Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wondering what is the most economical (frugal value) area to live in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Wondering what is the most economical (frugal value) area to live in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

I was talking to some friends who own properties in several areas of Columbus and we started talking about the cheapest place to live based on housing cost, taxes and proximity to stuff (less driving the better). In the end we started thinking of it as the best frugal bang for your buck in housing. I am thinking in the 50k or less range of property values.

There are some areas it seems you can buy a 25k house, pay $1k a year in property taxes and be within several miles of downtown with a varying degree of amenities.

I was liking Highland West, West Franklinton (though a lot of housing is in bad shape), and the area of Linden just east of 71 by Hudson. Old Town East is probably still possible if you are handy.

Anyone have any thoughs or their own take on this?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

cheap

the bottoms would be the best for that

SusanB
    Participant

There’s 2 houses on my street in move in condition for under 25k. Both need a bit of work (one I’m told needs electrical, the other needs cosmetic only). PM me if you are serious.

rus
    rus
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:

Ask yourself: why is it low cost? Housing stock in bad shape? Higher crime neighborhood, to include metal related thefts such as AC units? Near a noisy or smelly presence, such as an airport, rail line, or some industrial concern?

The low initial cost may mask higher costs later on, such as needed repairs / rework, additional spending on physical security or a lack of resale opportunity.

What’s your goal, here? Long term place to live? Short term investment?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

There’s no one answer to this question. Prices are all over the place in many neighborhoods. On my block there’s a place that sold for $17K last year and another place that sold for $117K.

There are low cost, high cost and transitional neighborhoods in all directions from downtown.

As rus said, a lot of it comes down to what else you expect from your house. There’s definitely $5K houses listed out there, but are they and their neighborhoods liveable?

+1 to everything Rus said.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

+1 to everything Rus said.

groundrules
    Participant

Milo Grogan. Cheap as shit, priced appropriately. close to downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If you’re going for raw pricing…. here’s the locations where central city homes under $20k can be found currently, according to Trulia:

Looks like the main neighborhoods are:

• West Franklinton
    • Hilltop
    • Southern Orchards
    • Driving Park
    • Mount Vernon
    • Linden

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrpoppinzs said:

I would also add that the value of a home varies from individual building to individual building, which should have some impact on the overal value of what you’re paying for, or hoping to invest in. If you’re paying $20k for a 100-year-old brick home or paying $20k for a 1970s wood-frame home, I’m willing to bet that the former has a greater chance for longer term appreciation in value over the latter.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Frugal, I dont know. Economical,if you have kids, I voted with my feet for Grandview. You can get a house for 200k, which is not cheap, but you have your safety paid for, your schools paid for, can live without a car if needed, my walk score for my house is in the nineties. Your house will appreciate too so you have a return on your investment. Grandview Police and Fire are five blocks away and protect our little town like a special forces team. If you dont have kids it would be different. My kids can see their school from my house. I would venture a guess at Westgate park area, although it is slowly fading as the long timers pass away. Clintonville is similar. It is Grandveiw with worse schools and safety. I did not seriously look at anything outside of 270 when I was looking as I did not want a neighborhood with no sidewalks, no front porches and having to drive everywhere. There may be great spots out there, I dont know.

derm
    derm
    Participant

And whoops I just noticed the title it is not in Columbus proper. Maybe get a house in the 5th by NW area and have similar amenities. A cop from CBus I talked to said they barely even patrol around Grandview and the part between Grandview and Arlington as it is the safest part of town due to proximity. Get all the benefits besides schools. I think the part most people undervalue is safety of neighborhoods, but I guess if I had kids that would be way less an issue and I would live in the short north or VVillage.

Twixlen
    Participant

derm said:
    Frugal, I dont know. Economical,if you have kids, I voted with my feet for Grandview. You can get a house for 200k, which is not cheap, but you have your safety paid for, your schools paid for, can live without a car if needed, my walk score for my house is in the nineties. Your house will appreciate too so you have a return on your investment. Grandview Police and Fire are five blocks away and protect our little town like a special forces team. If you dont have kids it would be different. My kids can see their school from my house. I would venture a guess at Westgate park area, although it is slowly fading as the long timers pass away. Clintonville is similar. It is Grandveiw with worse schools and safety. I did not seriously look at anything outside of 270 when I was looking as I did not want a neighborhood with no sidewalks, no front porches and having to drive everywhere. There may be great spots out there, I dont know.

You may have missed that the OP said under $50K as well?

And Westgate is far from fading – if anything, it’s seeing a resurgence of fresh blood these days.

SusanB
    Participant

I can tell you where this house in located.

http://www.homes.com/listing/162736052/COLUMBUS_OH_43207

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: