Our City Online

Metro

The List: 13 Most Endangered Buildings in Columbus

Walker Evans Walker Evans The List: 13 Most Endangered Buildings in Columbus12 of the 13 Most Endangered Buildings in Columbus — Photos via Columbus Foundation.
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

The Columbus Landmarks Foundation announced their annual “Most Endangered Buildings” list this evening during the group’s annual membership meeting. The list was created to draw attention to historic properties throughout the city that are in danger of being demolished for new development, or collapsing due to long-term neglect.

The 2016 list features seven properties carried over from 2015 and six new additions to the list. Seven others have been removed from the list — some due new rehabilitation efforts, and others due to a displacement by other more endangered properties.

Columbus Landmarks will soon host their “What’s Next” Design Charette to engage the public in generating ideas on how to adapt, reuse and save these properties. In 2015, Landmarks partnered with the Central Ohio Community Improvement Corporation (COCIC — otherwise known as the Franklin County Land Bank) to save and rehab the Franklin Park Medical Center building on East Long Street.

The new endangered buildings on the list include:

  • The Pavey Block (1904)
  • The Ohio National Bank and adjacent buildings (early 1900s)
  • Poindexter Village – Two Remaining Buildings (1940)
  • Edward C. Mills Second Empire House (1890s)
  • North Franklin Elementary School (1920)
  • Mount Vernon Avenue Commercial Building (1900)

The endangered buildings returning from last year’s list include:

  • Original Port Columbus Terminal (1929)
  • Indianola Junior High School (1929)
  • Elam Drake Farm (1850s)
  • Holy Rosary Roman Catholic High School (1928)
  • Columbus Railway Power & Light (1915)
  • Macon Lounge (1888)
  • Pilgrim Elementary School (1922)

The seven properties removed from last year’s list:

  • Franklin Park Medical Center
  • Trott & Bean, Architects, Inc. Building
  • Kessler’s Corner Grocery
  • Parsons Engine House #14 – 1716 South Parsons Avenue
  • The Main Bar (c. 1890) – 16 West Mound Street
  • Bellows Avenue Elementary School (1905) – 725 Bellows Avenue
  • Salzgaber Farmhouse (1904) – 1192 Grandview Avenue

For more information, visit www.columbuslandmarks.org.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tags:

metro categories

Subscribe below: