Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Who's Next at City Council?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Who's Next at City Council?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Who’s Next on Deck to be Appointed at City Council?
    November 6, 2015 10:19 am – Walker Evans

With five of the seven members of City Council determined earlier this week by the voters of Columbus, you might think we’d be done for awhile with the transition of legislative leadership. Instead, there will actually be one more update in January when current Councilmember Eileen Paley steps down to take on her newly elected position as a Judge at the Franklin County Municipal Court.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-city-council-2016

News
    Participant

Could Kevin Boyce Return to City Council in 2016?
    November 12, 2015 3:51 pm – Walker Evans

Last week, when we wrote an update on the upcoming open seat at Columbus City Council, we spoke to a wide variety of potential candidates and political insiders who have indicated that they may or may not be seeking an appointment into the position. One name in particular came up several times during those conversations; a name that is already familiar to City Hall.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/kevin-boyce-city-council

rory
    Participant

Why can’t we just have elections for open seats like a normal city?

Kevin Boyce was an excellent member of Council and likely would be again. He was beaten in the State Treasurer’s race by that slime ball, Josh Mandel, who would say anything, true or not, to win. Not sure why Boyce would want to leave the Ohio House though.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Kevin Boyce was an excellent member of Council and likely would be again. He was beaten in the State Treasurer’s race by that slime ball, Josh Mandel, who would say anything, true or not, to win. Not sure why Boyce would want to leave the Ohio House though.

In the ohio house you have to actually follow most of the law because people are watching. A local gig is a free for all baby (campaign on the city payroll, use printers what-ever I WANT). as illustrated by the behavior of our esteemed long term cleptocrats here in cubs

FireEngine
    Participant

Boyce’s right hand man from the treasurer’s office is still hiding in Pakistan from his 15 year sentence for corruption in office. Business as usual.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

is this news? or a trial ballon, or more CU fluff?

Pro Se
    Participant

Not so FireEngine–he was extradited back to the United States back in August and remanded to federal custody to serve his sentence.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/08/26/amer-ahmad-extradition.html

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Discouraged Democrat wrote:</div>

In the ohio house you have to actually follow most of the law because people are watching. A local gig is a free for all baby (campaign on the city payroll, use printers what-ever I WANT). as illustrated by the behavior of our esteemed long term cleptocrats here in cubs

I don’t know. There have been some high profile cases of corruption by state legislators also in recent years (Luckie, Weddington, Mallory). Local government doesn’t have a monopoly on greed. At the state level, the stakes are higher, the money is greater and I would think so is the temptation.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Discouraged Democrat wrote:</div><br>

I don’t know. There have been some high profile cases of corruption by state legislators also in recent years (Luckie, Weddington, Mallory). Local government doesn’t have a monopoly on greed. At the state level, the stakes are higher, the money is greater and I would think so is the temptation.

Yep. But how many of those folks brought corrupt practices and sense of entitlement with them from local government experience. I’m told when the local pols get to the state house they have to give them basic re education about ethics, they literally show up and start using state resources for campaign purposes. And are surprised that it’s not “just the way it is, like at home”

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Discouraged Democrat wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Discouraged Democrat wrote:</div><br><br>

Yep. But how many of those folks brought corrupt practices and sense of entitlement with them from local government experience. I’m told when the local pols get to the state house they have to give them basic re education about ethics, they literally show up and start using state resources for campaign purposes. And are surprised that it’s not “just the way it is, like at home”

I believe you. But the idea of one politician giving another politician lessons on ethics is somewhat comical.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I think it’s permanent staffers. The people that process matters to. The people who hold together the mess for us.

NDaEast
    Participant

I heard recently it may be Larry Price. larry worked in Mayor Coleman’s office for a few years, then served two years in the state house before being upset by Mike Mitchell pver Price’s religious positions on LGBTQ issues. Most recently he was a Ginther election surrogate in the Black community. Definately loyal, which is checkbox number one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE