Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Your First Day as a Vegan?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Your First Day as a Vegan?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 594 total)
  • Author

short pants

I can empathize with RSR

I mean, I’d be mad too if I had to pretend that I didn’t think bacon was the food of gods

…all they get is some weird morningstar product that resembles Beggin’ Strips :(

pez
    Participant

short pants wrote >>
    I can empathize with RSR
    I mean, I’d be mad too if I had to pretend that I didn’t think bacon was the food of gods
    …all they get is some weird morningstar product that resembles Beggin’ Strips :(

Bac-Os for dogs

rus
    rus
    Participant

short pants wrote >>
    I can empathize with RSR

Very sad.

You really have to try candied bacon, though. Brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon or cayenne pepper… delicious.

short pants

Mmmmm…candied bacon….

*droooooool*

Andrew Hall wrote >>

PSA:
    Vitamin B12 deficiency …

Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause symptoms of mania and psychosis, fatigue, memory impairment, [b]irritability[/b], depression and personality changes.

Inadequate dietary intake of vitamin B12. As the vitamin B12 occurs naturally only in animal products (eggs, meat, milk); a vegan diet can produce a deficiency …

No need to thank me.
    A.

Andrew,
    Thanks for bringing up an important topic that is a common source of confusion and misinformation. Agreeably, B12 deficiency is a dangerous condition with a potential death sentence, and it is a human condition that both vegans and non vegans should be aware of. In my experience in health care (4 years), the majority of people that I witnessed or heard about from the physicians I worked with treating patients with a B12 shot were generally animal product eaters in their late 40’s and up suffering the typical digestive conditions that the misguided omnivorous behavior caused….

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/b12issue.html
    an excerpt:
    “Many people say that the only foods which contain vitamin B12 are animal-derived foods. This also is untrue. No foods naturally contain vitamin B12 – neither animal or plant foods. Vitamin B12 is a microbe – a bacteria – it is produced by microorganisms. Vitamin B12 is the only vitamin that contains a trace element – cobalt – which gives this vitamin its chemical name – cobalamin – which is at the centre of its molecular structure. Humans and all vertebrates require cobalt, although it is assimilated only in the form of vitamin B12.

B12 synthesis is known to occur naturally in the human small intestine (in the ileum), which is the primary site of B12 absorption. As long as gut bacteria have cobalt and certain other nutrients, they produce vitamin B12. Dr Michael Klaper argues that vitamin B12 is present in the mouth as well and intestines. Furthermore, Dr Virginia Vetrano states that active Vitamin B12 coenzymes are found in bacteria in the mouth, around the teeth, in the nasopharynx, around the tonsils and in the tonsilar crypts, in the folds at the base of the tongue, and in the upper bronchial tree. Absorption of the natural B12 coenzymes can take place in the mouth, throat, esophagus, bronchial tubes and even in the upper small intestines, as well as all along the intestinal tract. This does not involve the complex enzyme mechanism for absorption (Intrinsic Factor) in the small intestine as required by cyanocobalamin. The coenzymes are absorbed by diffusion from mucous membranes (11).

External B12 coming into the body must be combined with a mucoprotein enzyme named Intrinsic Factor, which is normally present in gastric secretions, to be properly assimilated. If the Intrinsic Factor is impaired or absent, B12 synthesis will not take place, no matter how much is present in the diet. A B12 deficiency can be caused by antibiotics (from the drugs themselves and contained in milk and meat), alcohol (alcohol damages the liver, so drinkers need more B12) and smoking (and all high temp cooked food is smoky) and stress also raises B12 needs).

Many nutritional analyses of foodstuffs were carried out such a long time ago, and, as such, have not taken account of more up-to-date technology. According to Dr Vetrano, current books on nutrition in the U.S. now state that there is B12 in any food that contains quantities of the B vitamin complex, but previously they were just not able to assay the amounts. Nowadays, more modern technology has allowed them to discover that there is B12 in those foods rich in the B complex.

The author does not believe that a vitamin B12 deficiency is more widespread in vegans or vegetarians – this is probably just another marketing lie! In fact, many so-called studies ‘showing vegans deficient’ have to be carefully studied themselves – many of them do not prove vegans to be deficient at all! In fact, contrary to meat and dairy industry propaganda, meat-eaters are known to be more likely to have a vitamin B12 deficiency – this has been known since 1959!!(1)

Having said this, we must bear in mind that many vegetarians and vegans still take antibiotics or consume antibiotic-containing foods such as onions, garlic, strong radishes and other foods rich in mustard oil, which are lethal to intestinal flora. The trouble is that once we have damaged our intestinal flora, it is difficult to correct without proper and knowledgeable health care and dietary advice. It is of far greater importance to correct intestinal flora problems than to spend our lives relying on so-called supplements. People who have a physical problem because they think they are not getting enough vitamin B12, are in fact often not digesting, absorbing or assimilating their foods properly because of the condition of their gastrointestinal tract. When their intestines are healed, vitamin B12 can be utilized and produced once again

Indeed, Dr Vetrano argues that the real problem in so-called B12 deficiency is a failure of digestion and absorption of foods, rather than a deficiency of the vitamin itself. She further argues that vitamin B12 coenzymes are found in nuts and seeds as well as in many common greens, fruits, and many vegetables. If we ate 100 grams of green beans, beets, carrots, and peas we would have half of our so-called daily minimum requirement of Vitamin B12 coenzymes providing our digestion and absorption are normal. From Rodale’s The Complete Book of Vitamins, page 236 we find the following clarification: “As you know, the B complex of vitamins is called a ‘complex’ because, instead of being one vitamin, it has turned out to be a large number of related vitamins, which appear generally in the same foods.” (11)

The cause of malabsorption is commonly a gastrointestinal disorder and this was known by pathologists way back in the l800s. In this case, one’s lifestyle must be assessed and brought into unison with the needs of the living organism.

According to Marieb’s ‘Human Anatomy and Physiology’, vitamin B12 can be destroyed by highly alkaline and highly acid conditions. This assumes that the B12 in meat would be easily destroyed because the hydrochloric acid in our stomachs during the digestion of meat is highly acidic. This may explain why meat-eaters are just as likely to have a B12 deficiency as vegans – even though their diet contains vitamin B12. Also, as mentioned earlier, another problem for meat-eaters is that there are normally antibiotics in meat plus the fact that many meat-eaters destroy their friendly bacteria in their intestines by constant putrefaction and the putrefactive bacteria naturally present in meat will give the body a hard time. So, the damaged intestines may not function well enough to enable adequate vitamin B12 levels to be absorbed.”

rus
    rus
    Participant

Red Sun Rising wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    PSA:
    Vitamin B12 deficiency …

Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause symptoms of mania and psychosis, fatigue, memory impairment, [b]irritability[/b], depression and personality changes.

Inadequate dietary intake of vitamin B12. As the vitamin B12 occurs naturally only in animal products (eggs, meat, milk); a vegan diet can produce a deficiency …

No need to thank me.
    A.

Andrew,
    Thanks for bringing up an important topic that is a common source of confusion and misinformation. Agreeably, B12 deficiency is a dangerous condition with a potential death sentence, and it is a human condition that both vegans and non vegans should be aware of. In my experience in health care, I never saw a vegan require a B12 shot

Funny. I have.

Here’s another one:

http://voraciouseats.com/2010/11/19/a-vegan-no-more/

Raw Foodsie

I think anyone who says I have a vitamin deficienty because I’m not a killer or harmless innocent lives has a vitamin deficietcey of the brain.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Raw Foodsie wrote >>
    I think anyone who says I have a vitamin deficienty because I’m not a killer or harmless innocent lives has a vitamin deficietcey of the brain.

Does b12 deficiency cause spell check to fail?

rus wrote >>

Red Sun Rising wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    PSA:
    Vitamin B12 deficiency …

No need to thank me.
    A.

Andrew,
    Thanks for bringing up an important topic that is a common source of confusion and misinformation. Agreeably, B12 deficiency is a dangerous condition with a potential death sentence, and it is a human condition that both vegans and non vegans should be aware of. In my experience in health care (4 years), the majority of people that I witnessed or heard about from the physicians I worked with treating patients with a B12 shot were generally animal product eaters in their late 40’s and up suffering the typical digestive conditions that the misguided omnivorous behavior caused….

Funny. I have.
    Here’s another one:

Please note rephrased correction of statement- Christ Rus, do you have a hot line notification to any post I ever make? The point is this is a human condition, not a vegan condition, so yes, while vegans can also become deficient, it is more commonly the animal product eaters who do, and the emphasis for this condition is focused on the wrong demographic. Furthermore, your “poster child” above has their own duibious issues and I’d list authenticity, motive and honesty among them.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Red Sun Rising wrote >>

Please note rephrased correction of statement- Christ Rus, do you have a hot line notification to any post I ever make?

If you want to post things I won’t read, I suggest putting them some place I don’t visit.

Perhaps here: http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/forum.php

ETA:

Red Sun Rising wrote >>
    Furthermore, your “poster child” above has their own duibious issues and I’d list authenticity, motive and honesty among them.

Missed this when you edited your post. If you have something to dispute her story ( not just that you disagree ), post it.

Raw Foodsie

rus wrote >>

Raw Foodsie wrote >>
    I think anyone who says I have a vitamin deficienty because I\’m not a killer or harmless innocent lives has a vitamin deficietcey of the brain.

All that death inside you has obviously manifested itself as anger towards others.

Go vegan go happy!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Wow.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Raw Foodsie wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Raw Foodsie wrote >>
    I think anyone who says I have a vitamin deficienty because I\’m not a killer or harmless innocent lives has a vitamin deficietcey of the brain.

All that death inside you has obviously manifested itself as anger towards others.
    Go vegan go happy!

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Damn, but vegans are amusing!

short pants

Red Sun Rising wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Red Sun Rising wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    PSA:
    Vitamin B12 deficiency …

No need to thank me.
    A.

Andrew,

Funny. I have.
    Here’s another one:

Please note rephrased correction of statement- Christ Rus, do you have a hot line notification to any post I ever make? The point is this is a human condition, not a vegan condition, so yes, while vegans can also become deficient, it is more commonly the animal product eaters who do, and the emphasis for this condition is focused on the wrong demographic. Furthermore, your “poster child” above has their own duibious issues and I’d list authenticity, motive and honesty among them.

if you’re accusing me of lying that’s hilarious. I have no motive other than to show you how hypocritical vegans can be. You guys just need to relax and quit preaching. I don’t pollute the forums with omnivore propaganda. Maybe I should….hmm
    I really do like animals and think they should always be treated humanely, even if they end up on my dinner table eventually.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 594 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: