Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Woodlands Tavern (formerly the Thirsty Ear)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Woodlands Tavern (formerly the Thirsty Ear)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Misplaced
    Participant

Does anyone know if the music at Woodlands is pretty much the same as when it was the Ear? With all of the recent changes (name, patio, expansion into the neighboring space) I’m just curious if they plan to book different types of bands as well.

duncanfj
    Participant

Try this[/url]

yurtgirl
    yurtgirl
    Participant

Oooo….Stone Arrogant Bastard on draft…..worth checking out tomorrow…..I’ll leave a review if I go and am sober enough to type; that beer is wicked!

Misplaced
    Participant

duncanfj wrote >>
    Try this[/url]

Yeah, I’ve been to the website, but was hoping to get some insider info. I’m not seeing many familiar band names on their schedule. Are they still the home base for the Columbus Blues Alliance? Any “scoop” would be appreciated.

duncanfj
    Participant

Misplaced wrote >>

duncanfj wrote >>
    Try this[/url]

Yeah, I’ve been to the website, but was hoping to get some insider info. I’m not seeing many familiar band names on their schedule. Are they still the home base for the Columbus Blues Alliance? Any “scoop” would be appreciated.

As it says that the Woodlands Tavern is the home of the blues on the Columbus Blues Alliance web page, that would be my guess.

GW_Justice
    Participant

Why does the Woodlands use “Grandview OH” in both the contact address and in the title on every page on the website? It is in 5XNW. Columbus OH.

If all the businesses in the 5XNW start using the correct name, it will have an identity of its own. That identity includes “just north of Grandview”, but it can stand up as a place that has it’s own mental image in the city. Not just “wants to be Grandview”.

dsigner
    Participant

So is it the same ownership or a complete change? And how’s the food?

KittyM

Loved the Thisrty Ear (always a good stop for live music on Grandview bar crawl). Met new owner Jimmy Woodland during first visit to the new bar recently–he’s a likable guy who seems to love the local bar business. Great things in store for Woodland’s.

Building on Thirsty Ear’s local/regional music tradition, Woodland is working with strong local bookers to expand the tavern into a two-room, med-capacity venue that features a wider variety of (orig.)music (but still hosts the blues).

Friends and colleagues already love this place–IMO it’s a strong addition to local music clubs, esp. in Grdvw. Not sur if they’ve got the in-house pizza joint yet…?

Misplaced
    Participant

KittyM wrote >>
    Loved the Thisrty Ear (always a good stop for live music on Grandview bar crawl). Met new owner Jimmy Woodland during first visit to the new bar recently–he’s a likable guy who seems to love the local bar business. Great things in store for Woodland’s.
    Building on Thirsty Ear’s local/regional music tradition, Woodland is working with strong local bookers to expand the tavern into a two-room, med-capacity venue that features a wider variety of (orig.)music (but still hosts the blues).
    Friends and colleagues already love this place–IMO it’s a strong addition to local music clubs, esp. in Grdvw. Not sur if they’ve got the in-house pizza joint yet…?

Thanks, that’s the info I was looking for.

Even though folks would always complain that the Ear was so cramped and loud, I think that is what was always so charming about it. But, as long as the new owner will still book some blues bands, I’ll be okay with the larger space. Sounds like the awesome beer selection is the same and, in my opinion, the food is decent for a music joint. It has always been my favorite place to see Ray Fuller, Terry Davidson and the Gears and the many other “regulars” they’ve booked for years…hope that doesn’t change.

cyclist II
    Participant

Mikey’s Late Night Slice is the food operator at Woodlands. Same menu as the truck and the Short North location. No Faygo though. A growing Columbus brand

somertimeoh
    Participant

Wow, that pizza is delish! Now if Lew would stop being such a Grandview hater I might actually get some :)

Went for a drink with friends and received terrible service. The bartender was too busy talking to her friend to tell me that I had to retrieve my own drink and just left it sitting on the bar until it had been so long (like 1/2 an hour and the place was 3/4’s empty) that I went looking for it!

And, it isn’t a matter of hating Grandview – per Lew’s comments. It is a matter of calling an area of town by its proper name. Grandview has its own taxes, police force, fire department, etc. It would be like insisting on calling Upper Arlington “Columbus”. 5XNW is a part of Columbus whereas Grandview is a separate city.

AMEEKER
    Participant

@constant_comment @GW Justice

Thank you. To me, it’s about people recognizing that so many of the great places they enjoy (and so many they don’t know about) are in this little cool pocket of Columbus that is working hard on becoming something unique.

Urban garden, bike paths, tree planting, commercial real estate tour, pizza crawl – cool stuff happening here!

cc

I know several people who refer to that area as the ‘Tri-Village’. I think 5xNW hasn’t really caught on yet as it seems to be a fairly new term for the area. I think ‘Grandview’ caught on as Columbus was too broad a term, and the other terms were never used by a significant amount of the community.

I try to use the term 5xNW when describing it, but sadly, a lot of people think I am talking about the corner with a UDF, Chipotle, Mark Pi’s and Verizon Store.

Maybe more visible branding (actual signs) would help?

bayrea
    Participant

cc wrote >>

I try to use the term 5xNW when describing it, but sadly, a lot of people think I am talking about the corner with a UDF, Chipotle, Mark Pi’s and Verizon Store.

Maybe it’s because those businesses are actually on the corner of 5th and NW… Woodlands is 1/2 mile away near the corner of 3rd and NW.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: