Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Why are Columbus Highways & Offramps so Dirty?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Why are Columbus Highways & Offramps so Dirty?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Smifth27 said:
    Maybe this is a concern that can be brough to the Mayor’s attention and the ODOT manager for this area. On your way home tonight, look at the amount of garbage and trash along the highway. It seems that they have not cleaned along the medians since early speing. Every other city that I have been to lately appeared to be cleaner.

You an adopt an area, get a group of people together and start cleaning it up yourself if so inclined:

http://publicservice.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=31200

These community efforts are largely what helps to keep trash off the roads. I don’t think that the city or ODOT employ enough people to clean up all liter from all areas 24/7.

2thDoc
    Participant

I agree the amount of litter is an eyesore. I have always wondered why the landscaping around Columbus freeways and ramps isn’t kept in check. Mowing and weed whacking can go along way as far as looks. I know city/county budgets are tight, but the 3 foot tall weeds growing out of the crumbling median dividers on 71 need attention. I wonder if the ramps and freeways were landscaped more regularly that it would create a “this is not my trash can” mentality? I agree that Kick Butt Columbus and adopt a highway programs help, but the overall idea of just shucking trash out the window befuddles me.

cheap

jpizzow said:
    Traveling through the Carolinas for years at different times, I’ve always noticed that their highways are immaculate with well tended landscaping. There will always be garbage on the highway but I’d like to know what they do to keep it so clean. Most people assume that most of that garbage collects along highways because people throw it out of their cars when in fact most of that garbage comes from a combination of gargabe trucks, open bed trucks and wind storms. Put the prisoners and juvies back to work I suppose.

inmates work for the DOT in NC.

Ohio corrections is way behind on this.

Smifth27
    Participant

I do not think this is an Ohio problem. Cincinnati and Dayton do not have the same liter problems along their highways. Hell, last time I visited Cleveland, thier highways seemed cleaner than ours. I undersatnd that ODOT cannot prevent every piece of trash from hugging medians and off ramps around this area, but it does seem like someone is not doing thier job in this area, or we have a problem with throwing away our trash.

Graybeak
    Participant

Columbus is a dirty, dirty city.
    Naughty city.
    It needs to be spanked.

FoodFort
    Participant

How aboout a CU pick up at one or two exit ramps in September?

And yes – there is a ton of litter out there…..I am sometimes amazed at what I see on the roads. There is no need to buy a 5 gallon bucket or worry about aluminimum cans – they are everywhere.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I see people flicking cigarette butts and other crap out their windows on the streets and highways around Columbus fairly often. I can’t say I’ve seen this at anywhere near the same frequency in other cities.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I’ve always supported “highway beautification” and have people cut all dead trees, mow all grass, and create nice flower beds in and around downtown. As most people drive to Columbus and that would be a warm welcoming sign.

tdziemia
    Participant

I mean, you’re kidding, right?? Haha (or LOL is that what I’m supposed to say?)

So Columbus is DIRTIER THAN AN EAST COAST CITY?

Earth to poster: drive the Cross-Bronx; drive the Turnpike; the Schulylkill.

Ya gotta be kiddin me …

DavidF
    Participant

FoodFort said:
    How aboout a CU pick up at one or two exit ramps in September?

And yes – there is a ton of litter out there…..I am sometimes amazed at what I see on the roads. There is no need to buy a 5 gallon bucket or worry about aluminimum cans – they are everywhere.

I would be up for a meet up to clean up.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I think this mainly has to do with construction. The grass on I-270 on the Southwest side hasn’t been mowed since about 2 weeks BEFORE the construction starts… its starting to get pretty high…

Taz Devil
    Participant

Actually, I think it is because some people are disgusting pigs that throw their trash right out of their car windows. Seen it many a time. Sick.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Maybe it has to do with availability of trashcans on city streets in conjunction with flatbed trucks/garbage trucks, laziness, lack of volunteers/assistance from prisoners.

Maybe it’s a regional mentality thing?

Maybe it has something to do with lack of enforcement (have you ever heard of anyone being fined for littering?) It seems like it would be a very difficult thing to enforce.

Very interesting, though… I would suggest making sure that you use a garbage bag for the trash that you throw away in the garbage, and I wonder how much of the recycling is falling out because of a lack of garbage bag usage…

Interesting topic.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

When we performed a litter cleanup along a bike path a few years ago, we found all sorts of weird crap. The bike path was along a busy street, and my assumption (as I’m sure most people’s would be) was that everything was tossed out of cars as they drove by. When I found things like empty Ramen Noodle packages, I was quite puzzled.

After talking to Bob Seed at Columbus Rec & Parks, he said that a lot of the trash in some areas actually comes from dumpsters at apartment complexes that either don’t have lids or the lids remain open, and strong winds will blow the trash out all over the place. He said that there wasn’t much on the books in the way of enforcing the prevention of that, which is a shame.

Graybeak
    Participant

Walker said:
    After talking to Bob Seed at Columbus Rec & Parks, he said that a lot of the trash in some areas actually comes from dumpsters at apartment complexes that either don’t have lids or the lids remain open, and strong winds will blow the trash out all over the place. He said that there wasn’t much on the books in the way of enforcing the prevention of that, which is a shame.

On that same note, we get much of our trash along our streets and in our alley due to people overfilling the Big-A 300 gallon dumpsters and from the trash pickers opening up bags to search for cans (I guess) and spreading it all around.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION