Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Why I might someday go to Sloopy's... we'll see

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Why I might someday go to Sloopy’s… we’ll see

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 316 total)
  • Author

michaelcoyote
    Participant

roy wrote

Bear wrote we didn’t see any signs at the entrance, in the middle of the parking lot, or around the perimeter.

Columbus City Codes 2151.10 in relevant part:

(f) An owner of private property may create a “PRIVATE TOW-AWAY ZONE” by posting thereon a sign, no smaller than 18” × 24” and visible from all entrances to the private property,

digital camera + kinko’s + small claims court == satisfaction

Cookie

michaelcoyote wrote

roy wrote

Bear wrote we didn’t see any signs at the entrance, in the middle of the parking lot, or around the perimeter.

(f) An owner of private property may create a “PRIVATE TOW-AWAY ZONE” by posting thereon a sign, no smaller than 18” × 24” and visible from all entrances to the private property,

If the sign is on the wall, it’s visible from the entrance to the parking lot.

blammo
    Participant

Cookie wrote

michaelcoyote wrote

roy wrote

If the sign is on the wall, it’s visible from the entrance to the parking lot.

Alas, it doesn’t say “present at all entrances to the private property”.

I’ve been towed out of that area more times than I care to admit, especially going to/playing at Oldfields. (you can always park behind Oldfields, no problem…just don’t even THINK of parking at Dirty Dungarees. If I can’t find a spot on High Street, I’ll usually just suck it up and park on Neil.)

lifeliberty
    Participant

you are not the first to get towed from that lot. they have people staked out in the lot to watch to see who parks there and then call in the tow if you don’t go to sloopys.

last summer we met some friends (2 different groups) at Ravari that made the same mistake of parking in that lot, both cars got towed.

the sign is on the wall. and manatee in an earlier thread complained about her car getting towed from burger king at lane and high, even though she was in the restaurant.

and someone else complained about getting towed from the taco bell on 5th ave when they just had to cross the street for something.

and Wendy’s on capus will tow.

you can’t park anywhere unless you go the establishment that the lot is for.

it’s an expensive mistake and sucks.

(Rumor)I’ve also heard that the sloopys owners get some of the tow profits.

(hudson and high)and also Jack and Benny’s has a sign that states “don’t park at the taco bell or you will get towed” as well

Bear
    Participant

roy wrote

Thanks for the clarification. The sign almost certainly fits the description — but it’s placed so high up on the wall that I, personally, never saw it.

I’m not claiming that they’ve violated the law. But their actions strike me as unethical and malicious. They knowingly cause great expense and inconvenience for people who mean them no harm.

lifeliberty
    Participant

from your description it seems like entrapment, and I can see it that way. i hate tow truck companies(though sometimes they are useful) and I do think sloopys is bad for the neighborhood.

the first time in a long time I saw a paddy wagon on campus was in front of sloopys the same night my friends got towed.

paddy wagon in front of establishment does not imply good neighbors.

Ndcent

I feel like Pro Tow and it’s employees should all die horrible deaths.

blammo
    Participant

Ndcent wrote I feel like Pro Tow and it’s employees should all die horrible deaths.

I’m thinking drawn & quartered using tow trucks. Some self-petard-hoisting should be involved.

Or maybe if you could somehow get one of their trucks impounded by the city…that would be sweet.

Mercurius
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote Bag of Sand + Funnel + removal of oil filter = satisfaction

More my style.

Bear
    Participant

Ndcent wrote I feel like Pro Tow and it’s employees should all die horrible deaths.

Well, don’t get me wrong, I won’t be sending them Christmas cards. But if it weren’t for businesses like Sloopy’s, tow truck companies would make their living by towing people who had been in accidents or whose cars had broken down… that sort of thing.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

a quick glance at their “yelp” rating is good for a few LOLs

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sloopys-bar-and-grill-columbus

Bear
    Participant

FWIW, here’s a visual of the lot.

This is old, from Google street view. The big white rectangle on the building is gone. The smaller signs underneath and to the right… I think are gone but may still be there. The sign to the left of the big white rectangle (and the old, torn half-sign to its left, which I think is just litter waiting to be removed) are the only hints that this is anything other than an open lot.

The guy from the towing company and his pal sat on the raised brick flower bed to the left of the entrance. They saw us get out of our cars. We saw them. They almost certainly heard us discuss the question of whether or not it was a private lot, because that’s what we were discussing when we were standing right there. They would have heard us say that we couldn’t tell. They chose not to enlighten us.

If they were there to catch people who knowingly park in their lot and go somewhere else, that moment was precisely the one at which they could have proved it by saying, “Actually, it’s a private lot” and pointing out the sign. If we had said, “Oh well,” and kept on going, then they’d have been in the clear, ethically speaking.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Bear wrote ethically speaking.

towtruck driver ethics are a lot of what keeps me from being a tow truck driver. (cept the AAA tow drivers, they seem to be a good lot)

nexttuesday
    Participant

Bear wrote

The guy from the towing company and his pal sat on the raised brick flower bed to the left of the entrance. They saw us get out of our cars. We saw them. They almost certainly heard us discuss the question of whether or not it was a private lot, because that’s what we were discussing when we were standing right there. They would have heard us say that we couldn’t tell. They chose not to enlighten us.

Well if they told you, they would be costing their company money. Where’s the fun in that?!

You could spend your night on a Friday or Saturday warning everyone who parks in the lot, but that would take a lot of time and those guys might try to hit you or something. I would suggest letters to the editor, particularly the lantern since it’ll reach the most possible victims.

Bear
    Participant

nexttuesday wrote You could spend your night on a Friday or Saturday warning everyone who parks in the lot, but that would take a lot of time and those guys might try to hit you or something. I would suggest letters to the editor, particularly the lantern since it’ll reach the most possible victims.

I was thinking of printing up bright yellow t-shirts that say “THESE ASSHOLES ARE HERE TO TOW YOUR CAR” and then going there on a Friday or Saturday night to hang out with them.

It also occurred to me that there might be applicable laws against loitering.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 316 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE