New Renderings Show Plans for Historic Air Terminal
The non-profit organization behind the renovation of the original Port Columbus Air Terminal has released new renderings showing what the building will look like when the project is complete.
Ron Kaplan, Executive Director of the Ohio Air & Space Hall of Fame and Museum, shared the new images during a virtual event today meant to kick off the latest fundraising campaign for the project.
Last fall the group announced that it had signed a long-term lease for the building and would begin to restore it, with the goal of housing the new museum, an event space, and a second floor learning center.
A $550,000 state grant, as well as a $20,000 grant from the Hillsdale Fund, have already been secured for the project.
The building, located at 4920 E. Fifth Ave., was converted into offices in the 1980s but later fell into disrepair and has been vacant for years. It was used as the main terminal for the airport from 1929 to 1958 and served as the initial transfer point in the nation’s first transcontinental air service.
Moody Nolan is the architect leading the project.
For more information, see ohioairandspace.org.