Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Why I might someday go to Sloopy's... we'll see

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Why I might someday go to Sloopy’s… we’ll see

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 316 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

Bear wrote

nexttuesday wrote You could spend your night on a Friday or Saturday warning everyone who parks in the lot, but that would take a lot of time and those guys might try to hit you or something. I would suggest letters to the editor, particularly the lantern since it’ll reach the most possible victims.

I was thinking of printing up bright yellow t-shirts that say “THESE ASSHOLES ARE HERE TO TOW YOUR CAR” and then going there on a Friday or Saturday night to hang out with them.

It also occurred to me that there might be applicable laws against loitering. Try looking for Sloppy’s on Google Maps. I’ll give you a hint, here is the address I got:

30 W Lawn Ave, Columbus, OH

:twisted:

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Bear wrote

It also occurred to me that there might be applicable laws against loitering.

I don’t think you can ‘loiter’ on your own property.

Bear
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote I don’t think you can ‘loiter’ on your own property.

The towing company doesn’t own Sloopy’s.

Mercurius wrote Try looking for Sloppy’s on Google Maps. I’ll give you a hint, here is the address I got:

30 W Lawn Ave, Columbus, OH

Um.

I don’t [i]think[/i] the towing company owns Sloopy’s….

… but the only address I see for Sloopy’s in Google Maps is the one on High St. ?!?

but yeah the Lawn St. address is the address of those s.o.b.’s with the tow trucks, all right

nexttuesday
    Participant

Hmm, maybe you are on to a giant conspiracy. Maybe the bar’s main purpose is not to turn a profit off of alcoholic college students but actually to run a front bar to attract alcoholics who will foolishly park their cars and get towed.

You can afford to give great drink specials if you’re making the majority of your money off of towing. And the customers associate your business with great cheap drinks, not counting in the 100 dollars they paid for parking.

Edit to add: they can call the cops on you for loitering, but they’ll just tell you to leave if you’re doing something wrong. If you explain to the cops why you are there they might even let you stay when they see you’re not drunk.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Bear wrote

I don’t [i]think[/i] the towing company owns Sloopy’s….

… but the only address I see for Sloopy’s in Google Maps is the one on High St. ?!?

but yeah the Lawn St. address is the address of those s.o.b.’s with the tow trucks, all right

Property ownership is really not where I was going with that. The land the bar sits on is actually owned by someone named Salim Ailabouni, but it is clearly the management of the tenant who gives permission for the ‘loitering’.

Roland
    Participant

They may own the parking lot but aren’t the sidewalks public property? You should be able to stand around there as long as you want. It might be fun to spend time there making sure they don’t make a dime.

blammo
    Participant

The police usually maintain a favorable relationship with tow truck operators. I wouldn’t look to them to go out of their way to help you take them on. A friend of mine had a tow truck driver pull a GUN on them…then when the police arrived, the driver put his gun away, told the police my friend had a knife but threw it away…the police spent all their time looking for the “missing knife” then arrested my friend and never even questioned the tow trucker.

I had a friend who worked as a tow truck driver for a repo company & they pretty much could run lights & break whatever traffic laws they felt like & the police looked the other way for the most part. So there’s certainly a brazen feeling of invulnerability some of those guys have and act upon.

misskitty
    Participant

Roland wrote They may own the parking lot but aren’t the sidewalks public property? You should be able to stand around there as long as you want. It might be fun to spend time there making sure they don’t make a dime.

thats true ! it is public so if you stand on the side walk right at the drive !

You could spend your night on a Friday or Saturday warning everyone who parks in the lot, but that would take a lot of time and those guys might try to hit you

^^ then you could sue them ;)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

misskitty wrote

^^ then you could sue them ;)

wouldn’t be the first… (assuming the bar management is responsible for these thugs being there)

(from http://www.liquorcontrol.ohio.gov/franklin.txt )

MJ CLUB 23 LLC $SLOOPYS $2619 N HIGH ST

(from http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-ohsdce/case_no-2:2008cv00889/case_id-125618/)

Plaintiff: Joe Hand Promotions, Inc.

Defendant: Michael Bradshaw, John Howland and MJ Club 23 LLC

Case Number: 2:2008cv00889

Filed: September 19, 2008

Court: Ohio Southern District Court

Office: Cable/Satellite TV Office [ Court Info ]

County: FRANKLIN

Presiding Judge: George C Smith

Referring Judge: Mark R. Abel

Jury Demanded By: 47:553 Unauthorized Reception of Cable Service

Amount Demanded: $170,000.00

laChewla
    Participant

Hael wrote

Always assume you will get towed in situations where you are not sure.

My father told me that a long time ago. Always assume they’re going to tow you. Only park where you definitely know you will not get towed.

Or ride a bike. ;)

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear about all the BS with this lot. Unfortunately I think it’s common practice for a lot of places where parking is at a premium.

Always a safe choice to Park on Duncan or somewhere East of High *Double Check the Signs!* and huff it for a few blocks. Beats the hell out of $150 for a tow.

Bear
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote wouldn’t be the first…

Ahhhh.

This post is deeply satisfying on multiple levels.

My wife’s last words to the parking lot guy were that karma would come back to get them. I’m liking this as the hand of karma.

I’m really liking $170,000.

I doubt they’ll get it. But the lawyer they’ll need will cost them plenty.

And last but not least… “Bradshaw.” “Howland.” The names I was looking for, from my first post.

Thank you, Mike.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Bear wrote

Rockmastermike wrote wouldn’t be the first…

Ahhhh.

And last but not least… “Bradshaw.” “Howland.” The names I was looking for, from my first post.

Thank you, Mike.

No prob. It’s public records.

As for those two, a google will turn up an article in a certain free weakly paper about how they wanted to make north campus a classier place. They were, in fact, suggesting a dress code for the entire area as you may remember from earlier this year. LOL

Bear
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote As for those two, a google will turn up an article in a certain free weakly paper about how they wanted to make north campus a classier place. They were, in fact, suggesting a dress code for the entire area as you may remember from earlier this year. LOL

I did find that.

It also mentions that this is their first venture into the entertainment biz, and that prior to this they both worked as realtors. I checked Mr. Bradshaw’s most recent place of employment, but I don’t see him listed as an agent, so I suspect they may have left that business entirely.

Regardless, I’ll file the names away, in case I ever come across them again.

Hael

laChewla wrote

Hael wrote

Always assume you will get towed in situations where you are not sure.

My father told me that a long time ago. Always assume they’re going to tow you. Only park where you definitely know you will not get towed.

Or ride a bike. ;)

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear about all the BS with this lot. Unfortunately I think it’s common practice for a lot of places where parking is at a premium.

Always a safe choice to Park on Duncan or somewhere East of High *Double Check the Signs!* and huff it for a few blocks. Beats the hell out of $150 for a tow.

Yep yep. Also, taxi cabs.

Bear
    Participant

[url=http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/contentbe/EPIC_shim.php?story=sites/thisweeknews/022108/common/News/022108-News-499295.html&tab=tab4]This article[/url] gives me a thought.

Ian MacConnell, president of the University Area Commission, said he’s upbeat about the approach taken by Bradshaw and Howland. They sat down with MacConnell and Seth Golding, another area commission member, to address some of the residents’ issues. Both sides are trying to work out a good-neighbor agreement, which must be approved by the commission.

Perhaps the way to address this issue would be to ask the University Area Commission to inform Sloopy’s that their neighbors are of the opinion that the signage in their lot is insufficient and that they’d appreciate it if Sloopy’s would be so kind as to put up a sign at the entrance to the lot to let people know that the entire lot is private parking. If that fails, perhaps they could make it clear that a group of those neighbors would be willing to chip in for the sign.

It might also make sense to say that the neighbors are concerned by their choice of a towing company that has had numerous strongly negative reviews posted on the internet and is located 6.5 miles south of the actual venue, and would like to suggest that a different towing company — 30Acre, or Bobcat, perhaps, both of which are considerably closer and represent less of a burden for those whose cars are towed — be chosen as their parking enforcement provider.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 316 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.