Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Why hasn\'t Clinton Twp been Annexed by nearby cities?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Why hasn\'t Clinton Twp been Annexed by nearby cities?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Question of the day to ponder: There are small disconnected bits of Clinton Township scattered from the Kenny Road area to Cleveland Avenue. Why have no cities moved to annex these last bits?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Columbus doesn’t want to take on any more roads to plow.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

and they’d have to put storm sewers into areas of north Linden that flood.

FireEngine
    Participant

Annexing places where poor people live isn’t nearly as exciting as Bike Lanes! Downtown Condos! Trendy Bars! 17 Stories! Or very revenue generating.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I believe property owners have to request to be annexed. Folks there may like paying double the property taxes and getting faster snow removal.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Here, let me google that for you:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/13/annexing-remains-vexing-problem-for-townships.html

The article is four years old, but still seems relevant.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Here, let me google that for you:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/13/annexing-remains-vexing-problem-for-townships.html

The article is four years old, but still seems relevant.

Interesting article, although it is actually from the township perspective of avoiding annexation, not the city failing to do so. She is also not entirely accurate that “they are entirely at the mercy of annexations” In fact, incorporating as a city or village is how you can stop annexations.

Pablo
    Participant

For what it’s worth, if Columbus were to annex Clinton and Mifflin Townships it would grow from the 15th to the 12th largest city in the US.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

For what it’s worth, if Columbus were to annex Clinton and Mifflin Townships it would grow from the 15th to the 12th largest city in the US.

Isn’t most of Mifflin Township Gahanna?

derm
    derm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>

Isn’t most of Mifflin Township Gahanna?

City of Columbus will swallow Gahanna like the Kraken. Then Bexley, then Grandview. Then finally those places schools will improve and the cost savings of streamlining all their municipal services will skyrocket into the stratosphere. Unfortunately we will rename the entire area 270 X 270, and the ensuing confusion will make all the people inside the outerbelt move to the burbs where the immorality and poor ethics of the populace will then increase, mitigating all the municipal cost savings.

Voter
    Participant

Better service and access to elected officials would be a good reason not to annex into the city of Columnbus. Very few residents are calling for annexation and the business seem to like it.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I think the Mayor Sensenbrenner “annex everything” philosophy has run its course. Coleman didn’t annex much and there’s no talk from Ginther about it far as I know.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

For efficiency’s sake Columbus needs to annex Clinton Twp West. It makes no sense so have the services spread out and with OSU focused on tech development on Kinnear it would make sense to have it all in one jurisdiction. Lots of improvements need to be made in the area but an eventual redevelopment of the Lennox and Kinnear areas would be better to happen in Columbus than Clinton Twp.

cbustransit
    Participant

The City doesn’t forcibly annex places. The property owner must request an annexation. In these areas, homeowners already have access to water and sewer. Some don’t pay income tax. Why annex into a larger City for worse services and higher taxes? Granted, I think they should, but from a residents’ perspective it doesn’t make much sense.

You can get more info from the Clinton-Mifflin Neighborhood Plan and the Clinton West Neighborhood Plan from Franklin County.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

The City doesn’t forcibly annex places.

I’m pretty sure cities actually can just annex some places.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE