Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wind Turbine in The University District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Wind Turbine in The University District

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Mr.Compton said:
    Lots of people spoke for the wind turbine. I think the gentlemen needs to take his case in front of city council first thing next year and start talking about why Columbus isn’t proactively forming some sort of expert committee on establishing what is and isn’t acceptable in terms of green energy in residential uses.
    There was no way the BZA panel was going to set that precedent tonight.

Good news is his green house garage passed so he can at least start working on that.

You say that lots of people spoke in favor of it. Did that include his neighbors? If they did support it, I would be more willing to go along with his request. If the neighbors opposed it, then the support of others would be less compelling to me.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    You say that lots of people spoke in favor of it. Did that include his neighbors? If they did support it, I would be more willing to go along with his request. If the neighbors opposed it, then the support of others would be less compelling to me.

Yeah, the main issues, most folks (including the ones on the board) have with this are the basic aesthetics of how something like this integrates into a neighborhood. Which is not a trivial concern to neighbors. It’s a BIG honkin’ tower

I’d really like to see the city(s) (in metro c-bus) and interested parties, like perhaps MORPC and neighborhood commissions put together some kind of dialogue for moving forward with some standards for this kind of project before people just start building things and applying for a la carte variances for projects (like this guy did). The standards should be flexible to be able to incorporate improved technologies IMO. Maybe not a hard-and-fast file, but something that could act as guidance on what kinds of things would be more acceptable and more likely to be approved by zoning boards after neighbors and everyone have their input. Also should mention what kinds of things are totally out of the question (bright pink 200 ft towers used as advertising? UGH!)

These are some of the same kind of issues the amateur radio community has dealt with for many years with tower construction. I suspect (no, I KNOW) they would want a seat at these discussions too.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Thanks Mike. I like the idea of sustainable power, but I also think people should try to be good neighbors.

elduderino
    Participant

Just came across this discussion…..
    As his neighbor, I think its a great idea, I would like one myself.
    The garage is great, I have no problem with it.

Why do the trolls on this thread assume that having a 3 car garage is the same as having 3 cars? Even if you did have 3 cars, why would this be any less eco-friendly than having one? It’s not like you’re driving 3 cars at the same time.

If you have reasonable points to make about actual vs. perceived environmental benefits, lets have it but I get the sense that people hate environmental things just to hate them. Why else would you get belligerent over efficiency?

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: