Wardrobe Therapy Advice: New Year, New You
Let’s think back to December 31, 2015. What was your New Years Resolution? Losing weight? Getting that dream job? Working harder at your craft? Well, our friends at Wardrobe Therapy have created a list that will help you with all of these resolutions. They have brought together their expert styling skills and fashion sense to give you all of the items you will need to give your wardrobe a fresh start this year. The “New Year, New You” mentality starts with a solid wardrobe, but most people don’t even know where to begin.
It is definitely hard to dress as nicely as one would like to in the winter, especially while living in Columbus. Most days you just want to throw on a pair of sweatpants and head out the door. At Wardrobe Therapy, they want you to be able to finally change up your style while not having to put too much thought into it.
“Many times when entering a wardrobe, we find that people have their trendy pieces — a wild print jacket, a fabulous wide leg pant, a sport coat with a bold print, but don’t have the real foundation pieces that allow them to mix and match those trendy pieces in, too,” said Wardrobe Therapy’s Elizabeth Bean Smith. “Foundation pieces are key.”
Josh Quinn, owner of the popular Short North boutique Tigertree, gave his view on the exact pieces that you should be purchasing. For the men, Josh recommends the “Cover Cloth Mile Marker” coat from Filson.
“I know it seems odd to pick outerwear as a foundation piece, but stick with me,” said Quinn. “This is probably one of the most flexible, durable and timeless coats you can own. It’s waterproof and features an optional zip out liner to make it truly a three-season piece.”
For the women, Quinn went a different route and picked the “James Button Down” from Velvet Heart.
“It’s a super soft shirt made out of Tencel which is actually a fabric made out of wood pulp,” he explained. “It’s really breathable, lays great, is amazing for layering or on it’s own and goes with just about everything.”
With these types of essential items, Columbusites can easily recreate their wardrobes for 2016. Here are the additional “New Year, New You” essentials from the ladies at Wardrobe Therapy:
FOR THE MEN:
- One classic suit – Tip! Try a classic color like navy or black.
- A woven Oxford button down – Tip! Keep it simple with white or blue.
- A basic cotton man’s t-shirt – Tip! This can be a v-neck or crewneck style.
- One pair of dark denim.
- A lightweight sweater – Tip! This can be a v-neck or crewneck style.
- A trench coat.
- A Sportcoat with solid or small print.
- A tie and pocket square.
- A man’s bag – Tip! Try a briefcase with soft leather.
- Dress Shoe/Leather Belt to go along with your suit.
FOR THE WOMEN:
- One classic suit – Tip! Brown or black.
- A jacket and a skirt that complement each other.
- A feminine, soft blouse.
- A woven white Oxford button down.
- A basic v-neck or crewneck cotton man’s T-shirt.
- A short black evening dress… everybody needs an LBD.
- A glossy, water repellent raincoat.
- A pair of black pumps.
- Three pairs of tights.
- A large scarf – Tip! Try to find one that can double as a wrap for traveling.
- A black leather or nylon medium sized handbag.
- A small evening bag – Tip! Think of a clutch that will also fit inside your handbag.
This monthly feature on style and fashion is presented by Wardrobe Therapy. Stumped by a dress code or in need of outfit advice? Feel free to reach out to the Wardrobe Therapy team by phone at 614-321-2200, by email, or on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
Wardrobe Therapy is a Columbus, Ohio-based fashion consulting firm that specializes in wardrobe styling, personal shopping, and in-home outfitting for individuals and corporations. For tips, tricks, advice and more, check out their blog, and follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.