Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Films in Columbus/Ohio - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film Films in Columbus/Ohio – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author

placebohigh
    Participant

Does anyone know why there’s no movies or TV shows filmed in Columbus yet there are tons of films and TV shows filmed in Pittsburgh just a few hours away? Among first-run movies filmed within just the last 3 years in Pittsburgh include “She’s Out of my League” with Jay Baruchel, “Shelter” with Julianne Moore, “The Road” with Viggo Mortenson, “Adventureland” with Kristen Stewart, “My Bloody Valentine”, “Smart People” and “Sorority Row,” just to name a few. There’s also TV shows filmed there like “Fringe” and FX’s “Justified”. Does it have to do with tax breaks or something? I know we have a Columbus Film Commission but it doesn’t look like there’s anything at all currently filming here.

JonMyers
    Participant

I know a lot of cities and states have film promotion offices, which aggressively seek filmmakers to film there.

I remember coming across this office during the time I spent in Santa Fe:

http://www.nmfilm.com/

Does such an office exist in Columbus?

Core_Models

Home

But more than a website or promotional team, they have this:

http://kdka.com/local/Pittsburgh.film.producing.2.752536.html

ETA: We have our own website and tax credit, btw, but its about half of Pittsburgh’s. We also have a number of large budget films being shot in Ohio (and Columbus)

JonMyers
    Participant

Damn that’s fast. Google has already indexed this thread. It’s the 6th one down:

Google “Columbus Film Promotion Office“.

Pittsburgh is more visually interesting?

chaptal
    Participant

Not sure how much it has suffered due to budget cuts, but there is an Ohio Film Office.

http://www.discoverohiofilm.com/

Talcott

polymethylmethacrylate wrote >>
    Pittsburgh is more visually interesting?

I’m not sure if that’s necessarily an issue. In a lot of ways, you want your sets to be able to sub for any number of cities, so a certain level of nondescriptness is desirable. Now that is different for movies that are set (and filmed) in Pittsburgh, but those two don’t always overlap.

Still, it would be nice if movies set in Columbus could actually be filmed here (I’m looking at you, Pulse).

I am holding out hope that the Zombieland sequel will involve a trip to whatever remains of Columbus (one quick shot of a zombie-infested LeVeque tower would make my cinematic year).

placebohigh
    Participant

We also have a number of large budget films being shot in Ohio (and Columbus)

Like what??

JonMyers
    Participant

This is what I was looking for, the movies filmed in Columbus are here:

http://www.filmcolumbus.com/html/ohio-and-film.html

placebohigh
    Participant

They’re mostly low-budget horror films that aren’t really even “indie” movies per se (which I know is open to interpretation), they’re more genre-niche horror movies. A lot of them (not all of them) are basically straight to DVD movies available at horror conventions you can’t even find through Netflix.

It just seems like we have a lot of good scenic areas that would be perfect for mainstream movies (the Short North, downtown areas, German Village, a variety of parks/country areas surrounding, etc.) — and mainstream movies filming here are few and far between (“Little Man Tate”, “Traffic”, etc). I just think w/ all the talk of creating an image and identity for Columbus, this seems like a good opportunity and it makes me upset to see Pittsburgh get so much publicity in contrast.

Core_Models

Our tax credit is far newer (about a year old) and, as stated, about half of PGH’s (5M per production/30M total vs. 75M).

JonMyers
    Participant

Placebo, these figures aren’t entirely accurate, but they give you a ballpark figure. It’s safe to say nobody is going to the Columbus Film Commission’s website, which might be part of the reason.

Last month 6,356 people visited Pittsburgh’s Film Commission website and in contrast 175 people visited the Columbus Film Commission’s site.

^ Click to see enlarged view

Seems like the tax credit makes it a no-brainer. PGH is better for film makers.

placebohigh
    Participant

Yeah, definitely. Why don’t we have a better tax credit?

deraj1013
    Participant

placebohigh wrote >>

We also have a number of large budget films being shot in Ohio (and Columbus)

Like what??

Corbin Bernsen filmed a movie in Akron this year.

Plain Dealer blog

I’m sure the fight he got in there gave him an interesting Buckeye experience.

Bernsen in bar fight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)

The forum ‘Film’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: