Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

X106.7 - The Alternative Station

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion X106.7 – The Alternative Station

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I was flipping through radio stations this evening in the car and heard 106.7 call itself “Your Alternative Station”. Have they been doing that for a long time? Or was this a recent rebrand or format switch. I don’t listen to the radio much at all, so it’s new to me.

http://www.x1067.com/main.html

Seemed a little strange to use that slogan. Sounds a little too close to CD102.5…

paranoidandroid
    Participant

Not sure how long they’ve been using that moniker, but it’s been awhile. Basically they play “alternative hits” from the 90’s to the present. But of course they’re now owned by ClearChannel, which means they only play the corporate playlists of major label artists that ClearChannel forces upon them instead of sprinkling in artists from independent labels. That’s the major difference from CD102.5…and since CD102.5 is independently owned, ClearChannel wants you to think CD102.5 doesn’t really exist.

X106.7 is a far cry from when this station launched about 5-6 years ago and prided itself on being commercial-free. However, now that it’s ClearChannel-owned you can listen to it on iHeartRadio if you’re into that sort of thing…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

That’s the major difference from CD102.5…

Oh, yeah, I understand (and appreciate) the differences. Just thought the tagline/slogan was strange.

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

It’s still on my rotation for some reason but I feel like it’s been rebranded really frequently. It’s been using that current line for a while now but before that it was trying to promote itself as a “Gen X music station”. That wasn’t for very long either and I don’t remember what it was before that.

RedStorm
    Participant

It’s been “alternative” for at least 2+ years. Really the only station I can find consistent ’90’s alternative rock, though they will throw in some top 40-type stuff too. Kind of a wide range of music whenever I flip to it. A more mainstream 102.5? (which kind of defeats the “alternative” tag line)

As mentioned, picked up by Clear Channel. I still like it though. There’s rarely any time that I’m turned off completely by what they’re playing.

GCrites80s
    Participant

X106.7 is a far cry from when this station launched about 5-6 years ago and prided itself on being commercial-free. However, now that it’s ClearChannel-owned you can listen to it on iHeartRadio if you’re into that sort of thing…

That commercial-free stuff is pretty common after a format flip to something new. When a station is new, it has to prove itself and also give the ad sales people time to drum up business. If you remember back in the ’90s The Big Wazoo didn’t have ads for the first 1 1/2-2 years.

dubdave00
    Participant

They’ve always been Clear Channel. It moved into the market from Marion to Dublin in 2007 as Radio 106.7. They were a little more 90s meets alternative/pop then… Lots of Coldplay, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Oasis, back then.

When the Blitz left briefly in 2009, they switched to hard rock for a short period before becoming the “Gen X” format. After Gen X failed, they slowly dropped the 90s hip-hop and evolved back to alternative like a year or two ago when the Mumford & Sons folk/alt stuff was blowing up. I think they’ve been “Your Alternative Station” since… Probably to get back at 102.5 for the “Not Clear Channel” liners. :-)

They were rumored to flip to CC’s iHeart EDM/Dance format, Evolution (Clear Channel even bought ‘Evolution1067.com’), but it never materialized and now the EDM radio format seems to be waning with the decline of dubstep popularity. As recently as March, 106.7’s ratings beat 102.5.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Wait what did the Blitz do in 2009? I remember it went back to Der Blitz from The Rock and got better for a little while before turning back into Seether/Shinedown/5FDP tribal tat rock. So it was just gone?

dubdave00
    Participant

Ha! I like your term “tat rock”.

Yea in ’08 or ’09, can’t remember when exactly, 99.7 became ‘The Rock’ and did a classic/modern rock hits format. They switched the name and format back to ‘The Blitz’ a year or so later.

tohmer
    Participant

I just heard that 106.7 will switch formats very soon. To Rap. What are we going to listen to when this happens?

Tom

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I just heard that 106.7 will switch formats very soon. To Rap. What are we going to listen to when this happens?

–<br>
    Tom

Rap.

dubdave00
    Participant

Interesting…

106.7 is a “flanking” signal as Clear Channel uses it to prevent other stations from hurting their core properties like WNCI. Perhaps Power 107 has been getting strong lately in the ratings?

That said, usually CC doesn’t like to pick formats that crossover to preexisting formats they own. Rap/Hip-hop would crossover into their WNCI and youth demos, but X1067 does that already and it exists.

The latest rumor I had heard for 106.7 was migrating news/talk from 610AM to 106FM but that was awhile ago.

GCrites80s
    Participant

X106.7 has been a watered-down version of CD102.5. Will it now be a watered-down version of Power 107?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I was flipping through radio stations this evening in the car and heard 106.7 call itself “Your Alternative Station”.
    Seemed a little strange to use that slogan. Sounds a little too close to CD102.5…

Since it’s Clear Channel, that’s just probably the same tag they use nationally for that format.

dubdave00
    Participant

Flipped to hip-hop today.
    Tohmer had the inside scoop… Back to 102.5 and iphone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: