Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Woman to Appear on $10 Bill

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Woman to Appear on $10 Bill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Woman To Share Marquee On $10 Bill With Alexander Hamilton
    JUNE 18, 2015 2:47 PM ET

Alexander Hamilton, who has had top billing on the $10 since 1929, will have to share the marquee starting in 2020, making way for a woman’s portrait — but it is not yet clear who will get the honor.

READ MORE: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/18/415452453/woman-to-share-marquee-on-10-bill-with-alexander-hamilton?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=us

OneBagTravel
    Participant

This is the hope and change I’ve been dreaming of! Salvation at last!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This is the hope and change I’ve been dreaming of! Salvation at last!

What do you hope to accomplish with ridicule? Are you saying that women shouldn’t appear on currency?

jbcmh81
    Participant

Andrew Jackson is the one who needs replaced. Horrible man.

heresthecasey
    Participant

The title of the thread seems inaccurate, since whoever’s chosen will be sharing the 10 with Hamilton, not replacing him.

I agree that Jackson should go.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The title of the thread seems inaccurate, since whoever’s chosen will be sharing the 10 with Hamilton, not replacing him.

Fixed.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

What do you hope to accomplish with ridicule? Are you saying that women shouldn’t appear on currency?

I’m joking about the headlines it’s making. As if this is supposed to be some sort of one small step for women, one giant leap for womanhood.
    http://www.wired.com/2015/06/10-dollar-bill-women/
    https://www.takepart.com/article/2015/06/18/women-on-the-10

plus plenty of other headlines. I’m essentially making a mockery of the press here. Plenty of other currencies have women on them. I’ve actually been an advocate of having not people but American accomplishments (First in flight, first on the moon etc.) on the currency or our natural wonders.

One poll is actually having Harriet Tubman winning out. Do you really think the person born into slavery and purchased with essentially the same currency would want their face on it? Weird irony.

Oh and get rid of the 1950s “In God We Trust” from the currency while we’re at it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m essentially making a mockery of the press here.

The NPR article didn’t seem to be too sensationalist to me.

If you’re making fun of the way other media outlets are treating it – ones that had not been linked to here – then perhaps you should explain that.

Otherwise, it sounds like you’re ridiculing the topic at hand.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Sorry my sarcasm came off the wrong way in my first post Walker. Let’s add women to all of the currency. In the end it’s still the same thing. I’m just goofing on how it’s big news. If people did a bit of research they’d find out that this isn’t the first time a woman was on our bills.

Martha Washington, President Washington’s wife, was the first woman to appear on U.S. currency and to this day is the only one on a banknote. She appeared on $1 silver certificates in 1886, 1891 and 1896, the latter with her husband.

Granted that was a while ago lol
    IMO Hamilton and Jackson shouldn’t have even been on the bills. Compared to Jefferson (on the lonely $2), Washington, and Lincoln, Hamilton and Hackson were chumps. :-P

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: