Mansion, Car Dealership Both Land Historic Tax Credits
Plans to renovate a Frank Packard-designed mansion in Marble Cliff and a historic car dealership on the Near East Side both got a significant boost today.
The projects were the only two from Central Ohio to be awarded Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credits from the Ohio Development Services Agency.
The tax credits, which are awarded by the state twice a year, are used by developers to help close funding gaps for historic renovation projects that would otherwise prove challenging to complete.
Many different plans have been floated over the years for the Marble Cliff property, including one in 2018 that called for tearing down the large house completely. Used for years as offices, the house will now be converted into four residential units, and additional housing will be built on the surrounding property.
Known as the Avery Pontiac Building or the F.E. Avery and Sons Garage, the two-story brick building at 1199 Franklin Ave. was declared unsafe for habitation by the city in 2017, and several plans to renovate it have been presented to the Near East Area Commission since then. The latest one calls for a mix of office, retail and restaurant space.
Statewide, the latest round of tax credit awards will aid the rehabilitation of 51 historic buildings.
See below for more information on the two local projects, as provided by the Ohio Development Services Agency and the Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office:
F.E. Avery and Sons Garage (Columbus, Franklin County)
Total Project Cost: $3,000,000
Total Tax Credit: $250,000
Address: 1199 Franklin Ave., Columbus, 43205
This small commercial building in Columbus’ Franklin Park neighborhood once housed one of the city’s first automobile dealerships and garages. After the rehabilitations, the first floor will house office, retail, and restaurant tenants with a coworking space on the second floor. Original industrial features of the building, including storefronts, fire doors, and some windows, will be retained and repaired.
Lanman-Ingraham House (Marble Cliff, Franklin County)
Total Project Cost: $12,997,973
Total Tax Credit: $498,957
Address: 2015 W. 5th Ave., Marble Cliff, 43212
The first project awarded in the village of Marble Cliff, near Columbus, the Lanman-Ingraham House was designed by architect Frank Packard in 1908. Later converted to office use, the mansion maintained many of its character-defining historic features, such as stained-glass windows, fireplaces, and woodwork. After the rehabilitation project is complete, the home will contain four apartments while new construction on site is expected to add new residential units.