History of the Newport Music Hall
The Lantern wrote History of Newport Music Hall
Issue date: 4/8/08
It is safe to say every student at Ohio State is familiar with the Newport Music Hall, whether having been inside or passing it on the way to class. What many people are not aware of is that Newport’s stage is where U2 played their first American show, John Lee Hooker performed his last show before his death and bands such as Blink-182 rose to fame.
Known as “America’s Longest Continually Running Rock Club,” the Newport began as a movie theater in 1923. In 1970, Harry Laconte turned it into one of the Agora theaters and it remained that way until March of 1984. PromoWest owner Scott Stienecker christened it the Newport Music Hall that month, and in September of the same year, opened the venue with a performance by Neil Young.