Messageboard - Books

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

WSJ Critic Slams Contemporary Young Adult Fiction

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Books WSJ Critic Slams Contemporary Young Adult Fiction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

gramarye
    Participant

jackoh wrote >>
    Let’s be clear; a parent deciding what is and is not fit for the child to see or hear is, indeed, censorship (and can be detrimental).

OK, then if you want to use that extremely broad definition, then what we’re talking about here is specifically “official censorship” or whatever term you prefer to use to keep straight that there is a difference between regulation of content by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities and by parents.

The fact that I don’t believe that Penthouse should be shut down doesn’t mean that I think that parents should have a legal obligation to let their kids read it.

sirlancelot
    Participant

Didn’t read the WSJ review or the book. I recently read a library teen novel, “X Isle” (forgot author’s name) that was intense and I usually don’t read teen novels. Some of themes were survivalism in a post-disaster world, religious mania and violence toward children. 30 years ago, the novel would have been targeted toward adults. If WSJ was making a comparison between what teens already view today, versus an even more extreme teen novel, maybe they have point.

Teenagers today are facing a more difficult world than my generation, and therefore, must grow up faster. When parents “sex up” a four year old girl to qualify for a beauty contest, graphic teen novels don’t seem so important.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Books’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: