Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jim Tressel - NCAA Violations / Suspension / Resignation

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports Jim Tressel – NCAA Violations / Suspension / Resignation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 324 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

JackieC wrote >>
    So he knew about it, but because the entire situation was under Federal Investigation he wasn’t supposed to tell anyone, yet he is still getting fined?
    If this is the case people will only read that he was suspended for two games and fined 250K and assume he was in the wrong without reading the entire story, while only reading the headline.

I missed the first 10 minutes and I’m trying to find what exactly he said he was told. From what I got, sounded like he was sent an email that made note that OSU may have issues as a result of a Federal case. Didn’t seem like the individual players or the exact violations came out until much later.

Schoolboy
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

JackieC wrote >>
    So he knew about it, but because the entire situation was under Federal Investigation he wasn’t supposed to tell anyone, yet he is still getting fined?
    If this is the case people will only read that he was suspended for two games and fined 250K and assume he was in the wrong without reading the entire story, while only reading the headline.

I missed the first 10 minutes and I’m trying to find what exactly he said he was told. From what I got, sounded like he was sent an email that made note that OSU may have issues as a result of a Federal case. Didn’t seem like the individual players or the exact violations came out until much later.

from what i understand is that this is just a contract violation. what i’m still confused on, is that the email was tipping him off on an already ongoing investigation… or was the email tipping him off on ongoing violations before the investigation began. which from the way he described, as well as reports right now that i’m reading is that the investigation was already underway when the email was sent. he was tipped off on it, but didn’t let the right people at osu know about it. i’m not sure that the ncaa has anything to punish him on. had he interfered in the investigation or known of mischief before the investigation started, then i would think that the ncaa would hand down very severe penalties.

still, any project manager, coach, boss, team leader, etc… is responsible for those under them. i don’t care if tressel knew about it or not. he needs to have better control of his players, and should have already been given this punishment from the get-go.

Cookie

I didn’t see the press conference, but I hope that at some point Coach Tressel said that he was shocked, [i]shocked[/i] to find that there were NCAA violations going on here.

rohartman
    Participant

Antonio I beat you to it! :-)

[url=http://www.610wtvn.com/pages/template/tressels_emails_march2011.pdf]Tressels email[/url]

rohartman
    Participant

my son is a third year student at USC and this is nothing like what was going on there! If Pete would have stuck around he would’ve been Fired for sure!

honavery

I didn’t really understand what was going on exactly just from listening to Tressel talk last night. He made it sound like one of the players was part of an ongoing Federal investigation and that the email was from the FBI.

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/03/08/ohio.state.jim.tressel.sanctions/index.html?eref=writers]This article[/url] helped me understand it a bit better. Specifically these 2 paragraphs.

[quote]According to Ohio State’s letter to the NCAA self-reporting Tressel’s violation, an attorney twice e-mailed the coach last April warning him that two of his players had sold memorabilia to the owner of a local tattoo parlor involved in a criminal investigation. He told the e-mailer he’d look into it (or more specifically, “I will keep pounding these kids hoping they grow up …”), and in fact began a correspondence in which the attorney shared more information.

And then, Tressel did … nothing. Well, at least nothing that would have put his players’ eligibility at risk. Concerned more at the possibility his players might be mixed up in a federal drug investigation, he admitted, “I probably didn’t give quite as much thought to the NCAA end of things as I read [the initial e-mail].”[/quote]

lazyfish
    Participant

the e-mails are pretty damning. You would think that Tressel checked with the compliance officer on this. Loved Gee’s comments about not firing him, glad he recognize who butters his toast. So can we now quit the holier than thou crap about Tresel and Gee, they are both self-interested players, short and simple.

But OSU President E. Gordon Gee said there never was a thought of dismissing him for not revealing e-mails last spring that possibly could have led to 2010 suspensions for some of his players, even though Tressel’s contract gave the university that right.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/03/09/tressel-i-let-some-people-down.html?sid=101

“Are you kidding?” Gee said when asked whether he considered dismissal. “I’m just hopeful the coach doesn’t dismiss me. His integrity and the body of his work is quite remarkable.”

sixby9is42

Slap on the wrist. At the very least, I think Tressel should’ve been suspended for the first five games like Pryor, Herron, Posey, Adams and Thomas. Instead, he’s out for the Akron and Toledo games.

Antonio

This matter isn’t over until the NCAA says it’s over.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>
    Slap on the wrist. At the very least, I think Tressel should’ve been suspended for the first five games like Pryor, Herron, Posey, Adams and Thomas. Instead, he’s out for the Akron and Toledo games.

Those are OSU’s self-imposed sanctions. The NCAA hasn’t had their say yet.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

The NCAA is going to drop the hammer. Things could get really, really bad.

More suspended games, vacated wins, a bowl game suspension next year, recruiting sanctions aren’t out of the realm of possibility.

Tress really f’ed up this time.

Snarf
    Participant

Isn’t the consensus “as long as we beat MI who cares?”

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Beating Michigan has been a given and an afterthought for many years now. They’re not even competitive.

JonMyers
    Participant

Yes, Tressel violated some rules. However, it seems like the real elephant in the room is that some players sold some memorabilia to a tattoo shop, while the NCAA and schools rake in millions off their backs and the players share in ZERO of that upside.

Snarf
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Yes, Tressel violated some rules. However, it seems like the real elephant in the room is that some players sold some memorabilia to a tattoo shop, while the NCAA and schools rake in millions off their backs and they share in ZERO of that upside.

But without the NCAA could many of these players make the millions they do in the NFL?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 324 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.