Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

World of Beer in The Brewery District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife World of Beer in The Brewery District

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author

satan

Kbear919 wrote >>
    offering a billion different brews from overseas = old beer that tastes bad. Just ask winking lizard..

Agreed. There are three Breweries right down the street with fresh beer. Then there is Bodega with the 50 taps specializing in more local beers. Not the most creative business idea.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Lots of beers cellar quite well and improve with age. Old ales, scotch ales, tons of Belgian varieties, stouts, barleywines, and numerous others. Most pale ales & IPA’s don’t age well due to losing flavor and hop aroma, but still… not really a problem for the most part.

I’m surprised people are whining about establishments carrying a wide variety of craft beer. Bring on the beer!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter wrote >>
    I’m surprised people are whining about establishments carrying a wide variety of craft beer. Bring on the beer!

+1

This is a new business investing in an area that needs it, and offering a drink menu that I think most people here could at least find ONE THING that they enjoy. Or at the very least wait until the place is open before complaining.

More beer. Less whine.

satan

Mister Shifter wrote >>
    Lots of beers cellar quite well and improve with age. Old ales, scotch ales, tons of Belgian varieties, stouts, barleywines, and numerous others. Most pale ales & IPA’s don’t age well due to losing flavor and hop aroma, but still… not really a problem for the most part.

On the contrary, India Pale Ales were invented in the 1780’s for better keeping during travel. Higher Alpha Acids and alcohol content preserved the beer through fluctuating temperatures and conditions. Furthermore, Imperial IPAs or doubles often contain an ABV of 8-18% and will age well.

While I can appreciate any growth in the craft beer culture for our community, I wouldn’t consider my statement “whining”. I just prefer to support smaller local businesses that keep their profits in the community, not out of state franchises.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

satan wrote >>
    I just prefer to support smaller local businesses that keep their profits in the community, not out of state franchises.

Me too, but I don’t think anyone really does that exclusively, nor should they be expected to give up shopping at Target or food from Chipotle just because it’s non-local.

satan

Agreed. This is cutting into my soul snatching time.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Satan, thanks for the history lesson on IPA’s, but I’m already quite aware. It’s still a fact and not opinion hop compounds degrade over time which is why IPA’s and DIPA’s are preferably enjoyed young and taste better fresh.

I do have a bottle of Dogfish Head 120 Minute in my beer fridge that’s about 2-3 years old which I’m looking forward to drinking, but 120 Minute is a unique beer and almost an exception. I have a bunch of Hopslam sitting in my basement from last year that I didn’t get around to drinking and tons of the hop character is gone leaving it malty, unbalanced and not nearly as good.

If you dig aging IPA’s and DIPA’s and consider the effect “mellowing” than more power to you. I’m not trying to argue with you, as it’s a preference thing. When I drink a hoppy beer, I want to taste the hops as they were meant to be enjoyed.

tolemac5050
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

Mister Shifter wrote >>

+1
    This is a new business investing in an area that needs it, and offering a drink menu that I think most people here could at least find ONE THING that they enjoy. Or at the very least wait until the place is open before complaining.
    More beer. Less whine.

well said Walker!

Matt Ellis
    Matt Ellis
    Participant

If they have a decent happy hour I may go, otherwise, you’ll still find me at Bodega

satan

Mister Shifter wrote >>
    Satan, thanks for the history lesson on IPA’s, but I’m already quite aware. It’s still a fact and not opinion hop compounds degrade over time which is why IPA’s and DIPA’s are preferably enjoyed young and taste better fresh.
    I do have a bottle of Dogfish Head 120 Minute in my beer fridge that’s about 2-3 years old which I’m looking forward to drinking, but 120 Minute is a unique beer and almost an exception. I have a bunch of Hopslam sitting in my basement from last year that I didn’t get around to drinking and tons of the hop character is gone leaving it malty, unbalanced and not nearly as good.
    If you dig aging IPA’s and DIPA’s and consider the effect “mellowing” than more power to you. I’m not trying to argue with you, as it’s a preference thing. When I drink a hoppy beer, I want to taste the hops as they were meant to be enjoyed.

Mister Shifter, I apologize if my ‘history lesson’ was out of place. clearly you are educated in the fine arts of the malt beverage. I hope the 2 year aging of your Dogfish head 120 minute IPA works out well, considering you just stated IPAs don’t age, and you are aging one. I am getting mixed signals.

Debates are just digital misunderstandings sometimes.

CHEERS!

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I wasn’t really trying to debate. The point I was trying to make with 120 minute if you see what I wrote, is that 120 minute is a unique beer, in that it’s one of the only DIPA’s (if you really want to call it that at nearly 20% abv) that cellars and ages decently. That’s why I said that that beer is somewhat of an exception.

Cheers to you as well.

deltaman24

I am soooo excited to have a World of Beer coming to Columbus!!! I try to fly down to Sarasota,FL as much as possible to try there beers. They have a beer tour. Main goal is 500 beers but it got raised to 2000 beers now. The goal levels are 50,100,250,500,1000,1500,and 2000. And each level you get cool stuff. If you like good beers and like a place where the bartenders know everything about every beer to help you find what you want then this will be the place for you togo. And if you like bud light, miller, coors…well theirs a gas station down the road. Because this is World of Beer, not World of boring beers. ha! But i think that this will be a good add for the brewery district. strongest beer that they sell at the sarasota location is the dogfish 120 and hello,,,it is very strong $20 for a 12oz bottle.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Uh, okay.

Welcome first time poster.

cc

Mister Shifter said:
    Uh, okay.

Welcome first time poster.

Do you think a ‘World of Beer’ would not have an entourage?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

He’s just a citizen of the World.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE