Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Woman Killed in Hit-Skip on Neil Avenue in Victorian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Woman Killed in Hit-Skip on Neil Avenue in Victorian Village

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Coroner Releases Name Of Woman Dragged, Killed Near Victorian Village

Sunday July 21, 2013 4:19 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – One person was killed in a hit-skip early Sunday morning near downtown Columbus. The crash happened around 1 a.m. near the 700 block of Neil Avenue. Witnesses on the scene told 10TV the victim, identified as Beth Shapiro, 32, was dragged down the street before the vehicle took off.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/07/21/columbus-hit-skip-fatal-neil.html

Hilliard Man Charged In Hit-Skip Crash That Left Woman Dead

Monday July 22, 2013 11:53 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A man is charged with failing to stop at an accident that killed a woman early Sunday. Brian Gease, 26, of Hilliard, is charged after police said he struck and killed 32-year-old Beth Shapiro.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/07/22/columbus-hillaird-man-charged-in-fatal-hit-skip-crash.html

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

RhondaH

A quick google search shows this guy was blocked from practicing Massage Therapy in Franklin County due to alcohol abuse.

http://med.ohio.gov/formala/NL3730007.pdf

I have seen so many more drunks stumbling on High St in the SN lately. I really hope they start cracking down more. I even saw a guy puking outside of Surly Girl. Whatever happened to moderation? I like to think that they are all getting cabs, but I have seen enough erratic driving to feel otherwise.

susank

This is so sad in so many ways. Alcohol abuse has destroyed two lives and it looks to have been haunting the driver for the last decade, affecting all areas of his life.

beersie1
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    A quick google search shows this guy was blocked from practicing Massage Therapy in Franklin County due to alcohol abuse.

http://med.ohio.gov/formala/NL3730007.pdf

I have seen so many more drunks stumbling on High St in the SN lately. I really hope they start cracking down more. I even saw a guy puking outside of Surly Girl. Whatever happened to moderation? I like to think that they are all getting cabs, but I have seen enough erratic driving to feel otherwise.

Had a hammered guy sideswipe my parked car last night. He was driving the wrong way on Summit St. Police saw it happen and pulled him over. He could barely stand up. Saw this headline and thought it could’ve been the same idiot. Of course he had no insurance. In the scheme of things, though, this makes me realize how bad it could’ve been. Very sad news.

mrpoppinzs

Given the location he might have been coming up from the Arena Distict/Downtown or headed to the highway from the SN. Regardless, there has been an uptick of sloppy drunks of late. I have seen some comments by people who knew Beth and it is really sad how criminally selfish one can become.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Sad for the poor girl who lost her life because of a fucking idiot’s irresponsibility. I’ve seen a few people on N High Street late at night these past few weeks that were driving quite irratically. Of course, CPD is never around at these times. I figured it was only a matter of time…

buckette13

Sad

tobyb

I have to be honest and say there have been times when I have had a little too many and probably should not have driven. This is one of those wake up calls. I really feel sorry for the woman’s friends and family.

mrmann

Several years ago I had my car sideswiped while parked on a side street in the Short North. Of course they drove off and I have no doubt alcohol was involved. This was also a hit and run. The drunks run to try to avoid getting caught but also to sober up and not get pegged for alcohol charges.

Maybe it is the bar hopping method that is often employed in the SN but I tend to see a lot of over indulgence on Thursday through Saturday nights. I don’t think anyone would be out of line for calling someone out for teetering into the driver’s seat.

bucki12

Bail is set at $500,000 hopefully they will throw the book at him. I was somewhat surprised but glad to see how the medical board took his previous alcohol issues very seriously.

AmyArt21
    Participant

Beth was a friend of mine – she was very active in the Columbus Jewish community and was in general a very sweet and caring person. No one I know had a single negative thing to say about her.
    The last time I saw her was a few weeks ago at Hal & Al’s – we were at a Jewish Trivia night and she was eating the most amazing veggie burger on a pretzel roll and I was eating all her sweet potato fries, even though I kept saying I don’t like sweet potato fries. I wish I had spent more time talking to her instead of arguing about trivia questions :)

Right now, it seems like they brought the suspect in and only charged him with leaving the scene. I hope more charges follow (although they’ll never be able to get his BAC from that night because he fled) and I hope that witness testimonial will help establish his recklessness behind the wheel that night.

If anyone would like to make a donation in Beth’s memory, contributions are suggested to Wigs for Kids, 440-333-4433 or wigsforkids.org or The Make-a-Wish Foundation, wish.org

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

So sorry about your friend, Amy.

rus
    rus
    Participant

My condolences, Amy.

DavidF
    Participant

AmyArt21 said:
    Beth was a friend of mine – she was very active in the Columbus Jewish community and was in general a very sweet and caring person. No one I know had a single negative thing to say about her.
    The last time I saw her was a few weeks ago at Hal & Al’s – we were at a Jewish Trivia night and she was eating the most amazing veggie burger on a pretzel roll and I was eating all her sweet potato fries, even though I kept saying I don’t like sweet potato fries. I wish I had spent more time talking to her instead of arguing about trivia questions :)

Right now, it seems like they brought the suspect in and only charged him with leaving the scene. I hope more charges follow (although they’ll never be able to get his BAC from that night because he fled) and I hope that witness testimonial will help establish his recklessness behind the wheel that night.

If anyone would like to make a donation in Beth’s memory, contributions are suggested to Wigs for Kids, 440-333-4433 or wigsforkids.org or The Make-a-Wish Foundation, wish.org

I’ve lost two friends in the last two weeks. Both were incredibly vibrant people who died in stupid ways. I’m sorry you lost your friend, and I wish I had some words to make it seem better. It’s heartbreaking to lose someone in such a senseless manner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION