Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Will the Short North's indie spirit get pushed aside by big development?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Will the Short North's indie spirit get pushed aside by big development?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Balancing Act

Will the Short North’s indie spirit get pushed aside by big development?

Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:21 pm

by Melissa Dilley

Last Saturday’s Gallery Hop drew thousands, even though it competed against a rare night-time Buckeyes football game—which set a new Ohio Stadium attendance record no less. Parking (as usual) wasn’t easy to come by, upscale restaurants had long waits and there was just as much to see on the street with jugglers, painters and food carts begging for attention from browsers before they ducked into one of the shops that kept their lights on long after the usual closing time.

But it’s exactly the allure of the district that may prove to be its undoing, as a powerful area developer has his sights set on the few remaining open spaces left in the Short North.

In just a few years, the stretch of High Street that makes the Short North will be home to 55,000 square feet of new office space, a parking garage, and a boutique hotel, all courtesy of Ron Pizzuti. His $59 million investment, however, could have an economic impact on the mom-and-pop shops that have given the neighborhood its panache—and not necessarily in a good way.

READ MORE: http://www.theotherpaper.com/news/article_3704ed3a-13c8-11e2-9bd4-0019bb2963f4.html

News
    Participant

More info on the Short North’s construction/development:

The Short North’s Summer of Construction

More info on The Joseph:

Short North Boutique Hotel to Begin Construction This Summer

More with Maria Galloway of PM Gallery:

PM Gallery Planning Relocation After 32 Years in The Short North

melikecheese
    Participant

I think the answer to this is yes and no.

We are already seeing “indie” places pushed out in hopes of higher rent (lil brothers anyone?)

What used to be a large concentration of “gay bars” is no longer as those are now opening on the south side.

And with higher rents you have a much larger barrier to entry for smaller independent places that may not have the funding to enter the area any longer.

I do believe that no matter what development takes place the arts and unique things will always be present in the area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This TOP article raises the same question that has been asked over and over and over. And doesn’t really do much in the way of providing any answers.

The Joseph development is replacing two parking lots with infill. No retailers or residents or artists are being displaced. No one is being kicked out. Could new retail with higher rents cause existing retail spaces to have upticks in rent pricing? Maybe. But the direct impact is zero.

Further, does the Short North stand to benefit from having hotel dwellers saying in the neighborhood, new office workers, a new parking garage and a world-class art museum facility facing Goodale Park? Most certainly.

That’s a whole lot of *good* that far outweighs the possibility of some *bad* that may or may not happen, IMHO.

surber17
    Participant

the good def. outways the bad and I don’t really see much bad at all. With the growth of short north it opens new places, like Franklinton, to take over as the next independent arts district and i see no downside to that.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I feel like I’m living in a different Short North than @melikecheese. Little Brother’s was like five years ago, yes it was an awesome venue, yes I still feel sad when I walk by, but really, its time to get over it.

There’s still Axis, Union, Level and Bernard’s so I don’t feel that the GLBT community is being pushed out. And there is still plenty of empty store fronts in the North near Rivet (who consistently draws a crowd) and What the Rock.

Also, is our fair city really just one main street? If the Short North becomes over saturated that’s a good thing, it means that small business owners and tenants can start building up elsewhere in the city. There have been a lot of updates to Main Street in Old Town and yet most of the storefronts there sit empty, lets spread the wealth.

Anti

Ha, Surber17, I’ve been meaning to register on the site for some time now and I finally did in order to make the exact comment that you brought up.

It gets a little frustrating when people clamor for denser development, brand new mixed-used buildings, no surface lots, but then whine and cry about how the neighborhood is changing and rents are going up. It just seems that many people who want the more conventional “city” feel, don’t really understand that high rents, powerful developers, and changing demographics are also part of living in a city.

I hope that the development continues (with success!) in the Short North. I’m no urban planner like many of the folks on this board, but it seems to me that artists and smaller companies getting pushed out of the neighborhood is part of a natural progression, and it means that we are truly growing. Like Surber17 mentions, hopefully it is an opportunity for neighborhoods like downtown, OTE, and Franklinton.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrsgeedeck said:
    There’s still Axis, Union, Level and Bernard’s so I don’t feel that the GLBT community is being pushed out. And there is still plenty of empty store fronts in the North near Rivet (who consistently draws a crowd) and What the Rock.

I’d also add that just about every single bar/restaurant in the Short North is as GLBT friendly as they come. Between MoJoe, Betty’s, Surly Girl, Rigsby’s, Hubbard Grill, House Beer, Basil, etc, there’s no shortage of places that welcome everyone to come enjoy themselves and be who they are.

The north end of the district is adding new tenants regularly though, so I don’t know if I’d call empty store fronts plentiful anymore. FRINGE just relaunched, there’s the Garden Theater & Green Room, the new DamesBond Marketplace, the new pm Gallery, etc.

mrsgeedeck said:
    Also, is our fair city really just one main street? If the Short North becomes over saturated that’s a good thing, it means that small business owners and tenants can start building up elsewhere in the city. There have been a lot of updates to Main Street in Old Town and yet most of the storefronts there sit empty, lets spread the wealth.

A big +1 to that. There’s no shortage of opportunities in other neighborhoods.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anti said:
    Ha, Surber17, I’ve been meaning to register on the site for some time now and I finally did in order to make the exact comment that you brought up.

Welcome aboard! ;)

Anti

Thanks! I’ve been a lurker here for quite a while now… when I say “meaning to register for some time now”, I mean like for 5 years hahaha! The city news and dialogue that this site and its community provide are indispensable.

GCrites80s
    Participant

You’re always going to have a few empty store fronts. There’s too many different personal stories unfolding at once among the owner population.

wpcc88
    Participant

I will second even third the notion that this is not a bad thing. Short North will always have that Indie spirit to it with ComFest but it is becoming more and more upscale. This leaves places like Franklinton and OTE to take over the reigns of sorts, which honestly I could not be more happy about. I love the growth that I’ve seen in my adoptive hometown since I moved here in 2006 and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: