Our City Online

Messageboard - Video Games

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wii U

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    Finally, a controller that doubles as a plate for me to eat cheese cubes off while I play!

Seriously, how are you not a comic? I’ve been reading your stuff for years and have laughed at like 99% of your posts.

ZHC

Didn’t they try this once with the gamecube already (GBA as a controller thing)?

I see some neat multiplayer possibilities with this, but in general I don’t think people want to have to look at two screens at once.

but given Nintendo’s lack of success with third party co-operation ,I’d be very concerned that this ends up being yet another platform that doesn’t get software that could utilize its’ full capabilities.

Seems like a major mis-step in the making. Hope I’m wrong.

shirtandpants
    Participant

so basically, it’s a giant DS?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ZHC wrote >>
    Seems like a major mis-step in the making. Hope I’m wrong.

What are you talking about? Nintendo can do no wrong! ;)

paktinat

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Thoughts about the E3 press conference?

Personally I was extremely underwhelmed by the launch software Nintendo was announcing, in terms of volume and third-party support. Plus, there’s the graphics issue. The games looked “fine,” but they don’t hold a candle to the almost-certainly PS4/Xbox3 launch title Star Wars 1313. Nintendo also didn’t do a great job of explaining why they thought the new controller would improve the game-playing experience.

I’m really kind of concerned that the Wii U will be Nintendo’s Dreamcast.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

That E3 show for Nintendo was pretty weak to say the least. They started out strong with Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Brothers U, and then after that it was basically tech demos and ho-hum nonsense followed by Nintendoland which is basically an arcade full of half-baked tech demos.

Other notes:

Making a big deal out of year old titles like Arkham City with shoehorned-in controls for the touch screen don’t interest me at all.

ZombieU was one of the only titles that looked unique & promising.

To end the show with a fireworks display in Nintendoland was groan inducing.

I really wanted to like the Wii U but it still looks like Nintendo is lost and behind the times.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Yeah, ZombieU looked neat (Ubisoft really owned E3 this year), but now there’s an (unconfirmed) rumor that it it’s only going to be a system exclusive for six months. I don’t think there are any xbox/ps3 owners willing to drop $250+ rather than simply waiting six months for the game to come out on the console they already own.

The idea of having the WiiU controller de-tether from the system for away-from-TV gameplay (cough cough Dreamcast) is an interesting idea, but only in an alternate timeline where the ipad was outlawed.

DJ DocMedPot
    DJ DocMedPot
    Participant

Nintendos attachment to providing only family and pre-teen games is killing them in the overall gaming market. As a old skool gamer I have been through my share of consoles. The last Nintendo console I own was the Game Cube and that seemed to pretty much kill it for me. While the Wii was innovative with it’s controllers, it still never came off to me to be for hardcore gamers.

I agree with Jim and found the E3 coverage of the WiiU to be a pretty weak offering over the existing consoles on the market.

Keep on Gaming peeps!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

TANK TANK TANK!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JimL2 said:
    I’m really kind of concerned that the Wii U will be Nintendo’s Dreamcast.

Awesome! I look forward to buying one new for $50 after it’s discontinued, just like I did with the Dreamcast. Which is an awesome console despite it’s failure to gain mass appeal.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

DocMedPot said:
    Nintendos attachment to providing only family and pre-teen games is killing them in the overall gaming market.

Xbox360 = 67.2 million units sold worldwide
    PS3 = 63.9 million units sold worldwide
    Wii = 95.85 million units sold worldwide

I agree with you that Nintendo’s focusing on family-friendly entertainment has been a turnoff to hardcore gamers.

But at the same time, their wider appeal to a much large casual gaming audience has done quite well for Wii sales. The fact that Microsoft and Sony have released similar types of motion based controls and more casual-audience titles afterward is a pretty strong indicator that they feel that Nintendo did something right with the Wii. Hardcore gamers are an important niche for console sales, but they’re not the only demographic anymore.

That being said, I’m highly skeptical that the WiiU will be able repeat the Wii’s success.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Walker said:
    Xbox360 = 67.2 million units sold worldwide
    PS3 = 63.9 million units sold worldwide
    Wii = 95.85 million units sold worldwide

I wonder how much of those numbers has to do with price. The Wii was way cheaper than the other two when released.

(side note, that PS3 Wonderbook™ thing looks totally stupid to me)

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Take into consideration the fact that Nintendo is massively popular in Japan, as well as Sony to a degree and the Xbox isn’t. But in the states the Xbox dominates game sales.

GCrites80s
    Participant

The PS3 got a really slow start in the States, whereas 360 has done very well here since Day 1 but sells practically nothing outside the U.S.

Each console generation brings different winners and losers. Both GameCube and Xbox got their faces rocked off by PS2 sales — and that’s even after Xbox was picking up a lot of momentum in 2004-2005 just in time for the 360 to hit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)

The forum ‘Video Games’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!