Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wind Turbine in The University District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Wind Turbine in The University District

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

University District man wants to put up 75-foot-tall wind turbine behind his house

By Mark Ferenchik

The Columbus Dispatch

Thursday December 15, 2011 1:38 PM

A University District resident wants to erect a 75-foot-tall wind turbine behind his King Avenue house in what could be the first of its kind in a center city neighborhood in Columbus. David Murchie, a software developer, said he wants the turbine to generate power for his house, a garage he wants to build and a rooftop greenhouse.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/12/15/University-Area-man-wants-to-erect-huge-turbine-tower.html

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I love green energy and wind power in general, but I’m honestly not sure how I would feel about a turbine in my neighbors yard. Hopefully this installation will go forward and provide some real world experience as to how they work out. My main concern would be ice fall in the winter. Another issue is noise, but I’ve found most monopole designs are really whisper quiet. The lattice structure turbine at Glacier Ridge Metro Park has a very weird resonance that I would find quite annoying if I had to live next to it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Have to make sure the brakes work…

howatzer
    Participant

Yeah, it’s super green to build a wind turbine next to your new 3-car garage.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

howatzer said:
    Yeah, it’s super green to build a wind turbine next to your new 3-car garage.

Maybe it’s ok if he owns three hybrids? ;)

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Wow, nice garage!

pedex
    Participant

auditor’s picture of house

howatzer
    Participant

Walker said:
    Maybe it’s ok if he owns three hybrids? ;)

Or he’s using his wind turbine to recharge his 3 chevy volts? This would kind of make sense, as it would take a long time to charge them from a turbine: thus he can drive one while the other two are charging. Brilliant!

pedex
    Participant

howatzer said:
    Or he’s using his wind turbine to recharge his 3 chevy volts? This would kind of make sense, as it would take a long time to charge them from a turbine: thus he can drive one while the other two are charging. Brilliant!

economically he’d have to live more than a lifetime to cover the cost and break even probably

howatzer
    Participant

pedex said:
    economically he’d have to live more than a lifetime to cover the cost and break even probably

Yes, but what more noble way to blow all that money but on a 75-foot long, green energy phallic symbol in your backyard for all your neighbors to envy.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Have to make sure the brakes work…

I’m sure that if the guy wanted to just build a new garage you’d post a video of a garage burning down as a warning, right?

cbus11

He could probably slip it by code enforcement if he used a bit of camouflage.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    I’m sure that if the guy wanted to just build a new garage you’d post a video of a garage burning down as a warning, right?

For someone who advocates for government to dictate what private property owners can do with their property ( see: urban planning, forced density, etc. ) I’m surprised you’re not advocating for government to regulate private property with regard to windmills.

A better example, rather than a simple garage, would be a tank of LNG or propane to feed a generator. Then you’d cite the stored fuel as an explosive risk, concerns for public safety, etc.

Guess this guy gets a pass because it’s “green”.

pedex
    Participant

howatzer said:
    Yes, but what more noble way to blow all that money but on a 75-foot long, green energy phallic symbol in your backyard for all your neighbors to envy.

not the windmill

the windmill plus 3 chevy volts

the windmill will likely pay for itself, chevy volts not likely

being off the grid or even threatening to when in a city is something our system simply isn’t set up for and most municipalities generally will fight it tooth and nail

without enough debt slaves locked into the system it runs out of money

many towns and cities actually by law require energy consumption whether you like it or not, dunno if Columbus does but many require refrigeration or you can get nailed for a health/safety code violation

as energy rises in price in real terms we will see this become more frequent especially as many get priced right out of the game

Rockmastermike
    Participant

howatzer said:

a tower that size can easily support one of Bergey Energy’s 10 kW turbines. The power pack on a Chevy Volt is 16kWh. Use google. Do the math. Charging times of 3-4 hours assuming a 10kw turbine even when the turbine is nowhere near peak and assuming charge efficiency losses. Use a 5kw turbine and perhaps double the times and you get a comfortable overnight charge.

It’s fine with me if you wish to be “against” any kind of wind power on whatever ideological basis you care to invent, but there’s no reason not to just do some simple math and appear sorely misinformed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: