Food Trucks, Candy Store, Expanded Selection & More Part of New La Plaza Tapatia
West side market La Plaza Tapatia celebrates the soft opening of its brand new location today, Wednesday, March 24.
Gustavo Salazar opened the first La Plaza Tapatia at 4233 Shoppers Ln. in 2004. After serving the west side for a decade and a half, the Mexican grocery store is moving a mere 0.2 miles around the corner to 44,000 square feet of newly-built space at 255 Georgesville Rd.
Speaking on behalf of the owners, Vincent Fasone says, “In addition to outgrowing their current space, there was a need for a more modern Hispanic grocery store concept, similar to the present-day groceries located in Latin American countries.”
Though to describe the new La Plaza Tapatia as just a grocery store doesn’t do justice to the experience Salazar is creating.
“This new store will bring a whole new level of customer experience as compared to other Hispanic supermarkets,” Fasone says. “We want [customers] to feel confident that they will find an expansive selection of products that are fresh and budget-friendly, bundled with excellent customer service and an overall enjoyable atmosphere like no other in Ohio.”
More space means more products for La Plaza Tapatia, especially when it comes to fresh meats, seafood and produce. While the old store was stocked primarily with Hispanic grocery items, the new store will include more everyday grocery store staples, but still focus on its Mexican roots.
In its new home, La Plaza Tapatia features many unique sections and shopping experiences, filling the need of every day grocery store, to spot to enjoy some tacos and a beer on the patio.
The shop’s artisan in-house bakery and coffee shop greet customers. Dozens of cases will be filled with cakes, baked goods and pastries. As for the coffee, it’s supplied by local roaster Crimson Cup Coffee, and includes espresso drinks to frozen specialties.
Round the corner and its La Plaza Tapatia’s prepared foods section. While the old store featured an in-house restaurant, the new location caters more to the grab-and-go (or dine on the patio) crowd with hot and cold prepared foods. Previous customers will recognize many of the same menu items, as well as some new Latin and South American dishes.
La Plaza Tapatia also has a full bar with liquor license, featuring Mexican draft beers and cocktails like margaritas and mojitos.
Sweets occupy ample square footage as well, with both an artisan ice cream and paleta shop and a candy store. Fasone says about 75% of the dedicated candy store’s sweets are imported from Mexico, while other Latin American countries supply the remaining 25%.
Outside, there’s a patio where customers can drink and dine, as well as space for four food trucks, which will change on a rotating basis.
Outside of food, La Plaza Tapatia will offer the community services like check cashing, billy pay and money transfers to other countries. Fasone says that Salazar also hopes to utilize upstairs office space to welcome professionals that will provide the community much-needed access to reputable legal services, especially in regards to immigration, and accounting services.
As COVID restrictions ease, Salazar hopes to utilize a large grassy space on the lot next to the store to host festivals, concerts, live music and more.
With the opening of the new store, La Plaza Tapatia’s old location is now closed. In addition to its Columbus location, La Plaza Tapatia also operates a grocery store in Tipp City, OH, which opened in October 2020.
La Plaza Tapatia will celebrate its grand opening with special events scheduled for Friday, April 16.
The store is open daily from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.
For more information, visit laplazatapatia.com.
All photos by Susan Post
Editor’s Note: Photos were taken on 3/22/2021 before the store was stocked with perishable goods.