Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Working visa for the States

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Working visa for the States

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • #99789


    Hello all!

    I’m a Brit so need one of the above for when I head over in the Spring.

    I’ve been battling through various sources and following contradictory advice.

    I imagine that few of you have ever needed one of these (!) but thought you might have some tips or can point in the direction of a good website to help me navigate through the labyrinth!



    Maybe contact the US embassy where you live?


    Can you get a work visa without a job? Our English friends had theirs initiated by their employers I think.



    i would think the best resource would be those offered by the Department of State. i am presuming you are pursuing a temporary non-immigrant work visa? even assuming that, the type of visa depends on the classification of work you are seeking, your nationality, your qualifications and a host of other details.





    Yes I’ve been in contact with the Embassy but I speak to a different person everytime I am there – or every time I call – and I am told something different each time!

    Thanks for the links Dru. I will have a look now.

    I was recommended this site here[/url] but I think this it is most useful for those applying for a full immigration visa.



    You will need to deal with USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services), they are the ones with all the information: http://www.uscis.gov/ I’d start out by looking which category visa best applies to your work situation. Often, it’s not easy to very hard to get one. H1Bs (which is what my husband came on, with me on an H4) for example have waits depending on company type you work for, country you’re from etc. Then go from there.

    One thing you can do yourself is play the green card lottery. It has closed for this year, though: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ No need to pay a company to help you, there are good instructions on the web on how to fill everything out yourself (and get a proper photo).

    Also, I’ve found that expat forums often have FAQs on the topic, and may generally be more helpful regarding immigration issues as everone there has had to deal with it vs. probably few people here. Britain in particular should have plenty expat forums.

    Good luck!



    AnnaRos, you should contact an attorney who specialises in immigration law. The Columbus Bar Association can refer you to one. You also might want to check out some legal references on immigration law (Steele On Immigration, for example) which are updated frequently because they cover green cards and work visas. The application process is complex with frequent changes in rules and forms. If you are a student, that might affect your eligibility.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: