Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Who is "Legalize Ohio 2016?"

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Who is "Legalize Ohio 2016?"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Eugene_C
    Participant

I’m getting all sorts of social media shares about a new cannabis legalization group called “Legalize Ohio 2016”. I can’t seem to figure exactly out who they are and was wondering if they’re related in any way to Responsible Ohio. They appear to have a ballot effort under way and are asking for money, but I want to know who they are before I send any.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

They are a now defunct effort to create a different amendment to legalize marijuana that won’t meet the scrutiny created by issue 2.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

They are a now defunct effort to create a different amendment to legalize marijuana that won’t meet the scrutiny created by issue 2.

Does issue 2 actually prevent monopolies? or does it only require that your new monopoly amendment now include an exemption to the monopoly provision?

News
    Participant

Marijuana Backers Prepare for 2016 Legalization Efforts
    November 4, 2015 10:34 am – Walker Evans

Hot on the heels of the defeat of yesterday’s statewide ballot issue that would have legalized marijuana in Ohio through the creation of an industry monopoly, a separate effort is already under way to get a new constitutional amendment on the ballot for voters in 2016.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/ohio-marijuana-law-2016

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

They’re not defunct at all. They’ve been lobbying on OSU’s campus since I moved in and they were actually advocating voting NO on 3, and when I asked about 2, they said the outcome of that doesn’t effect their proposal. They’re very much alive and one of the reasons that I voted NO on 3 in hopes Legalize Ohio 2016 would step up and they have, they were out on the Oval asking for people to sign their petition for a 2016 vote.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>

when I asked about 2, they said the outcome of that doesn’t effect their proposal.

Then you were mislead.

RBloodworth
    Participant

I’m just taking a guess here, but I believe that they’re probably just the same band of Libertarian types that have tried and failed to put this issue on the ballot for years. I don’t see this working either. Face it: Issue 3 was the best, most well-funded opportunity we’ve ever had to make real marijuana reform, and we fucking blew it. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: this state is just too socially conservative and packed with too many people who have a negative view of marijuana for it to be legalized via a ballot initiative. It’s going to take the federal government changing the law for this to happen here, and I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Actually both Sanders and Clinton are making comments about federal drug schedule changes to pot.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Actually both Sanders and Clinton are making comments about federal drug schedule changes to pot.

Sure, Sanders even introduced a bill to legalize today.
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s2237

And it will go absolutely no where.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

It seems to me that Ohio should start with just medical. There is much broader support for that. After a couple years, there will probably be a few more (more progressive) states that have done full legalization and the federal government may also lighten up a bit after another four years. Then I think Ohio voters could be ready for full legalization.

I think Issue 3 went for too much too quickly. This is still the conservative Midwest and they need to take things one step at a time.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

IT’S BIG MONOPOLY, WATCH OUT!!! -issue 2 lobbyists

Josh T
    Participant

I’m just taking a guess here, but I believe that they’re probably just the same band of Libertarian types that have tried and failed to put this issue on the ballot for years. I don’t see this working either. Face it: Issue 3 was the best, most well-funded opportunity we’ve ever had to make real marijuana reform, and we fucking blew it. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: this state is just too socially conservative and packed with too many people who have a negative view of marijuana for it to be legalized via a ballot initiative. It’s going to take the federal government changing the law for this to happen here, and I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Don’t be so cynical. Ohioans recognized the shit sandwich that was Issue 3 and rejected it. The demographics are in legalization’s favor right now and will only improve. It’s time for people like you to either donate and volunteer; haters to the left.

Josh T
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>_calebross wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div><br>

when I asked about 2, they said the outcome of that doesn’t effect their proposal.

Then you were mislead.

I’ll throw my two cents in, in the form of a snide, cycnical one liner:

You’d have to make a monumental effort to be more incorrect than Core.

Wasn’t that fun?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’ll throw my two cents in, in the form of a snide, cycnical one liner:

You’d have to make a monumental effort to be more incorrect than Core.

Wasn’t that fun?

Really not snide or cynical, just accurate. The guys who brought you Issue 2 are the same ones who just voted to defund Planned Parenthood and introduced a bill on Tuesday to drug test welfare recipients. Are you really under the impression that their intention in the vagueness of this issue’s reading isn’t to block all future attempts at legalization? At this point, Husted basically gets to decide what meets the criteria (the committee is him and two Republicans vs. two Democrats, so he’s the deciding vote). The way it was written, it can quite easily be applied to determine that if any group of people get a commercial interest that isn’t then available to everyone it doesn’t pass muster.

That’s putting aside the fact that this group doesn’t have even a tenth of the resources required to mobilize a vote large enough to pass.

Issue 3 was the best shot Ohio had, its dead, and now it will be a LONG wait for the Federal Government to make the change.

gold sounds
    Participant

My friend works for a lobbying group and met with Legalize Ohio. He described them as very poorly funded (although they now claim to have financial backing from previous RO investors) and completely disorganized. The president/co-founder has no previous experience with running a campaign.

I really hope they can pull it together, but now that the state legislature has begun looking into the issue, I have a feeling that they’ll end up enacting their own highly restrictive, medical-only version prior to the election and that’s the best we’re going to get. Again, I truly hope not but I’m suspending my optimism until I see some evidence that LO2016 has what it takes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE