Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Yellow Brick Pizza in OTE

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Yellow Brick Pizza in OTE

This topic contains 92 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  News 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

Yellow Brick Pizza is now open in Olde Towne East, 892 Oak Street. Hugh and I are heading over around 7:00 pm tonight. Anyone else want to join us? They’re open till 9:00 pm tonight.

YBPmenusmall.jpg

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very cool! I just emailed Orin about it a few weeks ago as it was originally planned for a June opening and there had been no updates in awhile. After getting no answer from him, I was afraid that the project was at a standstill. Awesome to hear that it’s opened!

Probably won’t be going out tonight though. We’ve already had our fill of dining out in the past week.

Looking forward to trying it out soon though! :D Let us know what you think!

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Well, Mae and I are here. I guess the rest of you are losers; you are all missing out on the opening weekend of what will, without doubt, become one of Columbus’ most fun pizza joints.

You are all obviously a product of inferior genetics. ;-)

Too bad they don’t have their liquor permit yet; I could use some beers.

DavidF
    Participant

So how was the pizza?

Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

I have been looking forward to the opening of Yellow Brick Pizza since late summer, when my fiancé and were looking to buy a house in Olde Towne East. The pizzeria is at the northwest corner of Oak and South 18th Streets, near several underused commercial buildings, and it opened on Friday, November 27. I did not notice they were open until we walked by on Sunday afternoon. Immediately we walked in, talked to the friendly staff, took a menu, asked how late they would be open, and we planned to come back for dinner.

The restaurant has about a dozen tables with another dozen counter seats, plus chairs for those waiting for takeout orders. The interior is friendly and inviting with lots of wood and exposed brick, drapes and trim in dark brown, and walls in two shades of yellow. (The brick in the kitchen area is painted mustard yellow, hence the name.) Instead of a jukebox, one side of the dining room has a foot-pumped working player piano, and the owner has a lot of piano rolls behind the counter — a nice alternative to a jukebox.

We decided to try two of their specialty pies, the Rhode Island Red and the Mad Greek, plus a small order of wings. I had intended to buy two small pizzas, but by the time we got there they had only one small crust left. The owner offered to make us a half-and-half medium-sized pie instead. We ordered soft drinks because the beer taps were not yet functional. Eventually there will be 16 brews on draft, including one tap for Abita root beer, which is made with cane sugar instead of HFCS.

The Rhode Island Red is perfect for people who like their pizza heavy on the sauce and light on the cheese. Usually a very saucy pizza means a lot of sauce ends up on the diner’s plate and hands, but in the case of Yellow Brick Pizza, the Olive Oil Red Sauce is rich and thick and stays in place slice to slice and bite to bite. The only cheese is a sprinkling of grated Parmesan. This was easily my favorite food of the night.

The wings were meaty, saucy, and served with blue cheese or ranch dressing. We ordered Regular instead of Hot, and the Regular turned out to be moderately spicy and sufficient to satisfy my craving for heat. The Mad Greek pizza combines a thinner layer of their red sauce with spinach, kalamata olives, fresh tomatoes, feta, minced garlic, and oregano. This was a tasty combination, however the richness of flavors fell short of the Rhode Island Red. Both were good pizzas to try, but perhaps not on the same night. I should mention the crust, too. It is thin and chewy with very little greasiness, and obviously fresh.

I will be going back. There are several other enticing specialty pizzas on the menu, and now that I understand their crust and sauce, I’m eager to try my own combinations of toppings.

TaraK
    Participant

Very exciting. Does anyone know when/if they will have a website up? I didn’t find one.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Damn.. I would have loved this when I lived over on 17th

adrock

I’m going to have to try the Charles’ Red Hot Pie.

Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

adrock wrote >>
    I’m going to have to try the Charles’ Red Hot Pie.

That one looks good to me, too. I would have ordered it instead of the Mad Greek if we hadn’t ordered hot wings.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, Mae. I’m looking forward to checking this place out!

technocowboy
    Participant

AWESOME. This place is two blocks from us, and we’re excited to try it. Hopefully, that will happen this week. Thanks for the review!

Exciting! I’m pleased that this place has come to fruition. Just another reason to the already innumerable reasons as to why I love the near east side!

TaraK
    Participant

Ordered a 1/2 Big O, 1/2 Classico tonight. Good stuff, and a good price. Really dug the Big O — highly recommend it. They were pretty busy when I was in. As others said, very nice environment.

Mercurius
    Participant

Stopped by tonight with some friends. Good stuff and they just got their booze permit today. Probably about ten things on tap and more in the cooler- $12 pitchers, good pizza, good music, nice aesthetic.

roy
    Participant

Mae wrote >> northwest corner of Oak and South 18th Streets, near several underused commercial buildings

What do you mean by underused? Some of the finest art in Columbus comes out of those buildings.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: