Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Yats Cajun Creole

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Yats Cajun Creole

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Yats Cajun Creole Restaurant Coming to Grandview Avenue
    June 4, 2014 7:45 am — Ayana Wilson

Arguably, if it’s one type of cuisine Columbus could eat more of is Creole/Cajun fare. Traditionally savory and spicy, real Louisiana-based food is flavorful, comforting, and affordable.

And it’s the main reason why Yats Cajun Creole is expanding to Columbus. The franchise began in Indianapolis, but has quickly spread to 12 locations across the region. It’s fast-food-meets-slow-love, and it’s one thing the city craves.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/yats-cajun-creole-restaurant-coming-to-grandview-avenue-aw1

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Is this a press release or a news article? If its a press release, “fast-food-meets-slow-love” <Vomit>. If it is a news article, it is oddly written.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If it were a press release, it would say press release on it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

News
    Participant

ColDayMan
    Participant

I enjoyed the Yats in Mass Avenue Indianapolis. Nice people and good food!

News
    Participant

Now open.

News
    Participant

First Look: Yats Cajun Creole
    August 27, 2014 7:20 am – Ayana Wilson

Bringing some much-needed bayou flavor to the Columbus food scene, Yats Cajun Creole held its grand opening this past Sunday, August 24th at 1386 Grandview Avenue.

This franchise of the popular Indiana-based company is run by brothers Michael and Jason O’Rourke, whose excitement for their new venture is only rivaled by the delicious – and quickly-served – fare they offer at Yats.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-yats-cajun-creole-aw1

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Had lunch here today with a friend and REALLY enjoyed the food! I had a half & half with Drunken Chicken and the Carribean Jerk Chicken.

Side note, the hot sauce they have called “Cajun Power” was awesome. I liked it so much I bought a bottle from their website.

Will definitely be back.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Met up with a friend here for lunch today. I had a half-and-half with Drunken Chicken and Chorizo Etouffee. Both were tasty, and portions were right-sized for lunch. I’d put it on par with J. Gumbo’s, which I enjoy quite often since it’s a 60-second walk from the office. I think you get a little more food for your money at J. Gumbo’s, but I’m also ok with eating a slightly smaller portion, as I usually don’t have a monster-sized meal at lunch time.

Also, this was a small nitpick detail, but I was kind of surprised to be served on styrofoam plates for dine-in service. With a quick-service quick-turnover style lunch restaurant I would assume that serving things in real bowls and washing them out wouldn’t be too much of a slowdown to operations. Is it also styrofoam for dinner hours?

That said, I’d certainly go again when in the vicinity and looking for a quick, fast, tasty lunch.

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

I had it this past weekend. It was delicious. I was there during dinner and they did use the disposable bowl. The portion was adequate, but not as large as some fast-casual rice or pasta in a bowl options. I had half chili cheese etoufee with crawfish and half chorizo etoufee. Both were delicious… probably liked the chorizo a little better. I tried all 3 of their sauces that were in squeeze bottles. One tasted similar to Frank’s Red Hot, one tasted kind of like a mild buffalo sauce, and the other was just kind of weird… smokey with sort of a horseradish taste. I think I paid $7.20.

Inside was kind of sparse. Granite EVERYWHERE… “bar” countertop (BYOB for now at least), tables, etc. Guy at the register was friendly. Overall, I give it about a B+. I could complain that the portion isn’t large enough to bring home leftovers, but for the price it is definitely worth it.

JackieC
    Participant

We went for dinner last night, the entire family of 3 ate for $16, and it was really good. The portions were a bit smaller than other places, but we all left full so that might be a good thing. We did not enjoy the disposable plates and especially did not like the plastic silverware. My wife and daughter both went through a couple of forks when they were trying to cut up their sausage in the reds beans and rice.

Next time we want to bring friends, has anyone done the BYOB option there, is it really just bring what you want with no catch? I’ve never done the BYOB option at any restaurant before.

We will definitely be going there again soon.

derm
    derm
    Participant

My guess is that they have not installed a dishwashing station. It is quite an expense, needs inspected before and after, has to have a certain type of drainage and needs temp to a certain point. Maybe they are saving up to get one I am thinking.

In terms of the chow, good tasting and the people running it seem nice as well.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

The plastic silverware and paper plates really didn’t phase me at all. Eating at a place like this gives me the same kind of vibe as a BBQ shack. I’m there for some grub, not pat the corner of my lips with a cloth napkin.

That’s not meant to refute any previous commenter’s point of view, it’s just my feeling.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m there for some grub, not pat the corner of my lips with a cloth napkin.

It wasn’t really a high-class/low-class thing for me. I was just surprised to see it used for dine-in service. Some places still use stryofoam for take-out, but even there it’s been slowly disappearing for more eco-friendly compostable/paper containers.

Anyway… just a small detail. Certainly not a make-or-break issue. The food was good.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

We went last friday. I had the Drunken Chicken and the jambalaya. Both were really good. I’ll be back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: