Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Why Urbanism Is Considered to be ‘Liberal’

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Why Urbanism Is Considered to be ‘Liberal’

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I retire. I’ve been waiting for that set up since I saw the city part of town episode.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This thread could really be an episode of South Park.

After 19 years, they’ve covered just about every topic imaginable, so that could apply to every conversation known to man.

Of course, The Simpsons already did it all before them as well. ;)

mbeaumont
    Participant

With all due respect, comments inferring the closed mindedness of non urban dwellers could be viewed as similarly divisive and hyperbolic, if not condescending.

I don’t think I did that, though I could see how you could take my comment that way if you were predisposed to disagree with my initial position. I was simply saying that I believe being around lots of different kinds of people from lots of different cultures and backgrounds tends to open people’s minds more than mainly being around people that are just like you.

If you feel that was me saying that anyone outside of urban areas is close-minded, that really wasn’t my intention. If I have to fill every single sentence with caveats and asides it’s going to take awhile to have a genuine conversation.

In the US, we generally think of wealthier, more conservative people living in outlying, low density areas. But in most of the world, the opposite is true; only the rich can afford urban living.

jbcmh81
    Participant

In the US, we generally think of wealthier, more conservative people living in outlying, low density areas. But in most of the world, the opposite is true; only the rich can afford urban living.

Are the rich in other countries the political equivalent of those in the US?

ImNotaStar
    Participant

I would submit that density promotes liberalism as well. When people are constantly exposed to new ideas, different ways of life, different ethnicities, different socio-economic backgrounds, different music, different art, food, etc, etc, etc, it tends to make people more open-minded since that type of exposure tends to breed more understanding and empathy.

This is such a nieve statement that only someone who did not grow up in an urban environment could make it. While this may hold true in the 10 block radius you are familiar with this is not the case overall.

How do you explain the “no blacks after 11pm” policy enforced on certain streets in the bottoms by white people that grew up in that neighborhood? How do you account for the whiteboys in my Southside hood who are out right racist? How do you account for the blacks on the east side and linden who don’t allow whiteboys on their blocks? How do you account for the Dominicans in NYC who hate African Americans? What about the Jamaicans there? What about the racist Italians on Staten island?

The fact is, the more diverse, the more racist. If you look at nyc, not the new hipster white nyc, but look at the traditional ethnic hoods, they are racist as shit. This is because there are so many people of different backgrounds you can find and fit in with your own group. You do not need to jump into the melting pot. Dominicans can live in a Dominican hood, itialians in an Italian hood, chinese in the chinese hood and so on. This is changing as nyc is becoming more populated by these new hipsters who grew up in bumfuck ohio and want to live in their fantsy urban environment, much as yourself. While you may believe it is a product of an urban environment it is just you projecting your values on others.

My experience is that Georgia had always been less racist than nyc. You are forced to live amongst other groups in atlanta, or even the burbs of Atlanta. In NYC you can be chinese and rarely interact with a Dominican.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

Also, I and my SO, are both conservatives who have never voted D. The same holds true for my father; the fact is for our lifestyle living in the city makes more sens3. Not to mention the fact that most burns besides the inne4 ring ones, are ovverflowing with vinyl sides homes in subdivions.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

If only spelling were a conservative value.

Nancy H
    Participant

This is such a nieve statement that only someone who did not grow up in an urban environment could make it.

I grew up in “the country” and recognize the smell of bull shit when I stumble upon it. Your comments reek.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

What if you don’t give a shit about what people think about where you live? Is that conservative or liberal?

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

If you actually look at where many of really rich people live, it is still in urban-ish, “liberal” areas. They’re just a small % of the population. David Koch lives in New York City, for example, and we all remember Mitt Romney was building a house in LaJolla California, Zuckerberg lives in San Francisco, And everyone knows Long Island is is full of zillionaires.

mbeaumont
    Participant

There really is no point trying to have a rational conversation on a message board is there? Never mind.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There really is no point trying to have a rational conversation on a message board is there? Never mind.

It’s no different from Facebook, Twitter or other conversation platforms.

It all depends upon who you choose to respond to and have conversations with. ;)

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

This is the most excitement I’ve seen around here in months.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ImNotaStar wrote:</div>
    This is such a nieve statement that only someone who did not grow up in an urban environment could make it.

I grew up in “the country” and recognize the smell of bull shit when I stumble upon it. Your comments reek.

Of course you did, almost all urbanites in columbus did. If you grew up in columbus and wanted an ” urban experience” you leave and go to nyc. Only those from the country consider columbus a great urban experience. Those from the city looking for that leave for larger cities as columbus is boring to them.

This is also the reason you think what I say is a lie. You also probably think there aren’t whiteboys with ak47 in the bottoms selling crack calling each the “n” word. I mean whiteboys don’t shoot each other and sell drugs that never happens on the south side either. These whiteboys are Also super educated so you know they are progressive liberals, lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: