Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wind Turbine in The University District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Wind Turbine in The University District

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

pedex said:
    I think the other fee part is in the tariff schedules which is the other spreadsheet file below the rate schedules.

electric is billed in two parts at least that’s my understanding, part of it is your actual consumption and the other is related to the other costs involved

dunno about aep but some like city electric also charge you a flat fee just for being connected too which adds up cause at $7 a month when you only use $20 worth of juice its a big part of the bill

yeah, ok… I’m looking at this spreadsheets… on the later sheets (“RR bundled”) which seems to lay it all out!
    (https://www.aepohio.com/global/utilities/lib/docs/ratesandtariffs/Ohio/CSP_Rate_10-28-2011.xls)

it looks like there’s a $4.52 flat fee (use of the wires I guess) and the rest is all adding up with multipliers for usage in kwh and some percentages, so the rest really is based on use, subtracting that flat fee from my payment for power used gives 11 cents/kwh including fees and taxes which are all going to go down if usage goes down. It really looks to me like the comparison figure used when comparing it to self-generation really should be about 11cents (at least for MY level of usage).

cool

thinking about this in proportion, even if it was 13 cents that’s still effin’ cheap compared to a lot of places. geez.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    This is something I’ve been wondering about for a while, actually. I’m pretty sure those numbers are for comparing with another power company, so they they’ve been allowed by PUCO to not count some of the fees which would be the same from company to company in their rate quotes. I think, based on just dividing useage and money and getting 12+cents is that comparing it to generating your own power would be a rather different fee schedule.

Anyone who works for AEP wanna clear this up?

Rockmastermike said:
    dividing dollars/kwh on my last bill says 12cents and change. The fees and stuff included. I guess some of those fees are more fixed than others and dont change much or at all based on your usage, but that’s the number I get.

The thing is, what do WE care if he breaks even or not? If he’s made the calculation and thinks that he can save money or is betting (safe bet) that electricity will not stay this cheap then that’s a bet he’s taking. People can say he’s making a bad bet but making up scare stories and calling him a hypocrite (as some have done) is pretty asinine and downright uncalled for.

Or perhaps he just doesn’t like giving money to AEP for his own reasons and doesn’t CARE what anyone else thinks. I’m with him on that one.

True, I do not care whether he breaks even or not. How he spends his money is his own business.

I see that the garage is 19.24 feet tall; that is above the 15 foot maximum. I cannot tell what the footprint of the garage will be. He got it past the neighborhood commission; it will be interesting to see what the BZA does with it. I wonder whether there will be opposition from any of his neighbors. He wants to put a greenhouse on the second floor of the garage.

We went through this process a year ago when we got a variance to build our garage in OTE. In our case, the garage was too high. We were well prepared and we had no opposition from any of our neighbors. The city was opposed to our application, but that appears to have been a formality (they will oppose height variances when the garage is the maximum 720 sq ft size). The bigger concern was a fear that we would convert the upper part of the garage into living space. We were able to convince them that we just wanted additional storage space and that the nature of the space did not lend itself to conversion.

The BZA has some info online about his application:

Board of Zoning Adjustment

The city approved the variance for the height the garage, but disapproved the variance for the wind turbine.

pedex
    Participant

ya and you get a big discount for using more electricity too, they really nail small users for the first 1000kwhrs while big commercial users get a much smaller rate

When I worked at the arena and put the ice back down after it being out for a few months tween hockey seasons I always wondered why we bothered(it is a lot of work, 24hr shifts for 3 days) till the boss showed me their utility bills….eeek. Dunno what it costs now but back in 2004 they were paying roughly $85k per month in electric just to have ice on the main floor. At residential rates it would be 3-4X that.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I wish him good luck. I hope that everyone in the area ends up being happy whatever the result.

howatzer
    Participant

Yes, everyone should have a windmill.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Yes, but only a select few of us get to have an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

howatzer
    Participant

Yes, 13 cents is the average. I must have been looking at base rates and/or old data. So 45, instead of 80 years, for pay off. I stand corrected.

Another, more complete, article suggests this turbine has nothing to do with reducing electric bills and that Mr. Murchie does indeed care about what people think of his wind phallus:

Murchie said he is environmentally conscious and wants to inspire people to follow his lead.

So, yes, I stand by the assertion of hypocrisy. I have no problem with people doing eccentric things in my neighborhood – it’s part of the reason that I moved to it – but nothing goads me more than “look-at-me” displays of pocketbook activism by the rich that do nothing to help anyone.

chaptal
    Participant

howatzer said:
    Yes, everyone should have a windmill.

…or have one to chase.

rus
    rus
    Participant

chaptal
    Participant

You got a link or lol-zy cartoon for ‘water is wet’?

howatzer
    Participant

Ha Ha. OK, I’ll shut up now.

rus
    rus
    Participant

chaptal said:
    You got a link or lol-zy cartoon for ‘water is wet’?

News
    Participant

FROM HERE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/12/20/zoning-board-oks-racing-at-cooper-stadium-site.html

Also last night, the zoning board voted 4-1 against allowing a University District man to build a 75-foot-tall wind turbine behind his King Avenue property. The turbine would have been the first of its kind in a central Columbus neighborhood.

Mr.Compton
    Mr.Compton
    Participant

Lots of people spoke for the wind turbine. I think the gentlemen needs to take his case in front of city council first thing next year and start talking about why Columbus isn’t proactively forming some sort of expert committee on establishing what is and isn’t acceptable in terms of green energy in residential uses.
    There was no way the BZA panel was going to set that precedent tonight.

Good news is his green house garage passed so he can at least start working on that.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

The turbine was used as a tool to obtain his approval for the garage.. Makes sense right?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: