Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wolf’s Ridge Brewing - New Downtown Brewpub

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – New Downtown Brewpub

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Wolf’s Ridge Brewing Opening Downtown Brewpub

Published on February 3, 2013 9:15 am

By: Walker

The microbrew business continues to boom in Columbus with the addition of another selection to the growing market: Wolf’s Ridge Brewing. Father and son team Alan and Bob Szuter have begun work on building out their Downtown base of operations at 215 North Fourth Street, which will be home to a restaurant and bar as well as their brewing and bottling facilities. While there’s still much work to be done, the team at Wolf’s Ridge is targeting an opening date in early May.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/wolfs-ridge-brewing-opening-downtown-brewpub

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The high ground on the east side of the Scioto was called Wolf Ridge.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Are brewpubs are the new frozen yogurt shops? From a beer fan and homebrewer, I hope this is sustainable.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter said:
    Are brewpubs are the new frozen yogurt shops? From a beer fan and homebrewer, I hope this is sustainable.

I’m not really a beer drinker, so I’m a little out of sorts, but I keep hearing from the folks I’m interviewing that we have a low number of microbreweries per capital compared to other cities. A healthy city has room for competition, so why shouldn’t we have 15-20 microbreweries for a region of nearly 2 million people? ;)

Keep in mind that we only had three (I think) just a few short years ago… Elevator, Barley’s and CBC. And that was it!

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I hope that’s a case. I honestly am not familiar with how many brewpubs most major cities have. It just seemed like so much of a sudden influx in the past year, that it almost seemed worrisome. Wishing them the best.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not worried. There is alway room for good beer. Curious about the brewer.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

If they make good beer, there will be room in the marketplace. Hopefully they make great beer and force the competition to raise their game.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’m not worried anymore :)

meltsintowonder
    Participant

In the simplest form, just look at our population in the area and then look at how many of those people drink beer. A LOT. A lot when you compare to people who ski, scuba dive, cook Asian food, etc. and the shops attached to their customer base. Then you take the beer consumer crowd and divide by the number of brewpubs. Plenty to go around.

After a few years, there will be a range in quality and styles and you’ll see consumers shift a bit and then it’s a matter if the producers on the lower end have a sustainable customer base. Portland, Oregon, is approaching 100 breweries with a smaller population than Columbus.

It’s an exciting movement and time for Columbus.

bucki12

That makes a lot of sense. My friends and I have been going to House Beer in the SN lately and we try a different beer each time. I’d like to think that our palates have grown. Why not try to keep it local?

duncanfj
    Participant

Asheville, NC has a population of less than 84k. They have 12-13 microbreweries, with more opening soon. New Belgium and Sierra Nevada are in the process of opening breweries and distribution centers outside of Asheville. Columbus can support much more than we have going right now.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

duncanfj said:
    Asheville, NC has a population of less than 84k. They have 12-13 microbreweries, with more opening soon. New Belgium and Sierra Nevada are in the process of opening breweries and distribution centers outside of Asheville. Columbus can support much more than we have going right now.

Which is my why we’re likely going to Asheville for our next getaway. Beer and so much more. Oh, and to visit my wife’s sister.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter said:
    I honestly am not familiar with how many brewpubs most major cities have. It just seemed like so much of a sudden influx in the past year, that it almost seemed worrisome.

There’s also been an influx of apartments, biking infrastructure and food trucks too. ;) Perhaps not all of these new breweries will make it, but having 20 options and a few that don’t make it sounds like a better option for beer drinkers than continuing to only have 3. ;)

0Angle said:
    Curious about the brewer.

The folks at Wolf’s Ridge informed me that they’ll be hiring a full time Brewmaster in the next month or two as they begin to get their equipment installed. I’ll post an update when I hear more on that. ;)

duncanfj
    Participant

meltsintowonder said:
    Which is my why we’re likely going to Asheville for our next getaway. Beer and so much more. Oh, and to visit my wife’s sister.

My wife and I have been spending a week or so a year there for the last four years. So much to do and see. And also beer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Walker said:
    The folks at Wolf’s Ridge informed me that they’ll be hiring a full time Brewmaster in the next month or two as they begin to get their equipment installed. I’ll post an update when I hear more on that. ;)

One of the guys that I’ve been working with for a couple years had Alan’s business card from Beerfest. I might have to be on the lookout for poachers/give him a dang raise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE