Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

World of Beer in The Brewery District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife World of Beer in The Brewery District

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Saloon specializing in ‘craft beer’ to open in Brewery District

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

By GARY SEMAN JR.

ThisWeek Community Newspapers

It seems like a natural fit: a beer-oriented saloon moving to the Brewery District. A local developer will open the first Midwest location of World of Beer, a Tampa, Fla.-based company that specializes in suds – and lots of them.

Mark Pottschmidt, a developer with Stanbery Development, will team up with Darren Greene from Polaris Grill on the World of Beer franchise, which will take more than 3,900 square feet of space in the historic Worly Building, 503 S. Front St. It should be open by the end of September.

The place will offer more than 50 beers on tap from more than 40 countries across the globe, plus 500 beers by the bottle. All employees are required to attend a two-week beer school to get educated about the various styles.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/germanvillage/stories/2011/06/22/saloon-specializing-in-craft-beer-to-open-in-brewery-district.html?sid=104

MORE ONLINE AT http://wobusa.com

cc

Seems a nice compliment to Shadowbox. Have not been to the Brewery District for a brew since Clinton was president.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Shadowbox + World of Beer + Via Vecchia + Outland

I think the Brewery District is posed well for a nightlife comeback. These types of unique destinations are exactly what the neighborhood needs.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I like beer.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    I like beer.

+1

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

Something tells me I’m going to be “working” much longer hours …

Tenzo
    Participant

Is that the big wharehouse like place, three stories tall, next to the shadowbox with the giant artificial palm trees inside it?

For the last three weeks I have been driving by that place and seing construction trucks parked in it. If not, what the heck is going on in the big one.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The construction trucks might be fore Shadowbox, which is right next door.

Haven’t heard anything for the old “Brewmasters Gate” location. Funny that there are still palm trees inside it. ;)

b.miller
    Participant

Double Happiness is down there now, too.

cc

Walker wrote >>
    The construction trucks might be fore Shadowbox, which is right next door.
    Haven’t heard anything for the old “Brewmasters Gate” location. Funny that there are still palm trees inside it. ;)

It lives on via the web, didn’t realize it limped on until ’05.
    http://www.brewmastersgate.com/home.htm

turbo ninja
    Participant

Tenzo – 503 S. Front is the brick building with the turrets on the corner. CD101 used to have the left half of the ground floor.

A fitting location for a place selling a bajillion kinds of brew, as the CD101 studios/offices were pretty much just a cash register away from being a big beer bar from time to time.

offering a billion different brews from overseas = old beer that tastes bad. Just ask winking lizard..

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

Kbear919 wrote >>
    offering a billion different brews from overseas = old beer that tastes bad. Just ask winking lizard..

I promise to do a lot of research and let you know how accurate you are in a few months. ;)

RandomVisitor
    Participant

Good for the Brewery District!!

If they plan to open by September then I hope that they have been working on this project for a long time because with a change of use of that space from an office to a “gathering place” the City of Columbus can take months to review and approve the building permits.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RandomVisitor wrote >>
    If they plan to open by September then I hope that they have been working on this project for a long time because with a change of use of that space from an office to a “gathering place” the City of Columbus can take months to review and approve the building permits.

When I went to preview the Backstage Bistro next door in early May, the Shadowbox crew already knew about World of Beer (they’re the ones who first told me about it) so it’s at least been a work in progress since then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE