Our City Online

Messageboard

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Where to get foreign currency in Columbus #1127646

    mwood
    Participant

    CHASE CREDIT CARD HOLDERS (or bank account holders):<br>
    If you have a Chase bank account, *or even just a Chase credit card*, you can go to a Chase bank branch and get and return foreign currency for NO FEE!

    So it sounds like you can get a very good deal (compared to withdrawing from ATM’s or going to the airport), IF you have a Chase credit card or bank account and go to a Chase bank branch.

    This isn’t entirely accurate. They do charge a fee for the exchange, it’s just built into their slightly-below-market rate rather than being an explicit fee. Going through Chase ended up being the best option last time I needed Euros, but it isn’t fee-free.

    in reply to: Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? – Primaries 2016 #1116817

    mwood
    Participant

    Personally…there’s no candidate I really want to get behind. If it does come down to Clinton and Trump, I’d think long and hard about a 3rd party candidate vote. Trump is the only person I’m 100% sure not voting for – still deciding about others as the field narrows.

    In first-past-the-post voting, voting for a 3rd party candidate is effectively voting for the candidate most ideologically opposed to you. If you lean Clinton in a Clinton/Trump election and vote for, say, Bloomberg, then you have effectively cast a vote for Trump.

    in reply to: Cheap event space recommendations #1108551

    mwood
    Participant

    My sister in-law did hers in the back room at Seventh Son and it turned out great. I’m pretty sure it’s easy on the wallet also.

    We had our wedding rehearsal dinner in this room. The rental was affordable (~$100/hr) and Seventh Son worked with us to set up a ticket system for guests to get drinks. We coordinated with the on-site food truck (Dos Hermanos that night) for dinner, but I’m pretty sure any outside food is fine. It was a great space for our event and was a hit with out-of-town guests.

    in reply to: Yelp's Top 100 Columbus Restaurants #1096068

    mwood
    Participant

    http://communityblog.yelp.com/2015/09/top-100-restaurants-in-columbus.html
    I’ve personally been to about 1/3 of these –but I’ve never heard of the top entry. I’ll have to make it a priority.

    I ate at Little Lebanon several months ago. The food was surprisingly good given the location, but I certainly wouldn’t place it in my top 25 Columbus restaurants. Lavash is a better choice if you are in the mood for Med, IMO.

    in reply to: L’Antibes project #1094903

    mwood
    Participant

    Matt said the menu will be high quality comfort food. Everything will be made from scratch. He hopes to do daily specials like Meatloaf Monday and Fried Chicken Sunday.

    Well that sounds generic.

    in reply to: Raising the Minimum Wage #557010

    mwood
    Participant

    I_am_Father_McKenzie said:
    Most people who make less than $10/hour (which is a tiny percentage of the labor force) are also receiving benefits in the form of “entitlements” and tax credits.

    I don’t consider 26% of the private labor market to be a ‘tiny percentage’. Source: http://nelp.3cdn.net/24befb45b36b626a7a_v2m6iirxb.pdf (2011 data)

    in reply to: Government Shutdown – 2013 Edition #552128

    mwood
    Participant

    joev said:
    I’d prefer that the shutdown affected ALL parts of government. Military, social security, everything. That way the people in government who hate the idea of government would reap the full harvest of what they’re sowing, and dumb voters would realize exactly what the government does for them.

    You are going to love the debt limit debates.

    in reply to: Manifesto – New Scotch Bar & Tuscan Grato – Opening Downtown 11.12.12 #517057

    mwood
    Participant

    John M Guffens said:
    Wow! A “rustic Tuscan Grato and full scotch bar”! What’s next, maybe a Vegan Sushi restaurant that plays Klezmer speed metal?!?! Lord…

    I see that someone hasn’t been to Hal&Al’s. Lord…

    On topic:
    I’m really looking forward to the opening — seems like a great place for a date night.

    in reply to: Barley's turns 20 anniversary party & tapping Nov 1 #516432

    mwood
    Participant

    Bloodthirst Wheat is one of the best wheat beers I’ve ever had.

    in reply to: Marriage Equality, Same-Sex Marriage & LGBT Equality in Ohio #484154

    mwood
    Participant

    bman said:
    If they are going to do it 2013 or 2014 would be much better. This (2012) would more than likely cause trouble for the entire progressive ticket since it will definitely motivate the right wing to come out in vote.

    I think you could actually argue the exact opposite. The fundamentalists are already going to come out of the woodwork in 2012 to block Obama. If anything, the far-left progressives are likelier to sit this presidential election out. Personally, I have no plans to vote for Obama, but I would absolutely come out to vote for gay marriage.

    @jbcmh81:
    I absolutely agree that voting for rights is not the best way to go about this, but it is far better than nothing.

    in reply to: Obamacare / Healthcare Reform – News & Discussion #379549

    mwood
    Participant

    commonsense10 said:
    the numbers i used were from the census before the bill was rammed through, no doubt they are worse now due to unemployment, etc. the system is broken, i think we all can agree on that. does the fix really lie in blowing it up for 85% of the country to include the other 15%? and letting the govt take control of it?

    Isn’t making up things fun?!
    For the record, unemployment has gone from 9.8% to 8.3% from March 2010 when PPACA was “rammed through” to today. (Source: http://data.bls.gov ) I wasn’t such if the Senate vote (Dec 2009) or the House vote (March 2010) was the “rammed through”, so I picked the number that makes your claim seem slightly less ridiculous.

    As for “blowing it up for 85% of the country to include the other 15%? and letting the govt take control of it?”, I don’t really even know where to begin. You should probably start by actually reading some sort of summary of the provisions of the PPACA since none of the things in your quote have any connection to what was actually passed at all.

    in reply to: Obamacare / Healthcare Reform – News & Discussion #379548

    mwood
    Participant

    commonsense10 said:
    both sides are complicit in the degradation of our once great counrty. until money is completely removed from the political process, nothing will ever be solved. they are in it for themselves, their reelection and their rich friends. we can argue until we are blue in the face but to do so is actually quite futile.

    The “both sides do it” meme completely fails to take account for the realities in Congress. Sure, both R’s and D’s are guilty of various levels of corruption, gerrymandering, and backroom deals. If that is all we are talking about, then yes, “both sides do it”.

    The fact of the matter is that only the D’s propose anything that come close to compromise and only the R’s have been nuts enough to force government shut downs over routine policy. Only one side will steadfastly refuse to accept a deal that is 10:1 in favor of policy they support because they reject anything that looks like compromise.

    Edit: I say this as someone who has no shortage of problems with capital-D Democratic policy proposals.

    in reply to: Occupy Wall Street Protests #462932

    mwood
    Participant

    rus said:
    Because government policy played no role at all in the housing collapse.

    Mainly the government policy that was aggressively lobbied for by those lenders…

    in reply to: Oscar Mayer Wienermobile in Columbus! 6/1/2011 #446628

    mwood
    Participant

    Will veggie dogs be available?!

    If so, count me in.

    in reply to: Legislatures to Consider “Ag-Gag” Laws #444014

    mwood
    Participant

    rus wrote
    So, if you really were in favor of free markets you sure as hell wouldn’t be in favor of increased regulation based on the bleatings of trustafarians. Limiting activism, in this case, is serving the public good.

    Anyone who supports free markets should have far bigger issues with US farm policy than Ag-Gag rules. To be clear, the way most food in produced in this country is produced has much more to to with ridiculous government subsidies that it does with free market forces.

    Also, does this Devil’s Advocate hat obstruct your vision so much that it seems reasonable to limit free speech so that eggs *might* cost a bit less?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Subscribe below: