Our City Online

Messageboard

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 902 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1116148
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>derm wrote:</div>

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>NEOBuckeye wrote:</div><br>
    Two words: New Rome.

    So your argument for the dissolution and incorporation of small municipalities including the takeover of their schools as well as their city governments into larger regional government organizations is the former community of New Rome, population 60.

    You dont maybe consider that somewhat of the outlier? Possibly the exception to the rule of say a Bexley, Upper Arlington, Grandview, Worthington, Westerville, Gahanna?

    You are assuming that these places are all somehow immune to corruption because of their smaller sizes?

    No. I made no such assumption. You are moving your core problem off in tangents now. We have gotten into the world where you answer a question with either a question or nonsense. Back to your point from earlier:

    In your world(my kids call it opposite world) You want to dissolve smaller municipalities into larger regional governing zones, correct? You have no actual data that supports your argument, only really two word quoting an outlier, near the outer 99% percentile and seem to be ignoring actual real world accomplishment in an extremely large subset of central Ohio municipalities that have measurable data.

    Given that Columbus City and Columbus Schools however have proven corruption and cannot seem to get out of the news in that regard, I find it hard you are using corruption as an argument.

    Question still stands. Other than a 60 person population previously unincorporated area, and comparing it to very well run municipalities that you seem to want to dissolve. What is your actual, more than two word argument that supports rolling very successful small town governments and successful school systems into the City/Region?

    in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1116119
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    Two words: New Rome.

    So your argument for the dissolution and incorporation of small municipalities including the takeover of their schools as well as their city governments into larger regional government organizations is the former community of New Rome, population 60.

    You dont maybe consider that somewhat of the outlier? Possibly the exception to the rule of say a Bexley, Upper Arlington, Grandview, Worthington, Westerville, Gahanna?

    in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1116118
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Lu wrote:</div>
    According to this 2013 Columbus Business First post, CCS spent more per student than Dublin, Worthington, New Albany, Gahanna, or Hilliard. Of course, it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison because student needs are surely higher in CCS than these suburbs. But equal spending per student doesn’t seem to be the key issue here.

    Regardless of what anyone’s opinion is on cost-vs-performance, common sense dictates that public spending per-student should be equal across the board. If anything one could argue poor schools need MORE money because they have more hurdles to overcome with the problems inherent with the student population coming from an impoverished environment. They need more counseling, more nutrition intervention, more security, more truant officers, the list goes on and on.

    Wealthier kids in secure, stable households are capable of learning with much less extra help. However, I will only argue for exactly equal public spending per pupil. Any extra that you want to spend on rich schools should be raised privately without gvt. help. (Booster clubs, etc.)

    Common sense dictates the opposite.

    The complete lack of common sense dictates that every pupil gets the exact same amount of money.

    If this was a clone world where every school was built the exact same time with the exact same material on an exact same piece of ground and every pupil had the exact same IQ and there was never any need for aides for special needs and every kid had great food and home life and every kid could walk to school the exact same distance and not take the bus and every kid could read and write and learn mathematics and every single town had the exact same number of kids and they could all buy the equipment for the students at the same time and every family had the same number of babies on the same day and they all came out the exact same sex then your argument would make common sense.

    Since that is not true it is completely 100% impossible for every single kid to have the exact same amount spent on them. That is common sense.

    in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1115895
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>GCrites80s wrote:</div>
    Switching to county school systems like other states have from the local school systems that we have in Ohio would drive the real estate people insane. They’d make money but would also have plenty of work to do.

    Ohio should have fewer municipal entities, fewer school districts that are consolidate at the county level, and even fewer counties for that matter. There are far too many of them today, created in a time when the scale of life and governance was much smaller than what it is now. I mean, Columbus itself sprawls out of Franklin County into Delaware and Fairfield Counties. This is just silly, and it brings the very purpose of county government into question.

    Also, propping up real estate agents who love to sell people a house in one school district over another isn’t enough of a reason to justify not considering consolidations at this point.

    The assumption you are making is that the bigger the scale, the more efficient and cost effective the governance would be. That would be the cost savings correct?

    So how efficient is City of Columbus government? The Schools? I have a pretty good idea of how Grandview is run and am involved in the process at least a little bit in terms of being kept in the loop on some decisions.

    I would like to argue the exact opposite of yours. I dont think your argument is a little bit wrong. I think it is 100% the opposite of what actually should be done. I think the size makes the governance way more inefficient, way less cost effective, much more likely to be abused due to scope and more likely to have graft, corruption, and incompetence. There are some recent news articles about the City/Schools that seem to support my argument.

    On the other hand the ability of Grandview to produce a top notch product with a horrible school funding model, quite honestly substandard facilities(by a ton, our schools are 100 year old falling apart buildings) completely landlocked city, very little industry, a recent history of the loss of a major tax base…..

    Other than your opinion, which as I mentioned, I think is 100% wrong based on real world results, what do you have to support your argument?

    in reply to: Why hasn\'t Clinton Twp been Annexed by nearby cities? #1115634
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>
    For what it’s worth, if Columbus were to annex Clinton and Mifflin Townships it would grow from the 15th to the 12th largest city in the US.

    Isn’t most of Mifflin Township Gahanna?

    City of Columbus will swallow Gahanna like the Kraken. Then Bexley, then Grandview. Then finally those places schools will improve and the cost savings of streamlining all their municipal services will skyrocket into the stratosphere. Unfortunately we will rename the entire area 270 X 270, and the ensuing confusion will make all the people inside the outerbelt move to the burbs where the immorality and poor ethics of the populace will then increase, mitigating all the municipal cost savings.

    in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1115627
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>spfld_expat wrote:</div>
    As a Grandview resident, sell me on why we should join Columbus. What’s in it for us?

    Obviously it’s not economically advantageous for you, however, there are a moral and ethical arguments about how we want to take care of our neighbors grow our society that you, personally, may or may not care about, but others may and may express that at the ballot box. That’s all I’m saying.

    Question, this is important.

    I am walking up Grandview avenue heading north. I am currently in front of the new Cameron Mitchell steak joint. I am immoral and unethical at that time and I get that.

    It is around Z Cucina that I am heading back towards the light or do I need to get all the way up by Sweet Carrot?

    in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1115490
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    Oh, and on taxes. I pay more by choice. Everyone in Grandview does. If I wanted the tiny drop in property taxes I would honestly move back over by Byrne’s. I dont. By choice.

    The Grandview Yard bump is a fallacy. Grandview has been white hot for 20 years since that was a Big Bear warehouse and was white hot even when it was an abandoned wasteland. It was white hot when the Arena district was an abandoned pentitentiary and was white hot when all of Downtown closed at 5pm.

    in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1115489
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>spfld_expat wrote:</div>

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>NEOBuckeye wrote:</div><br>
    As I said, the city of Grandview Heights probably isn’t going anywhere for the foreseeable future. That doesn’t mean that something else couldn’t be better suited to supporting the people who live within the greater Grandview/5xNW community.

    What I’m hearing you say is it would be better for people who live outside Grandview if Grandview joined Columbus.

    As a Grandview resident, sell me on why we should join Columbus. What’s in it for us? I get the economies of scale argument, but that aside, you can’t argue with results. We have great schools, great services (curb-side recycling years before Columbus, by the way), strong property values, a walkable neighborhood, great parks, even one of the best libraries in the country for a community our size. How does any of that improve for Grandview residents if we join Columbus?

    I’ll be direct in saying that many of these things probably don’t improve much. Some might, but others may even decline. Some economic development policies likely become easier and less cumbersome to facilitate and maintain, such as infrastructure improvements, maintenance, and investment along the Grandview Ave corridor which is currently split up between Columbus and Grandview Heights. On the other hand, maybe you don’t have policemen who respond to 911 calls to retrieve your golf balls or housecat from your roof. Poor you. On the flip side again, your property taxes very likely go down considerably since you aren’t paying to maintain a separate city council, mayor, and other municipal elected and appointed positions and separate services like police and fire. There is also no reason to necessarily believe that the quality of education would decline. In some ways, it might even improve.

    The more proper framing question is, how much has Grandview Heights benefited from its proximity to Columbus? Pick up the city and place it 30 miles in any direction beyond the Columbus city limits. Would it still be enjoying all of the spillover benefits of Downtown Columbus’ recent growth, including a massive, major new project in Grandview Yard that includes thousands of jobs relocating in from Nationwide? Almost certainly not.

    Municipal consolidation would be a formal acknowledgement that the benefits enjoyed by separately incorporated suburbs are only made possible by their proximity to and dependency on the central city, are derived at its expense, and are therefore unjust.

    Keep in mind that is how Grandview was first formed. People travelled outside the city to form a seperate location that took them the same amount of time to get to in the 30 mile radius timeframe you describe. So to answer your hypothetical question about what would happen. It already happened. Grandview is the result of the experiment you described. It just happened 100 years ago.

    You are also assuming that the area would be like it is now if Grandview were annexed many years ago. It would look nothing like it does now. Franklinton was annexed, it is similar distance, it had similar base housing stock. How does it look now? Clintonville and Westgate are similar neighborhoods to Grandview in radius location and housing stock. Shave between 20-50% of property values. Purely because of the schools. Clintonville gets the OSU bump that Westgate does not. What would Clintonville look now if it was a seperate entity school wise? Everyone my age that I know who lived in Clintonville when they were 20 are now gone to a better school district.

    There is also no possible way the schools improve if Grandview is annexed to City of Columbus. That has been proven, look at the City Schools. Grandview is already an A+ school, one of, if not the highest rated for its size. You cannot improve on being an A+ school, that is the highest rating already.

    I will further say I think that 5 X NW has improved way more by being in proximity to Grandview that the other way around. The crime rate is the best in all the C of C areas, the property valuations are inflated by proximity, probably as a grouping of that size square mile wise into the millions. Grandview provides help with fire and police to that area already and was primary when 3rd ave was closed the last couple years. I lived in 5th by NW before Grandview so I have experience with the differences here. I have lived in and watched the growth closely and been involved with both locations since 1993.

    in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1115417
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    Let’s be honest. There’s way too much duplication of local government in the US, and in the Midwest in particular. The City of Grandview Heights really should have been annexed into Columbus decades ago, as well as Marble Cliff, Upper Arlington, and all of the random bits of Clinton Township that still exist, including where the Lennox is. That alone would have easily resolved all of the current confusion over where people in the general Grandview area turn to for municipal services, schools, etc., and then this whole debate over “5xNW or Grandview” would have been negated because the whole area would be unified under Columbus municipal govt. and a common “Grandview” community identity, much like that of Clintonville, German Village, etc.

    Unlikely that this gets resolved in the near future because now thanks to Grandview Yard and a slew of general investment in the area, the municipal entity of Grandview Heights itself is thriving, and also since Ohio state law has been set up in such a way to limit and discourage mergers between existing municipalities and even townships. As Grandview Avenue itself illustrates, however, local municipal divisions remain just as messy, confusing and cumbersome as ever.

    Grandview wise, none of that is accurate. It simply does not exist as you have described. Grandview has always thrived, due to the schools, not the restaurants or the signage. There is no confusion. None. We had a rough patch when the Big Bear left, but we have always voted levies in so that was not problematic. We actually do have combined services with Marble Cliff and now Chamber-wise with UA. Not one single person in Grandview wants to combine services with any other community further than we have it.

    Is there confusion about City of Columbus services? Maybe, I would not know in the slightest. That is a City of Columbus problem.

    There is nothing to resolve. 99% of Grandview residents could care less if places two miles away call themselves Grandview area. I have been here 20 years. Not a single person in this town has mentioned this in any conversation I have had locally. The only places that have discussions like yours are on CU, period. 100% guarantee Marble Cliff feels the same, probably Arlington too.

    Our city services are elite, our city Government officials are easily reached and talked to, City staffers are the same. I know most of them by first name and have their cell numbers. Our cops and firefighters are awesome and will help with anything. One of the cops pulled his cruiser into Pierce field so he could stand on it to get a ball off the roof for my kid a couple weeks ago. They had three cruisers out looking for my in-laws dog a few years back when it got off its leash.

    Honestly, Grandview would evaporate if incorporated into Columbus.

    in reply to: Grandview Yard Giant Eagle #1115164
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    There’s an interesting article in the current issue of the Short North Gazette which talks about the “Where’s Our Sidewalk Signs.” There seems to be a groundswell of interest in the subject of walkability in Grandview Yard which has resulted in, uh, pretty much nothing.

    The walkability within Grandview Yard is/will be outstanding. The railroad bridge is a pinch point. It will be fixed. You can really see the shape of the Yard with the roads open. Wait until all the Nationwiders arrive. Wait until they extend 1st ave, that will make it supremely walkable to Grandview proper.

    in reply to: 5xNW needs to celebrate #1115163
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    It’s definitely not Grandview if you look at the streets/housing/(lack of) parks and businesses. It’s a more Columbus side of Grandview but to me when explaining it to someone, it’s still Grandview-ish area.

    To be honest, 5xNW is a huge reason why I’m still in Columbus. I wish the city had more places like this. Fairly inexpensive rent and abundant rental properties in decent buildings, very walkable (except the lack of sidewalks) and is in proximity to a nicer neighborhood. To me 5xNW needs Grandview and Grandview needs 5xNW. Two great communities cohabitation.

    As far as the thread starters point of it needing more praise? I don’t think so. I don’t have anything really bad to say about the area. I’d praise the area by simply attracting great people to the area, not the parks and side walks ;)

    I lived there before I moved to Grandview and it was and still is as you describe. Safe, fun, good to walk around. The Columbus PD told me that it is the lowest crime rate spot in the CofC and that they patrol it the least of all in the City due to being sandwiched between Grandview and U/A. It is getting better by the day. Wish I had stock in the 5 Guys spot across from the View on 5th when it opens.

    in reply to: Grandview Yard Giant Eagle #1114615
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    The roads through the Yard from 3rd to Goodale and even some of the side streets are open. Really starting to take shape over there. Starting to see lots of people.

    in reply to: Sweet Carrot Restaurants – 5xNW and Worthington #1113324
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    Went for lunch, very tasty, good price points, will be back. Packed with people but moved fast. Extraordinarily loud. Like U2 concert level. They are loving the Giant Eagle lot for parking and will seriously bum out if something goes in.

    2 nitpicks but they were major to me.
    1. The little metal containers for food are way too small, hard to eat without your food falling out on the tables. Never seen anything like that for service.
    2. They lined the metal bowls with paper. Everything there is sauced so your last bites of food are food and paper mixed together after it has fallen apart.

    Seriously, buy some plates.

    in reply to: Car Break-Ins in Italian Village #1112785
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    Was noted as well in the parking garage at Grandview Yard.

    This is not normally the season for it honestly. In the nice weather, while my truck will not get a window smashed, if I dont lock it, on generally any given day it will have been opened and searched for treasure.

    in reply to: 5th Ave Giant Eagle #1111846
    derm
    derm
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>OneBagTravel wrote:</div>
    Plus we’re all running out of parking especially the people that live in the area.

    I was under the impression that 99% of Grandview residents have a driveway and/or garage.

    Probably accurate. A good amount are one car space, or even a shared driveway with limited access. If you want to have friends or family over it can be onerous to park. Mix in the people coming to visit Grandview and parking is limited. Not complaining. Just stating facts. I have been here 20+ years, you just adjust and deal with it. We have one space and two vehicles. One goes on the street. Got to have your spot parked in early from thursday to sat for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 902 total)

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE