Gifts Your Graduate Will Actually Appreciate (And Use)
The month of May means warm weather, barbecues and the start of graduation season. With thousands of students graduating college this year, you can count on being invited to one or more celebrations. So what do you give the new college grad? Here are four unique gifts they’ll actually appreciate and use:
- A New Laptop. After four or more years in college, a laptop has likely gone through its fair share of wear and tear. Congratulate your recent grad with a new laptop such as a MacBook Pro or Google Pixelbook. Both are great options for life on the go and can be used at home or in the office.
- A New Wardrobe. If there’s one thing a college graduate will need to embark on their new path, it’s a professional wardrobe. Gone are the days of wearing yoga pants and sweatshirts every day. With interviews, internships and new jobs ahead, it’s the perfect time for your grad to upgrade to a more professional attire. Offer to take them shopping for staple pieces, get them a retail gift card, or give them a wardrobe subscription that comes with a personal stylist to help elevate their look!
- A Gym Membership. College students are typically able to use their campus gym for free; but that all ends on graduation day. Consider giving your gym-loving grad a membership to their local gym or lessons for their favorite fitness activity. Another great option is a ClassPass membership which allows members to take up to 11 classes per month at local studios in their area.
- A Financial Gift. While the college grad in your life may not see the immediate benefits of a financial gift, they will appreciate it in the long run. Instead of money, consider gifting a ROTH IRA and making the first contribution. It will help them get an early start on retirement and allow their money to grow tax free. For something unique, gift your grad a checking account that offers benefits like roadside assistance, cell phone protection and ID theft assistance. This is a great gift that adds value and offers peace of mind.
Don’t have a graduate to buy for? Remember, May is also a big month for weddings, bridal showers, and teacher gifts. Try one of these ideas for spring gifting season:
- For the Happy Couple – Make their honeymoon extra special! Find out where the couple is honeymooning and give them a gift card to a local restaurant. You could also upgrade their plane tickets to first class, book an excursion for them, or work with their hotel to gift them an in-room couples massage.
- For the Bride-to-Be – A Custom portrait of you and the future Mrs. is a thoughtful way to commemorate the big day. And it will last a lifetime!
- For Your Child’s Teacher – Although gift cards can seem impersonal, an Amazon gift card is truly the gift that keeps on giving. For a more personal touch, pair it with a cute card that says “Thank you for being so amazing!” (Amazing, Amazon, get it?)
To learn more about Telhio Credit Union, visit telhio.org.
This is a mutli-part sponsored series presented with paid support by Telhio Credit Union.
Telhio Credit Union is open to anyone who lives, works, worships or goes to school in Franklin, Fairfield, Delaware, Licking, Madison, Pickaway, Union, Hamilton, Warren, Butler and Preble counties. Founded in 1934, originally as the credit union for the Columbus Telephone Co., Telhio is a not-for-profit financial cooperative where its members are also its owners. Driven by its philosophy that members come first, Telhio is committed to the highest standards of responsibility and conduct. Telhio offers a variety of innovative programs, services and products to support its members’ financial needs. Telhio offers nine branching offices throughout Central and Southwestern Ohio and nearly 4,000 shared branching locations nationwide. Federally insured by NCUA. Equal Housing Lender. All loans subject to underwriting approval and guidelines. NMLS #251831