Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wonderland Columbus - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Wonderland Columbus – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,499 total)
  • Author

leftovers

Was reading about Junctionview in the Dispatch and Wonderland got a small soundbite. According to Adam there is still a pulse.

[i]A new Wonderland is “still in motion,” said Brouillette, who in the interim is working to help Junctionview tenants find new homes.[/i]

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/02/11/junctionview-studios-to-close.html

Coy
    Participant

leftovers said:
    According to Adam

lol.

leftovers said:
    Was reading about Junctionview in the Dispatch and Wonderland got a small soundbite. According to Adam there is still a pulse.

[i]A new Wonderland is “still in motion,” said Brouillette, who in the interim is working to help Junctionview tenants find new homes.[/i]

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/02/11/junctionview-studios-to-close.html

Feels pretty safe to chalk up “still in motion” to some seriously wishful thinking at this point.

la bauta

Well, if [url=http://non-profit-organizations.findthebest.com/l/1864502/Wonderland-Columbus-Inc]this listing[/url] is accurate, wishful thinking pays off.

[b]Revenue Amount:$126,240[/b]

dogfart
    Participant

cbusarts

Like most people here, I do not want to get involved in all this Wonderland drama. We have a very small and tight-knit community here in Columbus and I see most of these people on a weekly basis. I don’t believe they are bad people, but I can’t stay quiet about what I’m seeing happen.

Since Wonderland is a non-profit, any John Q. Public can get a copy of their IRS forms. Here’s a copy of theirs from 2011 which is where that FindTheBest probably got its information from:

Like most things from or for the IRS, it’s not a very exciting read, so I’ve pulled out some information that I find to be most pertinent.

End of fiscal year 2010 funds: $1185

2011 INCOME

contributions, gifts, grants $122,803
    program service revenue $3,435
    Investment income $2
    Total Revenue $126,240

EXPENSES

salaries, other compensation, and employee benefits $0
    professional fees and other payments to independent contractors $113,685

This I find interesting because they go out of their way to mention they have no employees. I’ve seen the inside of a few non-profits in my day, and this is a bit strange. What this is saying is that the ED is not an employee of Wonderland but an independent contractor. More info on why that’s a little fishy here:

“An executive director should not be an independent contractor. This is because they would likely fail multiple questions of the IRS’s 20 Factor Test. The most obvious one that comes to mind is #3 on the 20 Factor Test- Integration. The IRS says that if the services that someone is providing for an organization are vital and ongoing for the organization’s success (i.e. they are providing continuing day-to-day work) then they are probably not an independent contractor.”

(http://nonprofitsos.blogspot.com/2008/11/reader-question-can-executive-director.html)

2011 EXPENSES continued…
    occupancy, rent, utilities $57
    printing, publications, postage, and shipping $2764
    other expenses $1331
    Total Expenses $117,837

Total Assets at the end of 2011: $9588

Not sure how many warehouses are going for sub $10k…

Here’s a more thorough breakdown of their expenses as far as programing and events go:

Programming- Wonderland has developed and employed a series of unique programming geared towards connecting creative individuals with the community Cinemusica, Science Fair, QR Code Art Show, Shirt Show, and several others have been developed as unique ways for the public and the creative community to connect. These efforts helped over 1500 people experience creative culture in a new way $32,960

Collaboration- Wonderland has provided a series of conversations with the public and creative individuals and organizations this collaboration building has served as the foundation for our unique effort by building bridges in the creative community Wonderland has developed relationships between over 120 organizations and over 500 individuals $30,525

Education- Wonderland provided a series of educational programs to expand the skills, abilities, and resources of artists and the public Through the Wonderland Wunderblender series, our constituents were able to learn new skills from other individuals they had met Wonderland has worked to continue fostering the educational connections between the individuals Involved These efforts enabled over 100 individuals to new educational experiences $16,480

Total Program services $79,965

Part IV – List of Officers, Directors, Trustees, and Key Employees

No mention of Executive Director, only board members. There’s actually no mention of their Executive Director in the full 10 page IRS document.

I’m not sure if this will be helpful at all to anyone, but as a person who is familiar with non-profits and the Arts I found it interesting. We’re 1000 posts into this thread and a full year without any information from the people running this. There’s a reason people are talking about this project so much. Our community poured a lot of time and effort into this and I feel we’re no closer to really understanding what exactly happened here.

mrpoppinzs

Just let it go, we have more on our plates.

[img]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0067/1212/products/columbus-neighborhoods-map_00a_1_1024x1024.jpg?168[/img]

Coy
    Participant

Well, I’d like to thank cbusarts for pointing out the gaping hole in la buata’s claim….
    Namely, that they HAD $126k… they now have less than $10.

And what exactly do they have to show for it?
    $70k of that at least was public funding.

The verbiage and lack of accountability in this document provided show a planned avoidance of responsibility on the part of the Executive Director that is highly unusual in a nonprofit org.

Running a nonprofit for which you seek out public grants as the chief officer, only then turning around and paying yourself as an independent contractor is fraudulent.

Where was the board of directors when this was happening?
    Better yet, who at GCAC of the Cbus Foundation is holding WL responsible for how they handled the money.
    The more light that gets shown on this project, the more embarrassing it becomes.

Coy
    Participant

Also, those attendance numbers WL is purporting are crazy overblown, imo.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Which is why I don’t understand the “just let it go” mentality. How about some resolution first?

la bauta

Don’t be so hard on Brouillette- he did, after all, keep Wonderland’s expenses for “occupancy, rent, utilities and maintenance” down to a mere $57. UIn this economy, that takes real talent!

Coy
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Which is why I don’t understand the “just let it go” mentality. How about some resolution first?

LOL. Kudos Snarf…
    I actually expected to get zinged by you in some way on this topic… ha!

I really think that, in spite of the unholy mess that WL has made of the scene and monies it was given, this continues to be an informative topic about the future of Cbus arts and how to NOT run a nonprofit.
    If we really want to be on the map for arts, then these issues need hashed out and resolved.
    People need to understand that they can’t misuse the public trust placed in nonprofits and expect no reaction from the public.

And Columbus artists need to stop being afraid to speak out about the misbehavior of the people in critical positions around the city for fear of reprisal ( probably the next most disturbing thing to come out of this, after the misuse of funds).
    I think those artists looking at this with scrutiny and upset over the actions that were taken will find that they have more community support that they expected.

Coy
    Participant

la bauta said:
    Don’t be so hard on Brouillette- he did, after all, keep Wonderland’s expenses for “occupancy, rent, utilities and maintenance” down to a mere $57. UIn this economy, that takes real talent!

yeah… Good God, the arrogance.
    Having over a hundred Gs to work with and managing to get free workspace, so you can then use that space to fleece your organization of most of its money for self profit.

la bauta

I’m not sure “arrogance” quite covers it.
    “I don’t want to say we’re true pioneers…” No, of course not; you just want the media to say it.

billbix

I guess I am lost but how much did the executive director pay himself? Were there other people paid?

[i]professional fees and other payments to independent contractors $113,685[/i]

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,499 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.