RIP: 12 Columbus Restaurants That Closed in 2014
While over 60 new restaurants opened in Columbus in 2014, we unfortunately also lost a few along the way. Here are 12 that we’ll miss, in no particular order:
- Otani Japanese Restaurant: After 36 years in business, Otani closed their doors in May after seven months of struggling to remain open.
- Hal & Al’s – This South Side stapled closed up after five years in operation when the former owner sold the business to soon become Tatoheads Public House.
- Betty’s Fine Food & Spirits – After a six-month long goodbye, the original Columbus Food League restaurant said its final farewell in June.
- Milo’s Deli: After 15 years in business, the original Milo’s Deli location closed its doors in Franklinton on February 1st.
- Cafe International: This campus-area restaurant offered a unique menu to the neighborhood, but only lasted 10 months before closing.
- Two Fish Bistro: The prominently-located Two Fish closed earlier this year to make way for Forno, a new wood-fired oven concept opening next year.
- Chez du Bon: This french market/restaurant only lasted six months when it was replaced by Fin Restaurant, which closed after two months, and later replaced by the Meat Bar.
- Cup O Joe Short North: After 10 years in business, the Cup O Joe at The Cap closed its doors. In addition to coffee, it was well known for lunch, dinner and a weekend brunch buffet.
- The Jury Room: It was announced in November that The Jury Room would be abruptly closing and would be sold to new owners who will replace it with a new concept.
- Bel Lago: This Westerville restaurant announced its closing after five years. A new owner is working on relaunching a new concept in the waterfront property in 2015.
- Graffiti Burger: The final Graffiti Burger location on Fifth Avenue closed this summer after a slow wind-down following the passing of one of the restaurant’s co-founders.
- The Old Bodega: While Bodega’s temporary closure was intentional for renovations and relaunching, many mourned the passing of the original iteration’s ambiance and food menu.
Which restaurant(s) that closed this year do you miss the most? Let us know in the comment section below.