Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wonderland Columbus - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Wonderland Columbus – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 1,499 total)
  • Author

dcarmello

Whoa this is crazy if it’s true. Does that mean their non-profit application was rejected? Sucks if they have to try for another space seeing at how much ‘brand power’ they attached to the actual Wonder Bread building (not to mention all the work BBCO put into those plans!). It’s going to be a crazy uphill battle trying to get renewed support after a setback this big so I’m hoping The Other Paper got fed some false news.

The good news is that there are plenty of other groups making some real forward movement. Idea Foundry is looking to double its size, 400 West Rich Street is doing some great things in Franklinton and the Short North Stage got their non-profit status and just signed the lease for the beautiful garden theatre in the Short North.

If it’s really true, I’m wishing the folks behind Wonderland the best of luck in the coming days…

cc

Whoa…what?

Coy
    Participant

These are not the droids you’re looking for…

cc

Coy said:
    These are not the droids you’re looking for…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjaUoR15dU%5D
    Seriously though, Adam, Andrew and Josh are stand up guys. I am sure they will account for and refund all unspent funds. The art community in Columbus is strong and there is a lot happening.

dru
    Participant

If the article is true and the concept is still alive and they are searching for an alternate and cheaper property than they may very well still meet the obligations of some of the larger grants. So I don’t think there is a rush to declare that funding null and void.

But at the April 2010 open house there was an appeal to stuff money into an envelope under the promise that your name would go on a public list of original contributors to the project. I know of a number of local neighbors who enthusiastically gave, as many were excited to see a local property transformed. I think most contributions were in the $20 – $100 range. I suppose like any investment it can go sour. However I was wondering if there is any accounting of those funds and what they either were applied to or would be applied to in the future.

MikeReed
    Participant

Dru, that does seem problematic- unless the project finds another space in the same neighborhood. If it ends up, say, 5 miles up or down the street… I see your point about community giving. There was an understand about the location I suppose. Maybe shoot the Wonderland folks a note and ask. I’m sure they’ll do the right thing- whatever that is (I don’t know anything about anything… so I have no idea what the right thing to do might be in this case).

It is probably too late for this, but maybe project Wonderland could borrow a page or two out of the lean startup playbook. Build something, see how people respond, and adjust. Repeat.

That seems to have worked for Junctionview.

They’ve got a powerhouse board, smart advisors, the best designers & architects, plans, concepts, community feedback, events at other venues, a stunning new web site, buzz, a non-profit (either existing or pending), tax credits, investment from individuals and organizations, supporters (and I guess some detractors), construction planners, (had) a building at a choice location that was purchased (granted it sounds like this relationship is ending), a supportive community in Italian Village… I could go on and on with all the things this project has.

The one thing they don’t have is a tangible offering for customers (both in the Arts and consumers) to use, feedback, and direct them how to grow. That is, a place where people can go to make, see, interact with, and buy their product. And that is the one thing they need.

There are plenty of bright local people who could advise them on applying lean to their business (if that is even doable at this point)- Dan Rockwell, Jon Myers, Dave Hunegnaw (who I believe was involved in this project, but may not be any longer), any of the Startup Weekend organizers: http://columbus.startupweekend.org/organizers/

Maybe that would be a productive direction. This is 19 months or more old (maybe 2 years from the genesis of Wonderland as a “concept”). I would call a 2 year old idea without a product stalled. This recent development adds complications to a stalled project. Not good.

All of the above is meant to be constructive feedback.

artbomb112
    Participant

Constructive feedback read and community concerns heard.

Obviously it was our desire to be in that location, in that community. The plans to move into that building became unfeasible as we talked to different property valuation people and other developers, we developed a clear sense of what the building was worth and what would be responsible for us to pay. We tried many times to find a way to work a deal that would allow us to use that facility, probably to the point of what Mike is referring to as a stall. This new direction is to get us un-stalled.

Dru, to your concerns. Every cent of donated money has been recorded. Every donor will be recognized for their contribution. We understand that the project is changing and some people had hopes of seeing us in that building. We did everything reasonable that we could to make it happen. We hope that the public will understand us being fiscally responsible with donated money and doing what is best for the project in finding a new location.

I’m already overwhelmed by the amount of community support that we have received since The Other Paper posted their article. Last night I received 54 messages of support in the Wonderland inbox. We had 20 people sign up to participate in Wunderblender. We know there would be people saying “I told you so”, but ultimately the project is going to develop. Mike’s sentiment of this being a phase two is how we are looking at it.

Our architects, construction consultants, Board, staff, major funders, and volunteers have all committed to seeing this happen. And it will. We have already identified other potential homes and as this news gets out, I’m receiving calls and emails about other potential places to move. As things progress, we will do our best to keep everyone informed.

groundrules
    Participant

I’m curious where wonderland will eventually land, and also curious what will now become of the bread factory. Condos?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wonderland Plans to Relocate from Wonder Bread Building
    By: Walker

A press release went out this morning officially announcing that Wonderland would be abandoning plans to build an artist/creative space inside the former Wonder Bread building in Italian Village and are in the process of finding a new home. The high cost of the Wonder Bread building was cited as the main reason to seek a new location.

The full press release can be read here:

Wonderland Plans to Relocate from Wonder Bread Building

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Plenty of affordable space in Columbus, I’m eager to see where they end up.

We’ve got plenty of vacant warehouse space next door to Eartha. Nudge, nudge. ; )

Go team Wonderland!

dru
    Participant

MikeReed said:
    Dru, that does seem problematic- unless the project finds another space in the same neighborhood. If it ends up, say, 5 miles up or down the street… I see your point about community giving. There was an understand about the location I suppose. Maybe shoot the Wonderland folks a note and ask. I’m sure they’ll do the right thing- whatever that is (I don’t know anything about anything… so I have no idea what the right thing to do might be in this case).

artbomb112

Dru, to your concerns. Every cent of donated money has been recorded. Every donor will be recognized for their contribution. We understand that the project is changing and some people had hopes of seeing us in that building. We did everything reasonable that we could to make it happen. We hope that the public will understand us being fiscally responsible with donated money and doing what is best for the project in finding a new location.

I obviously didn’t mean to imply that IV neighbors with pitchforks would be chasing down Wonderland staff demanding a refund of $60. But in light of the project shifting, I think it is a reasonable of the community to question what happened to that particular pool of funds (which was clearly larger than the donations from the neighborhood). A lot of future civic pride was focused on Wonderland occupying that building. Now 2-years later we’re left with an empty bread factory; the lone art being juvenile graffiti tags and a neon sign we all really want to see shine again.

cc

buckeyecpa
    Participant

The cost of the building and upkeep was an obvious problem from the first day. It was a great concept and that allowed everyone to overlook an untrainable plan. The arts are great but they don’t generate the money to run something like this. That’s where the grants came into play. It would be interesting to see how that money has been allocated so far.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Even more interesting, with a secondary market created by bank owned properties and the decline in rent demanded by landlords and the general disinterest in owning condos and/or homes, I’d like to see what the building owner has as a Plan B.

Seems to me it was a poker game and landlord lost.

Way to go, Mr. Lykens. You win?

I’m certain the process of securing a building of that scale is full of obstacles, so I don’t regard it as an indictment on Adam and Co. that they weren’t able to make it happen after all.

It seems that they were able to generate quite a lot of buzz and excitement about the project though….and I can’t help but think that for the average person who was invested in the Wonderland building becoming a reality, that the organization’s credibility will suffer greatly from this. This setback also has to be put in context of a good number of different projects on the arts and cultural scene here creating a lot of excitement, only to suffer some rather swift demise. I think of things as wide-ranging as BoMA, BLD, the Pulse nightclub, and any number of events or programming which wasn’t sustained in spite of abundant hype. Things fail in other cities, true enough– but all of these things petering out only serves to confirm cynicism in a city which already has a certain inferiority complex.

With that much said, I can’t see where it makes any sense whatsoever to continue with the “Wonderland” branding, especially since the name and logo were inextricably tied to that particular site. The insiders and most faithful supporters of the Wonderland project may believe this to show some sort of resolve and unflappability, but I think that to most people, that whole name/brand just completely deflated. It just seems like the latest ambitious thing to flop here.

It sounds like they have some great committed people on board, but I really think they would be wise to re-brand. Unless their funding or legal recognition as a non-profit is tied to them advertising themselves as “Wonderland”, I just see it as really bad PR to continue forward with the name. That name is now going to be synonymous in the public imagination with “putting the cart before the horse”. They went “all in”, and it blew up in their face….in spite of what I’m sure was their very best effort.

I don’t think to change the name would be to admit any kind of defeat; it’s simply the most pragmatic thing to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 1,499 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: