Looney Tunes Back on the Big Screen at Gateway Film Center
What’s all the hubbub, bub?
It might be Looney Tunes Rewind, a collection of the classic animation coming to Gateway Film Center beginning Friday, June 16.
“I have always wanted to bring Looney Tunes to the film center,” says Chris Hamel, GFC President and programmer. “They began on the big screen and I think that’s where they’re best experienced.”
The feature-length retrospective is composed of 13 shorts spotlighting Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tweety Bird, Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote and others.
“We’ve actually been working on this for more than a year,” Hamel says. “Rights are complicated, and sometimes a great program takes a long time to put together. But this will be worth the wait!”
Four of the shorts will be shown in 3D format (complete with an animated announcement to don your glasses). According to Hamel, the retrospective fits perfectly with GFC’s commitment to screening high quality animation.
“Somewhere along the line, animation became associated with kids’ fare,” he says. “But some of the best work happening now – and in the history of cinema – has been animated. We are investing in helping our neighbors experience the full range of animated cinema, because it’s really special.”
Looney Tunes Rewind will run for a week at GFC, right in time for the changing summer demographic.
“We are first and foremost a neighborhood theater,” Hamel says. “Sometimes, the neighborhood is the whole country, but we always take care of our friends on our block, especially in the summer. We are really serious about providing great family and kids’ movie experiences. That’s how we think about it first: How can we support our neighbors?”
The complete Looney Tunes Rewind lineup:
• “One Froggy Evening” – Starring Michigan J. Frog
• “Little Red Riding Rabbit” – Starring Bugs Bunny
• “Mouse Wreckers” – Starring Hubie, Bertie and Claude the Cat
• “Back Alley Oproar” – Starring Sylvester and Elmer Fudd
• “The Big Snooze” – Starring Bugs and Elmer
• “Feed the Kitty” – Starring Marc Antony the Bulldog
• “Birds Anonymous” – Starring Tweety Bird, Sylvester and Sam
• “Rabbit Seasoning” – Starring Bugs and Daffy Duck
• “Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2th Century” – Starring Bugs, Daffy, Porky Pig and Marvin the Martian
• “I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat” (3-D) – Starring Sylvester and Tweety Bird
• “Rabid Rider” (3-D) – Starring Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner
• “Coyote Falls” (3-D) – Starring Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner
• “Fur of Flying” (3-D) – Starring Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner
Standard ticket prices apply.
Tickets and showtimes at GatewayFilmCenter.org.