Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Left Turn Lane Proposal at High & North Broadway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Left Turn Lane Proposal at High & North Broadway

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 140 total)
  • Author

ssnyder5

Why Go Round and Round when you could just turn left?

Last week, at the monthly Clintonville Area Commission, CAC Chair D Searcy reported the receipt of a letter from the Office of the Mayor stating the City of Columbus’ decision to move forward with the left turn lane at North High Street and North Broadway. (link to full letter)

Quote:
    “Following review of the Commission’s August 6, 2009, 5 to 4 vote on the East North Broadway Task Force recommendation to add a left turn lane to allow southbound access to High Street, the City of Columbus has decided to move forward with the left turn lane.”

• The addition of a left turn lane will take place entirely within city right-of-way.

• There is no need to acquire private property.

• Installation of the turn lane would be done with the addition of 10 feet of pavement in the public right-of-way at the junction with High Street.

• Space for the additional lane would be gradually reduced to 0′ at North Broadway Place, approx. 200 feet from High Street

This plan ensures the least amount of impact on the surrounding properties while at the same time being the most cost effective and logical solution to the problems that plague the intersection.

This plan was endorsed by the CAC following months of community meetings, and based upon the recommendations of a task force that was created specifically to consider the intersection proposal and the related traffic issues. The four CAC representatives of the districts immediately surrounding the intersection all voted in support of the recommendation to add a left turn lane to allow southbound access to High Street.

The Columbus City Council will vote on the appropriation of funds for this project on Monday, April 12. A small but very vocal group of Clintonville residents are currently engaged in a campaign to pressure city council members to ignore the process, and to override the decision that was reached as a result of extensive community participation by asking Councilmembers to deny funding for this project.

If you support the improvement of the North High Street and North Broadway intersection, please contact the Columbus City Council Members and register your support for the project:

Michael C. Mentel, Council President

Chair: Rules and References Committee

Legislative Aide: Mark Rutkus

Email: [email protected] (614) 645-8558

Hearcel F. Craig, Council President Pro Tem

Chair: Public Service and Transportation; and Minority and Business Development Committees

Email: [email protected] (614) 645-7379

Andrew J. Ginther

Chair: Finance and Economic Development; and Safety Committees

Legislative Aide: Kenneth Paul

Email: [email protected] (614) 645-2931

A. Troy Miller

Chair: Zoning; and Administration Committees

Legislative Aide: Jeanette Hawkins

Email: [email protected] (614) 645-2013

Eileen Y. Paley

Chair: Judiciary and Court Administration; and Utilities Committees

Legislative Aide: Nancy Sully

Email: [email protected] (614) 645-2010

Charleta B. Tavares

Chair: Health and Human Development; and Housing Committees

Legislative Aide: James C. Ragland

Email: [email protected] (614) 645-8580

Priscilla R. Tyson

Chair: Development; and Recreation and Parks Committees

Legislative Aide: Carl Williams

Email: [email protected] (614) 645-2933

Sincerely,

Sarah Snyder

District 2

Clintonville Area Commission

ssnyder5

Last summer, the CAC created a North High and North Broadway Task Force to provide recommendations to the CAC regarding the North High and North Broadway intersection proposal and the related traffic issues.

The task force was comprised of seven members of the community: two members of the North Broadway Street Association, two residents of neighboring streets, one member from Clintonville Incorporated, one member of the Clintonville Chamber of Commerce, and chaired by a member of the CAC.

All members of the task force agreed that there are issues that exist today at the intersection. Listed below are some of the issues the task force identified.

Traffic:
    • Ineffective southbound access to High Street from North Broadway
    • Currently functions at a service level of “E”
    • Traffic light is out of sync with the rest of High Street
    • Cut through traffic, traffic congestion and backup at the intersection

Enforcement
    • Illegal traffic maneuvers to gain southbound access to High Street
    • Lack of enforcement
    • Speeding

Safety
    • Pedestrian and Bicycle safety concerns

In August, based on the recommendations of the task force, all members of the CAC subsequently voted to support some type of improvement to the intersection.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

Thank you for this post. The turn lane is needed. The Roundabout was not needed.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

I haven’t followed this issue closely, but I recall there was talk of a installing a roundabout. Has that been tabled?

Not being a traffic engineer, I’m curious if a roundabout has advantages over the more traditional 4-way signal with left turn arrows.

ssnyder5

Jeff,

The issues related to the roundabout concept are explained in greater detail in the City’s Letter.

Some of the main points that were made:

“In light of these numbers, a planning level estimate for the E. North Broadway roundabout concept is at least $17 to $19 million before right-of-way costs are added.”

“• At the intersection of East North Broadway and North High, complete removal of the Starbucks on the northeast corner and the old theatre on the southwest corner.
    • Kroger’s parking lot could be affected to the point that a total take of that parcel may also be needed.”

asil
    Participant

ssnyder5 wrote >>
    A small but very vocal group of Clintonville residents are currently engaged in a campaign to pressure city council members to ignore the process, and to override the decision that was reached as a result of extensive community participation by asking Councilmembers to deny funding for this project.

Why are they still protesting?

• The addition of a left turn lane will take place entirely within city right-of-way.
    • There is no need to acquire private property.
    • Space for the additional lane would be gradually reduced to 0′ at North Broadway Place, approx. 200 feet from High Street.

Isn’t that what they wanted?! With the ribbons on the trees and the shrines and the “Day Democracy Died” tombstone…didn’t they just want to protect their property? The yard signs started off innocently enough, then turned mildly annoying but quickly progressed into laughable. Can’t wait to see what they have to say now.

Thanks for posting this. I fully support the turn lane.

Pablo
    Participant

I support the left turn lane as well. Out of curiosity, couldn’t the City save a little money by simply making the current westbound lane a left only lane (just like eastbound N. Broadway at Indianola)?

A roundabout at N. Broadway and Calumet would impact the 4 corner properties. I never understood why the N. Broadway folks were in favor of roundabouts…

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Pablo wrote >>
    I support the left turn lane as well. Out of curiosity, couldn’t the City save a little money by simply making the current westbound lane a left only lane (just like eastbound N. Broadway at Indianola)?
    A roundabout at N. Broadway and Calumet would impact the 4 corner properties. I never understood why the N. Broadway folks were in favor of roundabouts…

That’s kind of what I was getting at. What did the pro-roundabout argument entail? Do roundabouts improve traffic flow? Do they reduce speeds? Are they better at peak volume times? Are they more pedestrian friendly?

Pablo
    Participant

jeff_r wrote >>

Pablo wrote >>

That’s kind of what I was getting at. What did the pro-roundabout arguement entail? Do roundabouts improve traffic flow? Do they reduce speeds? Are they better at peak volume times? Are they more pedestrian friendly?

When the left turn issue surfaced a year or so ago, the E.N. Broadway folks where against it citing the 100s of schoolchildren in the area and how the left turn movement would put them at risk. Then they came out in favor of a roundabout where traffic is theoretically always moving. It left me scratching my head.

I think the real reason they’re against any improvements to E.N. Broadway is that they’re afraid the City ultimately wants to widen the street between High and Indianola (Domino Theory?). I would be against this as well…

ssnyder5

There are several issues related to the idea of simply changing a straight-through lane to a left turn lane:

– Currently, on North Broadway, the lanes on either side of the intersection are not well aligned with each other. The west side of North Broadway is wider than the east side.

– By adding a left turn lane, this misalignment can be corrected and also allows for an additional right turn lane to be added at the west side of the intersection with a simple restriping of the road.

– What you propose was in fact the configuration of the intersection 40 years ago. It lead to significantly increased traffic congestion, backups, and wait-times. Recent modeling and projections by the city traffic engineers showed that increased congestion, wait-times and backups would still result today with a single straight through lane and a left turn lane.

rory
    Participant

Pablo wrote >>

jeff_r wrote >>

Pablo wrote >>

That’s kind of what I was getting at. What did the pro-roundabout arguement entail? Do roundabouts improve traffic flow? Do they reduce speeds? Are they better at peak volume times? Are they more pedestrian friendly?

When the left turn issue surfaced a year or so ago, the E.N. Broadway folks where against it citing the 100s of schoolchildren in the area and how the left turn movement would put them at risk. Then they came out in favor of a roundabout where traffic is theoretically always moving. It left me scratching my head.
    I think the real reason they’re against any improvements to E.N. Broadway is that they’re afraid the City ultimately wants to widen the street between High and Indianola (Domino Theory?). I would be against this as well…

I find the no left turn because of schoolchildren argument to be incredibly rich when it seemed like half of Clintonville was having a hissy-fit because actually enforcing the speed limit on 4th and Summit (and two-way traffic proposal on N. 4th and Summit) would add a couple minutes to their commute. God forbid their right to drive 50 mph through a school zone with hundreds of kids in Weinland Park would be hampered.

Not only am I for the left turn lane I’m writing my letter right now to the city advocating that N. Broadway be six lanes one way because it’s a giant pain for me to get from Indianola to High St in a timely manner. It’s not the Domino Theory, it’s just more convenient for me! :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Left-turn-lane plan irritates many in Clintonville
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 11:25
    BY MARK FERENCHIK
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

After months of meetings, grandiose plans for multimillion-dollar roundabouts and protest ribbons tied around Clintonville trees, Columbus plans to install a left-turn lane at E. North Broadway onto southbound High Street.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/04/06/left-turn-lane-plan-irritates-many-in-clintonville.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101&title=Left-turn-lane+plan+irritates+many+in+Clintonville

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo
    Participant

ssnyder5 wrote >>

There are several issues related to the idea of simply changing a straight-through lane to a left turn lane:
    – Currently, on North Broadway, the lanes on either side of the intersection are not well aligned with each other. The west side of North Broadway is wider than the east side.
    – By adding a left turn lane, this misalignment can be corrected and also allows for an additional right turn lane to be added at the west side of the intersection with a simple restriping of the road.
    – What you propose was in fact the configuration of the intersection 40 years ago. It lead to significantly increased traffic congestion, backups, and wait-times. Recent modeling and projections by the city traffic engineers showed that increased congestion, wait-times and backups would still result today with a single straight through lane and a left turn lane.

Thanks for the info.

crsimp01
    crsimp01
    Participant

For those of you who live in the Clintonville area, 25 year resident Nora Jones is running for the Clintonville Area Commission – District 3 seat. District 3 is the area bounded by the center lines of Weber, High Street and Oakland Park and by the railroad tracks near I-71.
    If you would like to get to know her better or have some ideas for her, you can reach her at [email protected]

Early voting runs now through April 30th at the Whetstone Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library at the information desk. Election Day for District 3 will take place on Saturday, May 1st from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Clinton Heights Lutheran Church at 15 Clinton Heights Avenue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 140 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: