Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Your First Day as a Vegan?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Your First Day as a Vegan?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 594 total)
  • Author
    Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Peanut butter in bean-based dishes is the sweet jam.

Omigod, Benevolence used to make this black bean soup with peanuts in it that just blew my mind, does anyone remember that?

And vegan french onion soup with miso!!

A little birdie told me that (depending on legality– I’ll need to speak with the lady who had been planning to reopen the place) I may put together a cookbook of Benevolence recipes in the future, as a fund-raiser for the Arc. It’s about GD time. Those were such great, time-tested favorite recipes.

Does anyone remember the potato bread?

All Benevolence soup recipes have a vegetarian AND vegan version.

Sooooo good.

:-)

Boy do I ever remember Benevolence, and miss them…..A LOT.

Tofu pot pie!
    Cherry Pie!
    Carrot Cake!!
    Tofu sandwich with that amazing tahini!
    Their salads and that awesome dressing!
    Their Highlands and Goddess breads!

And speaking of soups, their lima bean and mushroom soup did for me with lima beans, what Dragonfly did with form me with mushrooms; opened my mind and palate up to some damn good food that I thought I couldn’t stand. I keep hearing that they are still planning to open, but if they don’t and you write the book, I’m buying.

There are a lot of disappointed folks out there because of their closed doors.

Herbivore

Red Sun Rising wrote >>
    1-Next week is world Vegan Week and several local restaurants are officially participating: http://columbusveganweek.com/

Greetings fellow vegans! Red Sun Rising, you’re right about many restaurants being willing to accommodate vegan requests. In fact, many chefs get excited about experimenting with new vegan recipes. The willingness of popular Columbus restaurants to participate in Columbus Vegan Week is evidence of the growing acceptance and demand for healthy, cruelty free dining options.

I’ve just posted the press release and event details for Columbus Vegan Week here: Columbus Vegan Week October 24-31

a Raw foodist sent me this today with the following statement:

Raw vegan MAN. Raw vegan for 30 years, close to 80 years old. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaQ5cHmP1lg&feature=player_embedded

Another very successful facility for helping people cure their ailments without medications using a raw food vegan diet:

http://www.gabrielcousens.com/SACREDSPACE/SPARKTHESOUL/GABRIELSBLOG/tabid/364/PostID/91/language/en-US/GABRIEL%27S-OPEN-LETTER-TO-DR.-MERCOLA.aspx

http://www.rawfor30days.com/index4.html

Core_Models

I don’t want to live to 80 if I have to eat tofu pot pie.

Core_Models wrote >>
    I don’t want to live to 80 if I have to eat tofu pot pie.

1) Have you ever had tofu pot pie?
    2) The beautiful thing is, you don’t have to eat tofu. Lots of vegans don’t eat tofu. It could be a gardein pot pie, or just have protein packed beans, or nuts, or barley or some other grain instead of tofu.

Herbivore wrote >>

Red Sun Rising wrote >>
    1-Next week is world Vegan Week and several local restaurants are officially participating: http://columbusveganweek.com/

Greetings fellow vegans! Red Sun Rising, you’re right about many restaurants being willing to accommodate vegan requests. In fact, many chefs get excited about experimenting with new vegan recipes. The willingness of popular Columbus restaurants to participate in Columbus Vegan Week is evidence of the growing acceptance and demand for healthy, cruelty free dining options.
    I’ve just posted the press release and event details for Columbus Vegan Week here: Columbus Vegan Week October 24-31

Kewel!

I went to the Columbus Brewing Company for dinner, their world vegan week special was a chili pot pie, which unfortunately, they were out of. I guess it was a roaring success. But it worked out well, because they had a lot of items on their menu I could work with. I ended up with a delectable grilled and sauteed vegetable dish over brown rice:

Plantains, roasted red bell peppers, roasted corn, asparagus, carmelized onions, sauteed spinach, pecans, with a shitake glace`. I also requested a side of their balsamic reduction, which, if I would have just wanted to have dessert, I would have just asked for the plantains and pecans with the balsamic reduction; damn it was heavenly.

Herbivore wrote >>

Red Sun Rising wrote >>

Kewel!

I went to the Columbus Brewing Company for dinner, their world vegan week special was a chili pot pie, which unfortunately, they were out of. I guess it was a roaring success. But it worked out well, because they had a lot of items on their menu I could work with. I ended up with a delectable grilled and sauteed vegetable dish over brown rice:

Plantains, roasted red bell peppers, roasted corn, asparagus, carmelized onions, sauteed spinach, pecans, with a shitake glace`. I also requested a side of their balsamic reduction, which, if I would have just wanted to have dessert, I would have just asked for the plantains and pecans with the balsamic reduction; damn it was heavenly.

CBC adds a Meatless Monday Night Vegan Special!

A friend of mine just posted this:

I just received this nice email from Jennifer White, manager of Columbus Brewing Company: “Because the restaurant has received such positive feedback regarding Vegan Week we have decided to incorporate ‘Meatless Mondays’ into our establishment. Every Monday evening there will be a Vegan dinner special, available from 5pm till close. Please stop back again soon on a Monday for a chef feature that will be strictly vegan and will vary weekly. Thank you for the positive support! We at Columbus Brewing Co. believe in loyalty to community, so it is our pleasure to incorporate this event year round.”
    Columbus Brewing Company Restaurant – Brew Pub Located in Columbus Ohio’s Historic Brewery District
    http://www.columbusbrewingco.com
    Located just south of downtown Columbus, Ohio, adjacent to German Village in the historic Brewery District, Columbus Brewing Company restaurant features award-winning food and beer in an upscale-casual setting.

Here is the picture of my plantain dish.

short pants

Red Sun Rising wrote >>

short pants wrote >>
    I think it’s funny and ironic that vegans go to dragonfly, a “vegan” restaurant where the chef ground a live mouse up in the garbage disposal (I’m not making this up)
    If animals are humanely raised and slaughtered then my conscious is clear.
    Vegans all have a different line they draw in the sand as to what level of consciousness is ok to kill and under what circumstances. Frankly I find it annoying and I hate hearing vegan’s intolerant banter when most have no idea what they’re even talking about. Being vegan is a hipster trend and that’s why hipsters look emaciated in their skinny jeans- because they’re not getting enough protein/calcium/other vital nutrients.
    [/rant]

Wow. I’ve never heard of that horrible mouse tale. I will say that Dragonfly has lost a lot of vegan and non vegan supporters over the years; usually has more to do with personality clashes with the owners from what I’ve heard. No one’s perfect. What is your source for this mouse story? Note: Dragonfly may be a vegan restaurant, but the owners are not vegans. Most the providers of vegan substitutes are producing other non vegan products. It is the world in transition; not utopia, and clearly there is a complexity to this transition that clouds the view and may smack hypocritic.
    Considering the small number of vegans in the current U.S. population and that 60% of the U.S. population is obese and even more are disease ridden; clearly those with omnivorous behaviors don’t have a corner on good health. While some vegans may not be eating properly, it is hardly only a “vegan” problem. While I can certainly agree that there are unhealthy vegans out there and please consider reading the rest of this thread. It is abundantly clear that dietary excellence is not exclusive to the non vegan community, in fact as I’ve previously mentioned, the ADA says a vegan diet is one of the best ways to reduce your chances of disease.
    Would you consider that perhaps because we live in a dominant culture of obesity now, the view of what is a “healthy weight” might be somewhat distorted? Regardless of gender, an uncommonly lean person of 14% body fat is still considered healthy; conversely, over 23% body fat is associated with significant cancer risks (causes increased production of hormones such as estrogen and testosterone), among other health problems. It is no surprise that the leading causes of death, such as cardiovascular disease ranked #1, which alone kills roughly 3000 people PER DAY are diet related, and cancer ranks #2. What is self evident is that we are a malnourished nation in a toxic food environment.
    Veganism isn’t just some trend; wondering what your problem is with “hipsters”? But actually, that is another topic for another thread so please if you don’t mind lets stick with the veganism topic here, thank you :-)

While I understand that we, as Americans are grossly mislead in what constitutes a healthy diet, I do not believe that entirely eliminating 2 food groups is the answer.
    It’s called moderation- a word not found in overweight American’s vocabulary.
    Btw- chef Magdiale himself told me about the ground mouse incident.
    I actually like hipsters, I just don’t like how predictable they are in fashion, diet, music, etc.
    When a guest comes into our restaurant, I can actually predict who is going to order something vegan from the menu based on their appearance, and 8 times out of 10 I’m right! Stereotypes exist for a reason. Lol.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Oh man… the mouse is in the house.

November is World Vegan Month:

http://www.worldveganday.org/

Manifest peace :-)!

rus
    rus
    Participant

short pants wrote >>

When a guest comes into our restaurant, I can actually predict who is going to order something vegan from the menu based on their appearance, and 8 times out of 10 I’m right! Stereotypes exist for a reason. Lol.

Lemmie guess… either heroin addicts or vegans, eh?

614 Magazine Article on supporting Vegans @ Thanksgiving

http://614columbus.com/magazine/11-01-2010/v-curious

Vegan Green Bean Casserole

1 can French cut green beans

1 1/2 canisters vegan French fried onions

1 1/2 cups soymilk

1 cube veggie bouillon

2-3 tbs corn starch mixed with 2-3 tbs cold water

1/2 medium onion, diced

1 carrot, diced

3/4 cup chopped mushrooms (button, crimini or portabella)

1-2 tbs vegetable oil

1/2 tsp each of garlic, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, sage, marjoram, thyme and any other herbs to taste

Heat soymilk and veggie bouillon in a saucepan, stirring until bouillon cube disintegrates. Do not boil or scald the soymilk, simply heat it.

Saute onions, carrots and mushrooms in a skillet with the oil. Add salt, pepper, herbs and spices.

Mix the starch and water well, and pour into the soymilk/bouillon. Stir well, because this will coagulate pretty quickly. Add the can of green beans, the sauteed veggies, and about half of your French fried onions, and stir well.

Pour that mixture into a casserole dish or pan and top with remaining French fried onions. Bake in oven at about 350 F for 10-15 minutes, until the onions begin to brown. Remove from oven.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 594 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: