Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Why I might someday go to Sloopy's... we'll see

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Why I might someday go to Sloopy’s… we’ll see

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 316 total)
  • Author

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

No one wants to just put this thread behind them?

Cookie

Walker wrote >>

You mean other than the owners of Sloopy’s?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

I’m a follower of the “forgive but don’t forget” philosophy. Especially if it can save people from getting towed and verbally assaulted by shitheads..

In that vein, I humbly submit: “Sloopy’s a good neighbor? Signs point to no.”

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I dunno. If people are searching for info on Sloopy’s and finding this thread, then mission accomplished. Popping back in every few weeks to remind everyone that you’re STILL not ever going back sounds like a bit of overkill to me.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Walker wrote >> Popping back in every few weeks to remind everyone that you’re STILL not ever going back sounds like a bit of overkill to me.

Sounds like a bit of lulz to me.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Walker wrote >> Popping back in every few weeks to remind everyone that you’re STILL not ever going back sounds like a bit of overkill to me.

as well as reminding the owners of Sloopy’s we haven’t forgotten about them..

the little dears…

Bear
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

as well as reminding the owners of Sloopy’s we haven’t forgotten about them.

That, actually, was what I had in mind.

One of the owners has posted here and seemed in the end to be a pretty reasonable guy. The result of this thread, I thought, was a great example of what can happen when members of the community establish a dialog with a local business owner with whom they’ve had a problem and both sides work to resolve that problem. It seemed likely, despite a very unpromising start, that an outcome that would benefit local residents and area consumers was in the works. I want to believe that it is, or was, and that we all weren’t just being placated, but as time goes on, the owner doesn’t chime in, and the appearance of the lot doesn’t change, I get less hopeful.

So I, for one, am still extending the benefit of the doubt to the owners by assuming there’s some chance they’re still listening and didn’t just decide to blow this whole thing off. I’m not popping back in just to bump the thread and be a jerk.

mike74

wow, i mean really wow. Last i mentioned was towing was suspended and we were going to local businesses such as Sage to notify them they could use our lot in moderation etc etc. nothing has changed. Do any of you bother to goto sloopy’s if your so concerned? or even Sage?

I mean it seems everyone here is still harping on more signs. There are plenty but guess what. I got something better for you…. no towing. Ooops yep i said it, no towing. If you notice during the day we have tons of cars in our lot right now. Who what? oh thats crosbys drugs we allowed them full use of our entire lot (much like before) so they can park here during construction. Sage of course can use it day or night, and so does the liqour store etc etc. If it gets out of hand we will look into a different solution but right now we are managing with the towing stopped.

Has anyone here even gone back to sage (we all know how damn good the food is) and asked the owner anything? we spoke to him personally and reassured him to use if he needed it. Please frequent the places you are concerned about, during the (comical) construction most of them need it.

Excuse the frustration i’m sure you can see in my post, but one would assume that once i made the change, and notified everyone that we would all move on to more important topics (like columbus dragging out high street construction in an apparent attempt to shut down every small operation from dodridge on south to lane, while offering no solution or grant etc.)

I personally have too many jobs i work and so much responsibility that once i had addressed your problem fixed it above and beyond most of your requests, that i could move on and deal with other issues.

I feel there are plenty of signs at the moment, but since i don’t have towing active i’m not to worried about putting up more redundent signs. I would think everyone here if they are actually looking for things to be accomplished would be thrilled that a greedy businessman like myself heard a issue, addressed the issue and within a reasonable amount of time made modifications that exceeded what was requested. This message board actually worked to help you guys out, be happy, post nice things and enjoy your life, don’t live by negativity.

As for sloopy’s…. guess what. In this horrible construction that seems like its an attempt to ruin small business by all involved, sloopy’s is flourishing. We are holding our own and outpacing neighboring bars by a margin. Prices are cheap, entertainment is high and our bar still lives….. sorry. now get off the computer and live life…. enjoy it. see you out there somewhere on high st hopefully.

mike74

Bear wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote NEVAR FORGET

:lol: Well, we [i]are[/i] coming up on two months. I told myself that the first time I drove past and saw a “Private Parking” sign right at the entrance of the lot, I’d pull in, walk into the bar and order a drink.Been by a few times now… and still haven’t ordered that drink.Let me know if you see one, y’all. I’ve been thirsty lately. :wink:And while we wait, perhaps a “Rename the thread” contest is in order…?

I mean really? so you would rather towing be active and a sign put up yet again?

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mike74 wrote >> …columbus dragging out high street construction…

The North High construction timeline has been slated for a Fall 2009 completion date for some time now. Have you heard anything indicating that the completion has been pushed back from that target?

mike74

nothing sarcastic should have been said here, deleting it because it doesn’t belong. I’m just frustrated reading these posts from people after making things better.

Bear
    Participant

mike74 wrote >>

Bear wrote >>
    “Like a Good Neighbor, Sloopy’s is There… NOT!”
    “Sloopy’s: Good Towtrucks Make Good Neighbors”

Oh my, the more i read the more frustrated i become. I mean wow, i’m feeling like a fool giving into you guys now and ending towning and letting other business use my “expensive” lot that i pay for. Wow, i just can’t believe this, i went above your request for a sign and removed the towing in totality, then went to all neighboring bars and buildings and told them use it in moderation.
    So that isn’t what you really wanted u wanted just a sign instead? Aren’t we all adults? did you even really want a solution to this issue?

One quick item will help explain your confusion: when you said that you had “suspended” towing, I didn’t realize that you had meant permanently, or that you had turned the lot into, essentially, community property.

More soon.

mike74

Walker wrote >>

mike74 wrote >> …columbus dragging out high street construction…

The North High construction timeline has been slated for a Fall 2009 completion date for some time now. Have you heard anything indicating that the completion has been pushed back from that target?

initially we were told better things, i do know some major issue came up and they decided to take a longer path to fix (a complete rebuild of everything) , but you have no idea how frustrating it is to see the slow attempt of work barely being addressed while open ditches unsafe paths and boards layered upon eachother propped up with rocks for hundreds of people to walk on.

They tear out streets for months with no intent to pave them for months due to all kinds of excuses i couldn’t even tell u which is true that we get from the people involved. Then the constant attempt to close down main entrances to our lot, or the entire alley and our lot combined leaving duncan and wrongway one way traffic. The battles me and my partner have fought with the company involved just for reasonable solutions.

The fact they tear out sidewalks in the fall, and don’t return till spring to do any work. The shut down road that could be reopened if they just concentrated on each area doing the basics and moving along. I can’t speak for the road but i feel it was drug our way to long, one lame excuse was the need of a special machine shipped from germany to pour the crete. Is it true? i dont know. one of dozens of stories told.

Just get it done, quit working for 3 hours 1 time every week or 2 and leaving. Pick up your mess, leave the business a chance to survive. Don’t drag it out. So very frustrating…. if i ever did this to a customer in my construction business, i would never hear the end of it.
    edit to add this ………………..

Oh, and to add to it, a lady fell off the unsafe area put up by the workers and added a lawsuit. To us it wont affect our business as we are insured and the unsafe conditions (unlevel areas 8 inch drop into soft mud and only reinforement was a plastic lose orange fence leaning and ripped. If i recall right 2 or 3 people fell that night at the same time one with a broken arm. Tons of people have been hurt out there due to the unsafe conditions. Also they left massive machinery and huge concrete sewer blocks that kids climbed on jumping off etc. Piles of loose gravel larger than any car, and on and on. huge constant mess. Tomorrow the great people have decided on a st. patricks day where foot traffic is at its highest to concrete the front sidewalk of the bar after promising it would be complete by monday on monday…. yea! celebration almost lets make it harder for people to walk here

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I understand the ongoing frustration. I was just curious if the overall project timeline had changed since I last heard.

Bear
    Participant

So, first of all, let me apologize for the increase in your blood pressure, Mike. There’s clearly been some miscommunication, and I’ll do what I can to get to the bottom of it.

First of all… you totally discontinued all towing? 24/7/365? Seriously? I’m totally at a loss to understand why a sign wouldn’t be a better solution for your business. But either solution is perfectly cool with me. I’m sorry I didn’t realize that this was permanent. It would have made a lot of things make sense. But the absence of the towing company isn’t all that visible from the street.

As to what I was requesting, I’ll have to go back and review all of these posts to see whether or not I asked you to discontinue towing. I don’t think I did; I believe I suggested that you [i]change[/i] towing companies, because of the behavior of the guys we encountered. I have never, from the start, denied your right to tow people who park illegally on your lot. (From the very first post: “So, let’s start off by pointing out that we were, in fact, in the wrong, and that given that we did park there, they had every right to tow us”; from [url=https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/why-i-might-someday-go-to-sloopy-s-we-ll-see/page/3#post-120995]this post[/url], “I’ve been clear from the onset that you’ve got a right to tow people who park illegally in your lot. If you look back over my posts, I think I’ve been pretty consistent on that point. My complaint isn’t that you tow. You’re right that lots of places tow.”)

I’m not anti-business. I don’t expect you to roll over and quit towing people who abuse your lot. I seriously, seriously, don’t. It’s a great gesture, and now that I know that you’ve made it I greatly appreciate it (if only in retrospect)… but I realize that you need to do what you need to do in order to ensure that your customers have easy access to your business.

I made what I wanted clear in that same post:

[quote]How should you fix the situation? You claim that there were seven signs up at that time. We only saw the ones I mentioned, and the photo I provided illustrates just how easy it is to miss the fact that this is a private lot. If you’re really interested in only towing the malicious types, I would suggest sinking a very tall, very thick metal post into a very deep hole filled with concrete, right at the High Street entrance to the lot, and attaching a solid metal “PRIVATE PARKING – TOW ZONE” sign to the top of it. That would be a clear signal, to me anyway, that you care about separating those who knowingly transgress from those who don’t know any better — and that you care more about the second group than you do about enriching the towing company at their expense.[/quote]

So, to sum up:

1. One big clear sign at the entrance really was all I wanted.

2. I had no idea that towing had been discontinued entirely. That does kind of render the whole sign thing irrelevant, I have to admit.

3. Yep, I’m an adult. Honest.

Apologies again for the misunderstanding.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 316 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.