Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Millennials Dump Cars for Trains, Bikes, Buses

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Millennials Dump Cars for Trains, Bikes, Buses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Thursday, April 5, 2012
    U.S. PIRG Report: Young Americans Dump Cars for Bikes, Buses
    by Angie Schmitt

The U.S. Public Interest Research Group has been crunching the numbers on travel preferences among young Americans — and the news is not good for auto makers. The report — Transportation and the New Generation — is chock-full of nuggets like this:

Driving is down: “From 2001 to 2009, the annual number of vehicle miles traveled by young people (16 to 34-year-olds) decreased from 10,300 miles to 7,900 miles per capita—a drop of 23 percent.”

Biking is up: “In 2009, 16- to 34-year-olds as a whole took 24 percent more bike trips than they took in 2001, despite the age group actually shrinking in size by 2 percent.”

Young people even reported consciously driving less to save the environment. “Sixteen percent of 18- to 34-year-olds polled said they strongly agreed with the statement, ‘I want to protect the environment, so I drive less.’ This is compared to approximately nine percent of older generations.”

READ MORE: http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/04/05/u-s-pirg-report-young-americans-dump-cars-for-bikes-buses/

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Like.

I hate that I work in New Albany and that my rents live in Dublin. Otherwise, I’d jump aboard this bus!

News
    Participant

STUDY: Americans Driving Less, Especially the Young
    Janna Chernetz | Mobilizing the Region | Apr 9th, 2012

Amid significant growth in transit commuting in New Jersey, rising CTTransit ridership in Connecticut, Metro-North’s recent gains and a 1.1 percent increase in ridership on the MTA’s subways and buses in 2011, transit boosters have another reason to cheer: A recently released report from the New Jersey Public Interest Research Group (NJPIRG) and Frontier Group has found that, since the middle of the last decade, Americans have been driving less and traveling by foot, bike or transit more. The trend, they found, is led by young people, age 16 to 34.

READ MORE: http://americancity.org/buzz/entry/3529/

cheap

i would like to see this survey done in other areas

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cheap said:

The data used for the study in the OP seems to come largely from the National Household Travel Survey (PDF). Seems like the data and responses come from a pretty wide swath of areas and communities.

pixlfarmer

I recently returned to Columbus from a two-year stint in Manhattan where I enjoyed a daily commute along the Hudson River greenway. After picking up a copy of the bike map at Experience Columbus, I’ve got to say that I’m really pumped for the plans afoot.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:

Like anecdotally at a race track during teen night?

Cole
    Participant

cheap said:

Since we’re always told to think local, I am 27 and I have driven 2100 miles in 6 months. I bring up 6 months because I bought a new car in October.

So for me, I am driving less than the average 16-34 year old. I bike/bus to work and mainly drive on weekends for errands and any travelling.

cheap

Walker said:

what they dont say is what their choices are.

do they prefer to ride the bus,or is it because they are too broke to own a car?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cheap said:
    what they dont say is what their choices are.

do they prefer to ride the bus,or is it because they are too broke to own a car?

It’s all available online if you’re willing to look.

E5. For public transit like a bus, the subway, or a train to be a good option for
    {your/FNAME/AGE/SEX’s} commute, which of the following would be most important to you?
    Would you say that it’s…
    (FL5, AZ5)
    a. Close to work and home, …………………… 1
    b. Faster than driving, …………………………… 2
    c. Reasonable in cost,…………………………… 3
    d. Consistently on time, or……………………… 4
    e. Fits your schedule…………………………….. 5
    REFUSED …………………………………………… -7
    DON’T KNOW ……………………………………… -8

E5a. For public transit like a bus, the subway, or a train to be a good option for the trips {you
    make/FNAME/AGE/SEX makes} most frequently, which of the following would be most important
    to you? Would you say that it’s…
    (FL6, AZ6)
    a. Close to work and home, …………………… 1
    b. Faster than driving, …………………………… 2
    c. Reasonable in cost,…………………………… 3
    d. Consistently on time, or……………………… 4
    e. Fits your schedule…………………………….. 5
    REFUSED …………………………………………… -7
    DON’T KNOW ……………………………………… -8

http://nhts.ornl.gov/2009/pub/ExtendedInterview.pdf

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker said:

I’ve missed you, Walker Snark. Please come around more often! :)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Also this from the report itself:

The recession has played a role in reducing the miles driven in America, especially by young people. People who are
    unemployed or underemployed have difficulty affording cars, commute to work less
    frequently if at all, and have less disposable
    income to spend on traveling for vacation
    and other entertainment. The trend toward reduced driving, however, has occurred even among young people who
    are employed and/or are doing well financially.
    • The average young person (age 16-
    34) with a job drove 10,700 miles in
    2009, compared with 12,800 miles in
    • From 2001 to 2009, young people
    (16 to 34-years-old) who lived in
    households with annual incomes of
    over $70,000 increased their use of
    public transit by 100 percent, biking
    by 122 percent, and walking by 37
    percent.

surber17
    Participant

I just rode my bike 6 miles into work today ….. loved it.

cheap

a friend of mine’s kid fits this perfectly.

he’s 18,and not only doesn’t want a car, he’s actively resisting getting one.

they live 10-12 miles away from town, which is itself a small,somewhat rural place.

the kid doesn’t have a license, doesn’t want one.he doesn’t have a job & doesn’t want one.he doesn’t want to go to college,and any friends he’s met are on Facebook or some other instant message client.
    i wonder if he took this survey

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

^^ sounds like an outlier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: