Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Why Urbanism Is Considered to be ‘Liberal’

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Why Urbanism Is Considered to be ‘Liberal’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Why Urbanism Is Considered to be ‘Liberal’
    BY KINDER INSTITUTE · NOVEMBER 16, 2015

Smart growth has positioned itself as a centrist solution to population growth: it pleases the left by providing social equity and environmental sustainability and the right with the promise of increased development potential for private developers.

Yet studies have repeatedly shown the type of compact, urban development characteristic of smart growth is favored primarily by liberals, not conservatives.

READ MORE: http://urbanedge.blogs.rice.edu/2015/11/16/why-urbanism-is-considered-to-be-liberal/#.VktRl4QQY23

Eugene_C
    Participant

I think because mostly liberals like to live in urban areas, now. Conservatives prefer to live out in lower-tax areas, like townships.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think because mostly liberals like to live in urban areas, now. Conservatives prefer to live out in lower-tax areas, like townships.

Which has always seemed backwards to me.

Urban density is driven by principles to be conservative and efficient with space, resources, public infrastructure and tax dollars.

Suburban and exurban sprawl is designed by principles that are more liberal and inefficient with space, resources, public infrastructure and tax dollars.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Yes, population density strongly and reliably correlates with political leanings:

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2013/09/if-you-live-near-other-people-youre-probably-democrat-if-your-neighbors-are-distant-republican/7047/

Urban density is driven by principles to be conservative and efficient with space, resources, public infrastructure and tax dollars.

You would think there would be a relationship between conservative, and conservationist, but in practice –not so much.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I would submit that density promotes liberalism as well. When people are constantly exposed to new ideas, different ways of life, different ethnicities, different socio-economic backgrounds, different music, different art, food, etc, etc, etc, it tends to make people more open-minded since that type of exposure tends to breed more understanding and empathy.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I would submit that density promotes liberalism as well. When people are constantly exposed to new ideas, different ways of life, different ethnicities, different socio-economic backgrounds, different music, different art, food, etc, etc, etc, it tends to make people more open-minded since that type of exposure tends to breed more understanding and empathy.

THIS! Plus, when you live in a dense area, you tend to want more action from the government, not less. In an urban area you see the positive benefits of the government and tend to encourage not fear or distrust it.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

I would submit liberalism promotes density….but here’s the kicker… What if, via development, the density ends up looking and acting the same?

mbeaumont
    Participant

Density means lots of different people living within close proximity. So it won’t ‘look and act’ the same because people are all different. If you’re inferring that development leads to homogeny of socio-economic backgrounds, even that is disrupted by the people that might work and visit the neighborhood but not live there. Either way, density brings diversity by its very nature. Sure, a dense Columbus may not be as diverse as NYC, but it’ll be much more diverse than a rural township.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Mike88
    Participant

This is an interesting topic. And anecdotally everyone I know who Identifies as an R lives in a suburb or rural setting. While almost all Independents or Dems I know live in Urban areas. And those who don’t want to, but can’t because of circumstances beyond their own control.

Of course this could just be people seeking to live in a place that reflects their own values. I was raised in a very Republican suburb and moved to the Short North as soon as I could after College.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

So what came first liberal control of urban centers or failing schools and desperate inequality.

It’s funny that both rural dwellers and urban dwellers both have no clue about each other (and no desire to have one) and present it through bigotry.

mbeaumont
    Participant

So what came first liberal control of urban centers or failing schools and desperate inequality.
    It’s funny that both rural dwellers and urban dwellers both have no clue about each other (and no desire to have one) and present it through bigotry.

Wow, way to take an interesting discussion and make it completely divisive and hyperbolic.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>
    So what came first liberal control of urban centers or failing schools and desperate inequality.<br>

Wow, way to take an interesting discussion and make it completely divisive and hyperbolic.

With all due respect, comments inferring the closed mindedness of non urban dwellers could be viewed as similarly divisive and hyperbolic, if not condescending.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

This thread could really be an episode of South Park.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

This thread could really be an episode of South Park.

“No Kenny I can’t afford a 9 dollar milkshake”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: