Save the Crew Announced as 2019 Spirit of Columbus Award Winner
Every year, The Columbus Foundation recognizes individuals and organizations who exhibit outstanding community spirit through their work and accomplishments.
This year, the foundation selected a number of figures involved in efforts to “Save the Crew,” including Dr. Pete Edwards, Jr., co-owner of Columbus Crew SC, and select members of the Save the Crew community volunteer movement.
Dr. Edwards accepted a “Jerrie” — named and modeled after pilot Jerrie Mock, the first woman to fly solo around the world and return to Port Columbus 55 years ago — on behalf of the winners.
“This moment and this award are an opportunity to celebrate all that we’ve accomplished together,” Dr. Edwards said. “It was a massive effort and a significant achievement for Columbus that will pay dividends for a long time to come.”
“Sitting with the community of fans in Nordecke and cheering on the Crew has been a piece of what makes Columbus our city,” said Morgan Hughes, one of the leaders of Save the Crew volunteers. “We would not give up. Even when there seemed little chance for the Crew to be saved, we kept on saying to the world: ‘This is not over. Tell everyone you know.’”
“We celebrate those who harness their passion and determination to make great things happen,” said Douglas F. Kridler, president and CEO of The Columbus Foundation. “The bold action and iron will of those who worked so impressively together to save the Crew is a shining example of the spirit that moves Columbus forward.”
Other winners of the 2019 Spirit of Columbus Award are as follows:
- Mayor Andrew Ginther
- Columbus City Council President Shannon Hardin
- Franklin County Commissioner Marilyn Brown
- Alex Fischer and Steve Lyons of the Columbus Partnership
- City Auditor Megan Kilgore
- City Attorney Zach Klein
- Key members of the Save the Crew community volunteer movement
- Senior Vice Chancellor of the Ohio Department of Education Mike Duffey
- City of Columbus Director of the Department of Development Steve Schoeny
- OSU Alumni Association President Jim Smith
- Pelotonia President Doug Ulman
- and Governor Mike DeWine
For more information on the 2019 Spirit of Columbus Award, visit columbusfoundation.org.