Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wonderland Columbus - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Wonderland Columbus – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,499 total)
  • Author

Talcott

Manatee wrote >>
    I “wonder” if they will keep the neon sign, make it say Wonder City, or maybe even rearrange the current letters into an amusing anagram?

I like this idea! The sign’s such a landmark of my childhood (my school bus went past it every morning), I’d be sad to see the sign go away completely.

Actually, it would be pretty neat if they removed the “Bread,” leaving a giant “Wonder” floating over the building.

Thory
    Participant

From Chris DeVille at Columbus Alive:

Rumors have been swirling for a while that a group of ambitious investors were trying to buy the vacant Wonder Bread factory in Italian Village and transform it into a creative hub. Today came the official word that it’s happening, courtesy of Adam Brouillette (Couchfire Collective), Andrew Dodson (Central City Recording), David Hunegnaw (The Sandbox Columbus), Kevin Lykens (Lykens Companies) and Josh Quinn (Tigertree). The press release explains:

The project is being called “Wonderland” and it will combine artist studios, shared office space, band rehearsal and recording facilities, venue and performance space, gallery space, and a mix of start-up and established retail all under one roof. The goal is to provide a resource for artists, musicians, and small businesses to achieve individual success, as well as to establish an icon in Columbus that highlights our outstanding local creative industries to the world.

Awesome “fun fact” about the Wonderland plans: The performance space would have bands playing inside the factory’s giant bread oven.

If they manage to pull this off, it will be a huge step forward for the Columbus creative community. They’re holding an informational meeting Friday, Jan. 29 from 6:30-9 p.m.

I think this is awesome. Things like this and North Market seem to really help neat businesses get on their feet. And all the space for art and music is fantastic.

roy
    Participant

Press Release:

Artists, Musicians and Small Businesses Team up to Take Over Former Wonder Bread Factory

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/wonder-bread-factory-reborn-as-wonderland

HeySquare
    Participant

The sign needs to stay. Exactly as is. It is an icon of Columbus.

dru
    Participant

all of this within three blocks of home…sweet. cheers to all involved and let’s get that sign lit back up.

vuch

Knew CCR was in on it through the grapevine, but didn’t want to spill the beans yesterday, just wasn’t my place. :)

Really excited for all involved – this sounds awesome!

And leave most of the sign.

artbomb112
    Participant

Some great feedback in here. I like the idea of leaving the sign as is but having just “WONDER” light up at night. Still have the history.. but the “BREAD” is a thing of the past.

Hopefully we’ll see lots of you at the meeting. Exciting stuff.

Thanks vuch and all my friends for being such excellent secret keepers! I was pretty bad about the whole don’t tell anyone thing… Too late now!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

This is literally almost too exciting.

I will come to this place and sweep floors and paint walls if needed.

Holy hallelujah. Happy day!

Thory
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    I will come to this place and sweep floors and paint walls if needed.

Same here.

Tigertree

There are a lot of walls.

I love this project so don’t hate me for saying this

but

I was also so enamored with a Buggyworks style Wonder Bread Factory Lofts

maybe that’s what Prescott Place behind of Havana will bring us – I think they are moving along a bit there with that spectacular sawtooth building

It’s great to read of all the talent behind Wonderland – many of which I personally know and am certain that this will further the Short North tremendously

When is the meeting/open house social?

MikeReed
    Participant

January 29, 2010
    6:30pm – 9pm at Junctionview Studios, 889 Williams Ave., Grandview Hts. OH 43212

Schedule
    6:30pm mingle
    7pm presentation
    8pm question and answer

Thanks Mike.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,499 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO