Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Seriously, who falls for this kind of click bait? Some no-name writer trying to make a name for himself, obviously.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

methinks tho doth protest too much…it is interesting to see the arc of the discussion, almost felt like the CU of old, lively debate, and minor invective.

I think the main point whether folks want to internalize it or not is that the attitude of the newer richer neighbors if often condescending and intolerant of the long time residents. Cultural imperialism in a sense, resentment is created when long time residents feel looked down upon. It really is a mindset and reading this thread careen all over the place confirms it. The expectations of someone who bought into a neighborhood early when it and the home prices were depressed are different from someone who paid 500K for a place, that gulf in price point says a lot about the challenges that await us as we move into the next phases of gentrification.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

It is funny that the urban fetish folks don’t realize that they may be celebrating a near mirror image of the flight to the shiny new suburbs of the past. “everything done before me is crap, everything done by me is righteous”

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

It is funny that the urban fetish folks don’t realize that they may be celebrating a near mirror image of the flight to the shiny new suburbs of the past. “everything done before me is crap, everything done by me is righteous”

Or they don’t give a damn.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>

Or they don’t give a damn.

one in the same. You have to be able to see at least a little of the big picture to give a damn.

And….. Educated white people flocking to the city centers are really not the enlightened creatures the pop culture tells them they are. Just a bunch of assholes just like their parents that moved to the suburbs and trashed the city dwellers.
    Rinse repeat.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Everyone wants the same things; a nice roof over one’s head in a safe area where one can walk around the block w/o interrupting a drug purchase, or being accosted, or having your car constantly mined for loose change. There is no pragmatic way to live well below one’s means and not find one’s neighbors conducting their lives in a manner that does not conform to one’s expectations as one educates one’s self and becomes a bit more affluent. It’s economic,not race; live in any poor small town, especially in southern or western Ohio and you’ll be longing for the “gentrification” of 43215. Tis the reason for the realtor’s song “location x 3″; It’s always surprising to me that the “section 8 landlords” hold on as long as they do, when a sale or some rehab would dramatically increase their investment. I’m good with the simple life but when the “entrepreneurs” bring violence to your block it’s time for change.

Problem is, Columbus isn’t just talking about section 8 housing. We are talking about affordable places to buy or rent. There are some in the surrounding neighborhood. But I’m constantly disappointed by how every single build downtown is extremely expensive and/or high square footage. Let’s start first with affordable housing and from there see what housing diversity issues still remain.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

Just wondering why we need affordavle housing in a particular neighborhood? Isn’t that why one goes to school and works hard so they can live where they want? I really don’t understand why everything has to be equal.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

because adequate housing is a right, and if wages are depressed and housing prices continue to rise then there is a disconnect and a problem, unless downwards mobility is your goal.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Just wondering why we need affordavle housing in a particular neighborhood? Isn’t that why one goes to school and works hard so they can live where they want? I really don’t understand why everything has to be equal.

You think people who want affordable housing don’t work hard? I live downtown. If I want downtown to be vibrant, we need better retail diversity and density, both of which would be achieved through income diversity. We need residents who would give up their cars. We need more younger people who can build vibrancy to the neighborhoods.

Why in the world would anyone want our downtown to only be accessible to rich people?

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ImNotaStar wrote:</div>

You think people who want affordable housing don’t work hard? I live downtown. If I want downtown to be vibrant, we need better retail diversity and density, both of which would be achieved through income diversity. We need residents who would give up their cars. We need more younger people who can build vibrancy to the neighborhoods.

Why in the world would anyone want our downtown to only be accessible to rich people?

Because everyone has the same start in life, everyone has equal opportunity, because life is fair, because no wealthy people who have ‘made it’ have had it given to them on a silver platter-they all worked their asses off for it of course and all ‘the poors’ and less wealthy are lazy and did not want to learn or work hard, right? Rigggghhhttt! [/sarcasm]. They just do not get it.

We would like diversity because we think it is enriching to people who are a part of it. And affordable housing or workforce housing does not mean letting criminals have a free reign in a neighborhood. Also because maybe some of us don’t think that exclusivity and segregation are not what our nation is supposed to be about?

*Also if the person who hacked my computer happens to be from this thread-yes I do like my clicks thank you. Funny how that has never happened to me-until right after I posted in this thread. Probably just a coincidence but who knows?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

so why are tax abatements being given for new builds that sell for $400 K. The Burwell has abatements, assuming most of the new builds are getting them too….isn’t this welfare for the wealthy and a weird incentive to drive up the cost of living for the rest of us?

ohbr
    Participant

so why are tax abatements being given for new builds that sell for $400 K. The Burwell has abatements, assuming most of the new builds are getting them too….isn’t this welfare for the wealthy and a weird incentive to drive up the cost of living for the rest of us?

Because big money gets big money.

ImNotAStar It’s not about equal. I don’t think anyone is asking for someone in a 500k + condo to have the same living standard as those that can’t afford it. Most are simply looking for smaller, more affordable, less high end living, potentially without the added expense of parking downtown, or downtown adjacent. It’s not about equal materials, it’s equal access. A city’s core should not be the playground of the rich. Let’s not turn our core into gated communities.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Let’s not turn our core into gated communities.

Oh like some of the former quarry land along the Scioto that could have become park land in the 1990s but the city didn’t buy it when it was on the market. Yes they have a closed gate but you can still paddle on the river past their McMansions.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ImNotaStar wrote:</div>

Manhattan is 66788888xmore vibrant than here and it’s only people with money. I’ll take Manhattan over Columbus anyway, oh wait that is why I am moving there, thank god.

DLDude
    Participant

because adequate housing is a right, and if wages are depressed and housing prices continue to rise then there is a disconnect and a problem, unless downwards mobility is your goal.

Though I agree, I don’t think it’s a right to live wherever. It’s sort of how I feel about the Section 8 housing in the Short North. Though those people have a right to adequate housing, I think it’s within the city’s right to say “Well, that housing is going to be somewhere else now” since afterall they are the ones paying for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS