Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Why are Columbus Highways & Offramps so Dirty?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Why are Columbus Highways & Offramps so Dirty?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Smifth27
    Participant

I have traveled to four cities in the past week: Dayton, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Washington D.C. I noticed that these cities have significantly less amounts of liter along their interstate highways and off ramps. I was wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions on why this is so. I love Columbus, but why is Columbus so Dirty.

Timeone

There is a lot of construction going on and the high wind storms aren’t helping either. Though I haven’t really noticed it being dirty.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve been driving the highway a bunch lately and there is quite a bit of trash at the interstate ramps, 5th Ave and North Broadway. Lots of trash at Joyce and St. Clair too.

But in my opinion, downtown is super clean and looks great.

I’ve been considering investing in a litter grabber and doing some picking up. ;)

Twixlen
    Participant

I know Dayton does a very serious Earth Day clean up – I’ve not seen that level of clean-up take place here. We do parks and more neighborhood level clean ups for those volunteer clean-up days, it seems.

I think the construction plays a big factor.

Didn’t prisoners used to clean up the highways? Am I crazy? I’m certain this happens – at least in the south.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

There’s an annual cleanup, so the ramps are in fact clean for about one week.

When I worked litter control at OSU, I called it being a windshield wiper, as in you can make a pass and it’s clean, but you know that more will be coming in. So it’s only a question of how much you’ll allow before you make another pass.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Around the Miller Kelton corridor I think you get taught from birth to throw your trash in the street. I see it happen literally every day.

geoyui
    Participant

I think one of the annual events is Kick Butt Columbus.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Traveling through the Carolinas for years at different times, I’ve always noticed that their highways are immaculate with well tended landscaping. There will always be garbage on the highway but I’d like to know what they do to keep it so clean. Most people assume that most of that garbage collects along highways because people throw it out of their cars when in fact most of that garbage comes from a combination of gargabe trucks, open bed trucks and wind storms. Put the prisoners and juvies back to work I suppose.

ricospaz
    Participant

It’s the bums

Twixlen
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Traveling through the Carolinas for years at different times, I’ve always noticed that their highways are immaculate with well tended landscaping. There will always be garbage on the highway but I’d like to know what they do to keep it so clean. Most people assume that most of that garbage collects along highways because people throw it out of their cars when in fact most of that garbage comes from a combination of gargabe trucks, open bed trucks and wind storms. Put the prisoners and juvies back to work I suppose.

NC definitely uses prisoners for highway clean up… so does MS & I think Georgia. It’s likely that SC does too…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Twixlen said:
    I know Dayton does a very serious Earth Day clean up – I’ve not seen that level of clean-up take place here. We do parks and more neighborhood level clean ups for those volunteer clean-up days, it seems.

The Columbus Earth Day event here in Columbus are pretty serious business:

http://earthdaycolumbus.org/worksites/worksites-list/

Just not enough focus on highway/offramp clean ups?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve noted that it’s mainly ciggie butts that people probably flick out of their cars.

I think it’s just laziness.

Twixlen
    Participant

Walker said:
    The Columbus Earth Day event here in Columbus are pretty serious business:

http://earthdaycolumbus.org/worksites/worksites-list/

Just not enough focus on highway/offramp clean ups?

That’s exactly what I’m saying… we do a huge job, cleaning up lots of public spaces – the highways aren’t a big part of that. In Dayton, they are. If you happen to be in Dayton on the clean-up day, you’ll see swarms of t-shirt crews on the highways, concentrating around entrance/exit ramps & over/underpasses. A friend of mine is in the same group every year & has many stories of the things they’ve found (including a prosthetic leg).

Smifth27
    Participant

Maybe this is a concern that can be brough to the Mayor’s attention and the ODOT manager for this area. On your way home tonight, look at the amount of garbage and trash along the highway. It seems that they have not cleaned along the medians since early speing. Every other city that I have been to lately appeared to be cleaner.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Twixlen said:
    That’s exactly what I’m saying… we do a huge job, cleaning up lots of public spaces – the highways aren’t a big part of that. In Dayton, they are. If you happen to be in Dayton on the clean-up day, you’ll see swarms of t-shirt crews on the highways, concentrating around entrance/exit ramps & over/underpasses. A friend of mine is in the same group every year & has many stories of the things they’ve found (including a prosthetic leg).

I imagine you can see similar swarms of t-shirt crews on the highways and offramps and hear similar stories of finding strange things during Kick Butt Columbus:

http://www.facebook.com/kickbuttcolumbus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION