Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snarf wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div><br>
    It is funny that the urban fetish folks don’t realize that they may be celebrating a near mirror image of the flight to the shiny new suburbs of the past. “everything done before me is crap, everything done by me is righteous”

Or they don’t give a damn.

one in the same. You have to be able to see at least a little of the big picture to give a damn.

And….. Educated white people flocking to the city centers are really not the enlightened creatures the pop culture tells them they are. Just a bunch of assholes just like their parents that moved to the suburbs and trashed the city dwellers.<br>
    Rinse repeat.

I’m not sorry.

thomaspickles
    Participant

^^

violent government overreach in the private sector.

Violent government overreach? What are you even talking about? Violent what? And they are creating below market rate ‘workforce’ housing right now in downtown of all places. So yeah they can create ‘artificially’ lower priced housing(not necessarily section 8) but below market rate and I have not seen any government ‘violence’ lol. That is actually something the city has been actively pursuing and if the city decided to do the same thing in Weinland Park or East Franklinton or any other up and coming place, they will.

This whole thread has gone off the rails in all kinds of ways.

It is violent, how do you think these type of laws are enforced?! Through the threat of violence.

BrianCW
    Participant

This thread (as does the $15 min wage one) makes me laugh with its absurdity.

JakeNic
    Participant

The veiled racism in this thread is pretty awful. I posted a link to this thread so people could see the references to ‘hip hop’, sagging, little thugs, etc.-all the references to white vs black areas of town. It is disgraceful. I grew up in a working class area and live in one now and it is cultural thing-trashy is trashy and has no color.

The reference to Columbus not turning into ‘Detroit’ is classic. To the white bigots who posted-congratulations on your white privilege-I am sure you will keep doing what you can to keep it.

And therein lies the issue. I have no problem having an open and honest discussion about privilege, perceived or otherwise. But I can’t help but bristle when, regardless of the fact that you don’t know me or anything about me, you assume #1 – that I’m white and #2 – that I’m a bigot. How is that furthering the discussion?

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>
    The veiled racism in this thread is pretty awful. I posted a link to this thread so people could see the references to ‘hip hop’, sagging, little thugs, etc.-all the references to white vs black areas of town. It is disgraceful. I grew up in a working class area and live in one now and it is cultural thing-trashy is trashy and has no color.

The reference to Columbus not turning into ‘Detroit’ is classic. To the white bigots who posted-congratulations on your white privilege-I am sure you will keep doing what you can to keep it.

And therein lies the issue. I have no problem having an open and honest discussion about privilege, perceived or otherwise. But I can’t help but bristle when, regardless of the fact that you don’t know me or anything about me, you assume #1 – that I’m white and #2 – that I’m a bigot. How is that furthering the discussion?

You were responding to someone saying they had no guilt for being ‘childless moneyed and white’ so I think that part was not an unreasonable assumption given your response.

And your post in general

Thank you. I resent the fact that the people who have the means to prevent Columbus from becoming Detroit should somehow feel guilt for doing so. “You’re doing your part, but you aren’t sacrificing everything you’ve worked for, so shame! Shame!” BS.

is pretty ‘out there’ and sure makes you sound like an entitled jerk at best, if not a bigot. How was any part of your post really ‘furthering the discussion’ as you say? And I said your post was ‘classic’-I never directly called you a ‘bigot’-guilty conscience maybe?

JakeNic
    Participant

(Why am I responding… why am I responding… walk away… Aw, eff it.)

Ok, I just drafted this whole response and then deleted it. Again, you don’t know me, you don’t know anything about me, and there is no reason for me to defend myself to you. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. I know which one I am, and I’m sure you think you know which one you are, too.

Best of luck.

JakeNic
    Participant

“Anti-locusts” is hilarious, indeed. :-)

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snarf wrote:</div>
    As veiled as the racism that began this thread topic? Or is that veiled homophobia? Moneyed childless whites sounds like a euphemism for “the gays”.

I live in my grandparents old house they left to me when they died. It’s not in a nice neighborhood at all. There was a shooting very close to here recently, and I don’t like this neighborhood but I’m going to college and have to live here for now for financial reasons.

I explain that to set up for a story about my grandpa. Two of the neighbors were outside talking to him about how they heard that “some of the gays” were going to move in the neighborhood and how it was going to be a terrible thing to have that influence, and how it would be like a plague.

I can’t remember exactly what he said but it was something like “A plague? What are you worried about? Have you seen how this neighborhood as turned to rot? From what I can see gay people are like anti-locusts. They move in and restore old neighborhoods and make them beautiful. What I wouldn’t give for a whole gang of gay people to move in this neighborhood!”

Anti-locusts made me giggle. He meant it in a nice way, I swear :)

wpcc88
    Participant

The reason I don’t want to live in the suburbs is because I despise them and even my parents that live there hate them. I grew up in the country and we moved to the suburbs when my mom got relocated. I oddly either enjoy being right in the heart of it all or the heartland, nothing in between(aka the burbs).

This is not a result of me coming from a privileged family or having any sort of advantage over anyone else. If anything I’m the polar opposite and can actually relate more to those that are being gentrified; which in my personal experience with neighbors, friends and roommates I think if you really dug into it you would find much of the same. I chose to live in IV because #1 it was affordable(I pay around $600/mo, $1800 total), #2 it sort of felt like a throwback to my campus days, #3 because I enjoy the location.

WJT
    Participant

(Why am I responding… why am I responding… walk away… Aw, eff it.)

Ok, I just drafted this whole response and then deleted it. Again, you don’t know me, you don’t know anything about me, and there is no reason for me to defend myself to you. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. I know which one I am, and I’m sure you think you know which one you are, too.

Best of luck.

I realize my posts were a stretch as well. And no, I don’t know you or anyone who posted, I could only reply or respond to what people said in one or two posts-which is not necessarily and indicator of who they are. What was expressed appeared to me to be racist. That does not necessarily mean the person is racist or a bigot- I could have worded things better and clarified myself in my responses, I admit that.

I have found that the us vs them take on things is rarely accurate. Things are rarely completely black and white(excuse the pun), most things are shades of gray and most ‘truths’ fall somewhere in the middle, as most opinions do also. Taking a ‘with us or against us’ view is usually not productive and runs counter to cooperation and finding common ground-which is when progress is usually made. I may have strong opinions but I am ultimately a ‘let’s work together and find some common ground’ type of person.

Best of luck to you as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION